Beware the Record Keepers, i.e. Racing Reference & Fielden - Do You Know the Reds - Myler & Robinson?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

In a discussion of the Rex White win on June 29, 1958, the subject came up of who was the actual car owner for that win, since different sources list different owners.

One thing I can tell you for sure is that Racing Reference and just about every single other source is TOTALLY INCORRECT compared with the actual listed owner of record on the original event entry blank submitted to NASCAR and the promoter (a copy was mailed to each and either could refuse the entry, like Darlington always did to Wendell Scott) when they list the car owner as Petty Enterprises, Roush Racing, Hendrick Motorsports, etc.

I have handled enough NASCAR Cup, LMS, Modified, Busch, etc. entry blanks in my lifetime to know that is NOT how those entry blanks were filled out.

For instance, for tax purposes, to skirt NASCAR rules on multiple car teams and for other reasons, when I was at the Richmond track, an entry blank NEVER, EVER read Roush Racing. It would list Jack Roush or Geoff Smith or Geoff Smith's daughter as the car owner. An entry blank never read Hendrick Motorsports. It would read Rick Hendrick, Linda Hendrick, Joe Hendrick, Ricky Hendrick and assorted others as the car owner.

The same is true for Petty Enterprises. An entry blank was never received listing that name as the car owner. NASCAR rules specifically required the naming of an individual as the car owner.

That brings me to Red Myler. Do you know Red Myler?

I first met Kenny "Red" Myler in Fall of 1981 at Bud Moore's Spartanburg, SC race shop when we visited to affirm the move we'd make for 1982 taking our Wrangler sponsorship with Dale Earnhardt there from Richard Childress for the 1982 Winston Cup season.

Bud introduced me to a very nice, soft spoken gentleman in a front corner of the shop building rear end gears. That was Red. I was in my mid-30s then and I thought him elderly. He was probably about my age today. I found out later that he was Bud's shop foreman during their multi-car Trans-Am Championship winning days.

Red never went to the track in those days, though I believe he came to one of the Charlotte races. He stayed at the shop. It was on another of my visits that Red mentioned to me that his daughter was married to Maurice Petty, but I didn't make any other connection between Red and the Pettys.

Well, if you look at Racing Reference or most any other stat site, you'll see Petty Enterprises listed as the car owner for the winning Oldsmobile in the inaugural 1959 Daytona 500 won by Lee Petty. However, if you had access to the actual entry blank, you'd find the car owner of record for that winning Oldsmobile listed as Ken Myler. Myler was also the crew chief for that winning entry. Why was Myler listed as the owner? Many think it was to lessen the friction with Chrysler Corporation over Lee's impending switch to Plymouth.

Then again, knowing what an astute businessman Lee Petty was, Red may have been listed as the owner simply for tax purposes.

If you look up Red's name - usually listed as Kenny Myler - you'll find Red listed as the winning car owner for Cale Yarborough at Valdosta, Georgia in 1965. Not a whole lot of other info, though.

The stats won't tell you that it was Red who Lee Petty dispatched as chief mechanic to Columbia, SC in 1958 to accompany a young Richard Petty and Dale Inman for their first race.

The stats won't tell you of the success Red had with Jack Smith.

The stats won't tell you how many multiple car teams Red turned wrenches on, including for the Pettys, Moore and Smith.

In fact, in a 1960s story in the Spartanburg paper written by later to be NASCAR VP of Marketing and Communications, Jim Foster, it was estimated that if records were kept, no mechanic in NASCAR history had turned the wrenches for more multiple car entries that finished 1-2 in the same race or both scored top-5 finishes in the same race than Kenny "Red" Myler.

That was the same Kenny "Red" Myler - the quiet fellow working in the background, but the actual owner of record on the "Official" NASCAR and Daytona International Speedway entry blank for the first Daytona 500 winning car.

I really had the "bad stats" thing hammered home on Thanksgiving Day 1990 when I was interviewing Ned Jarrett for a feature magazine story I had been commissioned to write for a Tennessee publication. As Media Relations Director at the time for the Richmond track, we naturally talked about Ned's long running Ford factory sponsorship by Richmond "Ford" Motor Company.

