July 31, 1965: Richard returns to form

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Six months to the day after my original birthday, the King wins the Nashville 400 after his return to NASCAR following the end of Chrysler's boycott.
http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2012/07/july-31-this-day-in-petty-history.html

Thus endeth the series. The full series can be trolled here:

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/search/label/200wins

I hope to add a separate page soon with links to the specific wins/blog posts.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

A great series of posts and wonderful research, Chase. Thank you so much.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Imagine what we'd say today if a race winner finished six laps ahead of 2nd place (Ned Jarrett) and 18 laps ahead of 3rd place (Buddy Arrington).

A good race for "independents" with Arrington 3rd, my racing hero JT Putney 4th in Herman "The Turtle" Beam's '65 Chevy and Tennessee favorite son GC Spencer 5th.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Two years ago, I posted a link to my blog entry about Richard Petty's win in the Nashville 400 on July 31, 