We also talked about Ned's Richmond races. I mentioned his 1963 Richmond win, listed in the Winston Media Guide in a Bondy Long car and Ned quickly corrected me. That winning car, he informed me, was owned by Charles "Red" Robinson of Burton-Robinson Construction Company in Manassas, Virginia - the man who retired from racing when Jimmy Pardue was killed in his car the following year at Charlotte.

Ned wanted me to set the record straight that many sources had his winning car owner incorrect, including the "Official" NASCAR Winston Cup Series Media Guide which had gotten their stats from my old friend, Gene Granger in Spartanburg. Gene and Greg Fielden at one time collaborated on their stats research projects. Ned wanted Red Robinson to get credit where credit was due. It about took an act of God, but because of my relationship with Gene, his and Winston's stats were changed to reflect the real winning car owner as named by the man who drove the car.

How many more of those deals are out there? Many, I'm sure.

What Gene Granger, Greg Fielden, Racing Reference, Ultimate Racing History and all the other dedicated purveyors of racing stats have achieved is amazing. I have the utmost respect for what those folks have accomplished and use their data bases nearly every day.

Remember, however, just because you see it listed in a data base doesn't mean it's correct.

Remember the Reds. That's why it is so important to record NASCAR history from the actual history makers and the fans and crews and media who were there.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 08/07/18 05:12:09AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

"Records and data amassed, sorted, cross checked and published by Greg Fielden, Bob Latford, and most certainly Alan Boodman, who operates Racing-Reference.info are to be commended for a job so vast it boggles even a computer, never mind the human mind"

I believe I stated as much in my post, did I not???. "What Gene Granger, Greg Fielden, Racing Reference, Ultimate Racing History and all the other dedicated purveyors of racing stats have achieved is amazing. I have the utmost respect for what those folks have accomplished and use their data bases nearly every day."

However, for the uninitiated, possibly including Mr. Boodman and Mr. Fielden there is a lot more going on than meets the eye sometimes. I'm not at all convinced that either has ever seen a real NASCAR entry blank.

I think everybody should know about Red Myler and I am certainly glad that I got to correct everybody's info on Ned and Red Robinson.

As for Asheville-Weaverville, why doesn't someone simply ask Rex?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

The car that many racing stats folks USED to list as a Bondy Long car pre-1990.

--
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
12 years ago
820 posts

Dave, Great story on the "Reds" I think just about every team no matter how big or how small has a quiet un-assuming person in the back ground doing what turns out to be an important job.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

could the answer to that be-------------------------------thats to easy Dave!!!

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

I wish I knew more about Red Myler. I'd heard the King and Dale Inman reference his name many times when they started in the late 50s. And it took me until a few years ago to connect the dots between the RED Myler of the Petty Engineering Oldsmobile/Plymouth team and the Kenny Myler who worked for Holman & Moody's Ford operation (and was the owner of record for Cale Yarborough's 1st career GN win in 1965).

And even more recently is when I learned Myler was Maurice Petty's father-in-law. I can't recall what year Trish & Maurice were married - or when Red went to work for Lee. So I'm not sure which came first for Red - his employment at PE or his FIL relationship with Maurice. I do remember tweeting a Kyle a couple of years ago asking if Red Myler was a 'friend or family member?'. It was back when KP actually tweeted legit answers vs. wasting time calling out his haters and other other stooges. He replied to me "friend". Not sure if that was just a throwaway answer or if genuinely didn't know Red was related to the Petty bunch through marriage.

I'd also like to learn more about how he ended up at H&M. Did he have a falling out with Lee (like many did. haha)? Did H&M and FoMoCo simply offer more pay and made it worthwhile enough to leave PE? Was he looking for a place to work closer to home, to get off the road, etc.?

I name dropped Red Myler when I got the chance to meet Inman last fall at Dover. Not sure what I expected him to say - but I went fishing anyway. I didn't really get much new info at all. I know he & Richard like to talk old school, and I was hoping to go all the way back to the beginning. But it turned out to be fruitless for me.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Obit:

KENNETH W. "RED" MYLER
1-22-98
Kenneth W. "Red" Myler, 69, of 3606 Randleman Rd., died Tuesday, Jan. 20, 1998, at his residence.
The funeral will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, Jan. 23, 1998, at South Elm St. Baptist Church in Greensboro. Burial will follow the service in Guilford Memorial Park.
He attended South Elm St. Baptist Church and worked in Winston Cup Racing for 40 years, formerly associated with Petty Enterprises, Holman-Moody, Jack Smith, and most recently retired after 25 years, from Bud Moore Engineering in Spartanburg. He is preceded in death by his wife, Sue P. Myler.
He is survived by his daughters and sons-in-law, Mary and Nelson McCorquodale of High Point; and Patricia and Maurice Petty of Randleman; sons, J.R. Harris of Greensboro; Daniel Harris of McCormick, SC; sisters, Louise Mendenhall of Pacific Junction, Iowa; and Paul Myler of Missouri Valley, Iowa; nine grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren; and many special friends.
He was loved by so many and will be missed by all who knew him, especially those who so lovingly refered to him as Pop.
The family will receive friends from 7 to 9 p.m. tonight, at Hanes-Lineberry, Vanstory Chapel and other times, at the residence.
The family requests memorial contributions may be made to the South Elm St. Baptist Church, 4212 S. Elm-Eugene St., Greensboro, NC 27406.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Red would have only been 53 when I met him and I thought he was "elderly." Boy, did I have a lot to learn.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

From Cale Yarborough's NASCAR Hall of Fame Induction speech:

"Then there was Kenny Myler, who we had a good run with. We were running a yearold car that Ford was letting us run, 1964 Ford, 1965. Kenny gave me my first win in Valdosta, Georgia, on a halfmile dirt track in 1965. That dirt track racing was tough back then."

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, I think you'll find this link very interesting. It takes you to a 1961 letter Red Myler's wife wrote to Jim Foster at the Spartanburg newspaper promoting his accomplishments up to that time:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19611022&id=...

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

And Chase, now I am beginning to believe everybody is related.

I just read in an old newspaper story that Ken Wilson, the engine builder for Chuck Rider at Bahari when Michael Waltrip drove there was the grandson of Red Myler and nephew of Maurice Petty. I never knew that. Of course, Mikey once lived with Richard and Lynda.

--
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Brothers and sisters I have none,but this mans father is my fathers son---- Does that kinda fit the bill??

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Yum!!! Thanks for sharing, Billy.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Billy,

There is another story in the Spartanburg paper from 1962 telling of Jack Smith getting up at 4:30 in the morning in Daytona to go fishing in the St. John's River where he caught a 10 1/2-lb black bass before returning to the Speedway and turning the second fastest time of SpeedWeeks in his Red Myler prepared Pontiac. Wonder if Red went fishing that morning, too?

Here's the story link:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1873&dat=19620214&id=...

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I need to correct the statement I made about Red Myler not going to the races during the 1982 & 1983 Dale Earnhardt / Wrangler seasons when I was around the Bud Moore team.

He did indeed go to many races and was often race day "gasman" on the crew pitting Dale Earnhardt. Don't know how I could have forgotten that.

Red , at that stage in life, was shaped kinda like I am today and wore a pair of wide, red "fireman's" suspenders over his blue & yellow Wrangler racing pit crew shirt to hold up those heavy 14 ounce denim jeans all the crew wore. I recall, now, that my assistant Wrangler racing program manager, Mel Parkhurst had a supplier fashion a set of wide yellow suspenders with blue Wrangler horses on them for Red to wear at the track.

Another thing I now remember about Red at the track during those two years was that he never bent or cupped the brims of his ball caps like most did. He'd be right at home today with those rappers and their flat brimmed NY hats! Sorry for the fading memory.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

Search Results for 'Kenny Myler'

History

At the same time Brian Wendt and His son Aaron have been Racing a Mini-Sprint for 3 years and now a 360 Sprint Car this year in Rapid City and here in Sioux Falls. ( look at the Teams and Cars Page for all the Crews and helpers for each current car) This combined effort has completed our Empire Racing Team over the years.

In the late 1990’s We Sponsored a Winssota Mod at Black Hills Speedway with a winning driver Tyler K. Rookie of the year and a former Bull Rider.

The Wendt family has always been racing something. We raced Drag cars since 1979 - 2005 in some fashion though out those years.

We only wished we would have paid more attention to our Great Uncle Kenny Myler when his was alive and working with the Pettys, Bakers, and Yarbrough’s of NASCAR Legend. It just wasn’t the sport is has become today and our family has never really had the funds to be as involved as we would have liked too. Below is his racing history as we have found so far.

Kenny   RED   Myler

He owned the first car LEE PETTY Raced and won at first Daytona and Cale Yarbrough’s First Win ever was Kenny’s Car.

He was good friends with all the Petty’s and became a motor builder too on Buddy Bakers Crew and more.

Read through the Facts listed below from Nascar Websites and you will be pleasantly surprised at his work.

I will look into this more as we go on.

Kenny Myler, was Pearl Myler’s Brother. My Grandmother.

Daytona 500

Winning crew chiefs

Year Crew Chief Driver
1959 Kenny Myler Lee Petty
1960 Ray Fox Junior Johnson
1961 Smokey Yunick Marvin Panch
1962 Smokey Yunick Fireball Roberts
1963 Leonard Wood Tiny Lund
1964 Lee Petty Richard Petty
1965 Jack Sullivan Fred Lorenzen
1966 Lee Petty Richard Petty
1967 Eddie Pagan Mario Andretti
1968 Leonard Wood Cale Yarborough
1969 Herb Nab LeeRoy Yarbrough
1970 Maurice Petty Pete Hamilton
1971 Dale Inman Richard Petty
1972 Leonard Wood A.J. Foyt
1973 Dale Inman Richard Petty
1974 Dale Inman Richard Petty
1975 Travis Carter Benny Parsons
1976 Leonard Wood David Pearson
1977 Herb Nab Cale Yarborough
1978 Bud Moore Bobby Allison
1979 Dale Inman Richard Petty
1980 Waddell Wilson Buddy Baker
1981 Dale Inman Richard Petty
1982 Gary Nelson Bobby Allison
1983 Waddell Wilson Cale Yarborough
1984 Waddell Wilson Cale Yarborough
1985 Ernie Elliott Bill Elliott
1986 Gary Nelson Geoffrey Bodine
1987 Ernie Elliott Bill Elliott
1988 Jimmy Fennig Bobby Allison
1989 Jeff Hammond Darrell Waltrip
1990 Buddy Parrott Derrike Cope
1991 Tony Glover Ernie Irvan
1992 Larry McReynolds Davey Allison
1993 Jimmy Makar Dale Jarrett
1994 Tony Glover Sterling Marlin
1995 Tony Glover Sterling Marlin
1996 Todd Parrott Dale Jarrett
1997 Ray Evernham Jeff Gordon
1998 Larry McReynolds Dale Earnhardt
1999 Ray Evernham Jeff Gordon
2000 Todd Parrott Dale Jarrett
2001 Scott Eggleston Michael Waltrip
2002 Tommy Baldwin Jr. Ward Burton
2003 Slugger Labbe Michael Waltrip
2004 Tony Eury Sr. Dale Earnhardt Jr.
2005 Robbie Loomis Jeff Gordon
2006 Darian Grubb Jimmie Johnson
2007 Todd Berrier Kevin Harvick
Kenny Myler (owner) Grand National Statistics by track
Click on the   Site   to see this owner’s career results at that track.
Glossary     View career statistics for Kenny Myler
NEW! Subtotals by track surface / length are shown at the bottom of the page!
Site Races Win T5 T10 Pole Laps Led Prize AvSt AvFn RAF Miles LLF
Atlanta 1 0 0 0 0 249 0 655 11.0 13.0 1 373.5 0
Augusta 2 0 0 2 0 485 0 630 7.5 7.5 2 242.5 0
Beltsville 1 0 0 0 0 58 0 130 5.0 11.0 0 29.0 0
Columbia 1 0 1 1 0 197 0 275 10.0 5.0 1 98.5 0
Greenville 1 0 0 0 0 62 0 100 6.0 15.0 0 31.0 0
Hillsboro 1 0 1 1 0 106 0 300 6.0 4.0 1 95.4 0
Islip 1 0 1 1 0 245 0 300 7.0 4.0 1 49.0 0
Manassas 2 0 1 1 0 749 0 465 11.0 10.5 2 280.9 0
Moyock 2 0 0 1 0 381 0 275 9.0 12.0 1 126.9 0
Myrtle Beach 1 0 1 1 0 193 0 300 4.0 4.0 1 96.5 0
New Oxford 1 0 0 1 0 186 0 200 7.0 7.0 1 93.0 0
North Wilkesboro 1 0 0 0 0 93 0 175 13.0 28.0 0 58.1 0
Richmond 1 0 0 0 0 28 0 150 17.0 37.0 0 14.0 0
Spartanburg 1 0 1 1 0 198 0 600 6.0 2.0 1 99.0 0
Valdosta 1 1 1 1 0 200 18 1,000 5.0 1.0 1 100.0 1
Watkins Glen 1 0 1 1 0 63 0 415 8.0 4.0 1 144.9 0
Weaverville 1 0 1 1 0 487 0 800 13.0 5.0 1 243.5 0
Winston-Salem 1 0 1 1 0 240 0 275 7.0 5.0 1 60.0 0
GRAND TOTAL 21 1 10 14 0 4220 18 7,045 8.6 9.8 16 2235.6 1
Speedways (2 mi. +) 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0 0.0 0
Speedways (1-2 mi.) 1 0 0 0 0 249 0 655 11.0 13.0 1 373.5 0
Short Tracks 11 0 4 7 0 2738 0 3,050 9.1 10.3 8 1089.9 0
Road Courses 1 0 1 1 0 63 0 415 8.0 4.0 1 144.9 0
Dirt Tracks 8 1 5 6 0 1170 18 2,925 7.6 9.4 6 627.4 1

http://www.speedwaymedia.com/Articles/06/051206Madding.asp

In 1965, SAM McQuagg made 15 starts in the NASCAR Grand National Division (later to be renamed the Winston Cup Series) driving James Thomas’s No. 71 Ford at Riverside, Betty Lilliy’s No. 24 Ford in 10 events, Bob Cooper’s No. 60 Ford at Atlanta, and   Kenny Myler’s   No. 06 Ford at North Wilkesboro and Dog Track Speedway, Moyock, North Carolina. He recorded a 3rd place finish at Bristol recording 2 top-5s, 10 top-10s, and winning the NASCAR Grand National Division Rookie of the Year title. In 1966, McQuagg began driving Ray Nichels’ No. 98 Dodge in the NASCAR Grand National Division making 16 starts and won the Firecracker 400 at Daytona and received the $13,500 winning purse.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/story/446692.html

Nothing like the first time

Fifty years ago in Columbia ‘The King’ began his regin over auto racing

By JIM McLAURIN -   jmclaurin@thestate.com

Richard Petty’s 10 Greatest Races

JULY 12, 1958, COLUMBIA
200-lap NASCAR Convertible division race at Columbia Speedway
Ten days after his 21st birthday, Richard Petty and cousin Dale Inman hauled a 1957 Oldsmobile convertible owned by his famous racing father, Lee, down to the half-mile dirt track at Columbia for a 200-lapper.
Petty qualified 13th in the 25-car field and finished sixth. The race didn’t count in his Grand National/Winston/Sprint Cup career, because it was a convertible race. But if you ask Petty where it all began…
JULY 18, 1958, TORONTO, CANADA
100-lap Grand National race at Canadian National Exposition Speedway
Less than a week after Petty’s convertible debut, he made his first “official” start, in NASCAR’s top Grand National division, and learned about life among the big boys.
Petty’s father Lee was racing Cotton Owens when they came up behind him and he pulled over to let them by: “Cotton went on by, but Daddy bumped me in the rear, and my car went right into the wall,” Petty said. He finished 17th in the 19-car field.
JULY 18, 1959, COLUMBIA
200-lap NASCAR Convertible Division race at Columbia Speedway
This one wouldn’t count as one of Petty’s 200 career victories because the convertibles were in a separate NASCAR division, but ask Petty about his first victory, see above.
The 22-year-old’s brand-new Plymouth took the checkered flag ahead of veteran Jack Smith — no margin of victory was listed — and he won $900.
When he was asked how it felt to finally break the ice, in true Petty fashion he said: “The only difference I can tell is that first place pays more than second.”
FEB. 28, 1960, CHARLOTTE, N.C.
200-lap NASCAR Grand National Division race at Charlotte Fairgrounds.
It was official. Petty won his first Grand National/Winston Cup event, and he was off to the races. Before it was all over, he added 199 more for a record that will never be broken.
Petty got a little help when his father “bumped” Rex White’s Chevy with 13 laps to go. Petty’s strategy was to pass White when he hit a bump in the first turn. Guess it depends on your definition of “bump.”
“I didn’t hurt his chances,” said his dad.
MAY 13, 1967, DARLINGTON
Rebel 400, Darlington Raceway
Petty had not begun his unbelievable 10-for-10 win streak that earned him the nickname “The King” later that year, but his Rebel victory may have been more significant in the long run.
It was the 55th win of his career, breaking the all-time wins record set by his father six years earlier. Typically, Petty said, “There’s been a lot of fuss lately over me breaking Daddy’s record… . As far was we’re concerned, the Petty family has 109 wins.”
SEPT. 4, 1967, DARLINGTON SOUTHERN 500
In California they called it “The Summer of Love,” but back on the right coast it was the Year of Petty. His dominant victory at Darlington (he led all but 19 laps) was the fourth win in a 10-race win streak, and one of his record 27 victories of the year.
As it turned out, it was Petty’s only win in the Southern 500 (NASCAR’s first “big race”) and one of only three at the storied track. His father never won at Darlington.
“Even if we win the rest of the races, this is the biggest thrill,” Petty said. “We’ve been trying to win this race for 18 years.”
FEB. 15, 1976, DAYTONA, FLA.
DAYTONA 500
This was not a win for Petty, but it is often regarded as the greatest race in NASCAR history. Petty was leading on the last lap when he was passed on the backstretch by rival David Pearson.
Petty tried to get inside Pearson coming off the final corner, but the two made contact, causing both cars to spin in to the grass just short of the finish line. Petty’s car stalled about 100 feet short, but Pearson was able to keep his car running and limp over the finish line for the win.
“Whenever David and I hooked up, everyone knew it was going to be exciting,” Petty said. “We raced hard.”
NOV. 15, 1992, HAMPTON, GA.
HOOTERS 500, ATLANTA MOTOR SPEEDWAY
Petty wanted to end his career in a blaze of glory but, he said after the checkered flag fell, “We forgot about the ‘glory’ part.”
There was entirely too much going on for one race. Bill Elliott and Alan Kulwicki were chasing Davey Allison down to the wire for the Winston Cup championship; Allison crashed, Elliott won the race and Kulwicki, by leading one extra lap, won the title. And a young kid named Jeff Gordon had his first Winston Cup start.
In the 1,177th start of his 35-year career, Petty got tangled up in a wreck early, caught fire, and his crew spent the rest of the afternoon fixing his car so that his racing career could end with the seven-time champion still on his feet.
“When it was over, nobody left,” Petty said. “There was so much going on that everyone just hung around and enjoyed the moment.”
— Compiled by Jim McLaurin
Source: Author Greg Fielden’s series of books on NASCAR racing.

Nearly a half a century ago, somewhere on a darkened two-lane road between Columbia and Level Cross, N.C., Richard Petty had his moment of epiphany.
The 21-year-old had been around racing since his dad, Lee, took the family sedan down to Charlotte in 1949 and wrecked it in the first NASCAR race. This moment was different.
As the three young adventurers headed home on that night of July 12, 1958, the younger Petty finally realized what he had done that day.
“I don’t know that there was a time during the race because I was busy. But just going up the road I was thinking, ‘You know, that wasn’t bad. I liked that,’” the 70-year old racing icon said this month as he recalled the day of his first race.
“I do know that going home, with me and Dale Inman and   Red Myler   in a pickup truck, we got out of a town about the North Carolina border. I told Dale, ‘You know what? I think I’m gon’ like this driving.’”
Coming from a guy who would later be known simply as “The King,” that could have been the understatement of the generation of hard-bitten men who turned stock car racing from little more than a legal joy ride for bootleggers into a mainstream sport.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW BOOK!

June 27, 1965 Cale Yarborough drives Kenny Myler’s Ford to his first career NASCAR Grand National win at Valdosta, Georgia. Yarborough takes the lead 18 laps from the finish when engine problems end G.C. Spencer’s bid for victory.

Daytona 500 Heroes: Cale Yarborough

William Caleb Yarborough (born March 27, 1940 in Timmonsville, South Carolina, near the Famous Darlington Raceway), is a businessman and former NASCAR Winston Cup Series driver and owner. He is the only driver in NASCAR history to win three consecutive championships. In the past, he has appeared on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

His 83 wins places him at number five in the all-time NASCAR winner’s list (behind Bobby Allison and Darrell Waltrip, who are tied for third with 84). Yarborough also won the Daytona 500 four times–his first win coming in 1968 for the Wood Brothers, the second in 1977 for Junior Johnson, and back-to-back wins in 1983 and 1984. In 1984, he became the first driver to qualify for the Daytona 500 with a top speed of more than 200 miles per hour.

1 5

Yarborough’s father was a tobacco farmer. As a young child, Yarborough attended the first Southern 500 in 1950 as a spectator without a ticket. He attempted to make his first attempt in the race as a teenager by lying about his age, but he was caught and disqualified by NASCAR. In 1957, Yarborough made his debut as a driver at the Southern 500, driving the #30 Pontiac for Bob Weatherly, starting 44th and finishing 42nd after suffering hub problems. He ran for Weatherly two years later, and finished 27th. In 1960, Yarborough ran at Southern States Fairgrounds and had his first career top-fifteen, a fourteenth-place finish. In 1962, he earned his first top-ten at the Daytona 500 Qualifying Race, when he finished tenth. He ran seven more races and finished 50th in the final standings.

Yarborough started 1963 without a full-time ride, but soon signed on to drive the #19 Ford for Herman Beam. His best finish was fifth twice, at Myrtle Beach and Savannah Speedway, respectively. He began the next season driving for Beam, but soon left and finished the year with Holman Moody, finishing sixth at North Wilkesboro Speedway, winding up nineteenth in points. The next season, he drove for various owners before picking up his first career win at Valdosta Speedway driving the   #06 Ford   for   Kenny Myler , rising to tenth in the final standings.

UNCLE KENNY was there for Richard Petty’s first Nascar race too!

The First Race
Richard Petty ran his first race on July 12, 1958. That race came just 10 days after his 21st birthday.
The NASCAR schedule showed a NASCAR Grand National event at Asheville, N.C., and a convertible event at Columbia, S.C., scheduled the same day. Instead, of hiring a second driver to pilot the car in the convertible event, the younger Petty persuaded his father, Lee, who would compete in the Asheville GN race, to allow him to try the race at Columbia.
As a result, Petty and his cousin Dale Inman, who has been part of the Petty team for more than 50 years, loaded up along with their friends Wade Thornburg and   Kenny Myler   and went to the event in Columbia.
Petty finished sixth that day and his career was under way.
The next week, the Pettys took two cars to Toronto, Ontario, and Richard made his first Grand National start.

From Richard Petty’s New BOOK

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

View Kenny Myler's Monster Energy Cup results by track

Year Driver Races Win T5 T10 Pole Laps Led Earnings Rank AvSt AvFn RAF Miles LLF
1965 Sam McQuagg 2 0 0 1 0 384 0 350 24 11.5 18.0 1 155.0 0
1965 Cale Yarborough 18 1 10 12 0 3545 18 6,305 10 8.2 8.9 14 1935.1 1
1966 Cale Yarborough 1 0 0 1 0 291 0 390 18 9.0 9.0 1 145.5 0
2 years 21 1 10 14 0 4220 18 7,045   8.6 9.8 16 2235.6 1

http://racing-reference.info/owner/Kenny_Myler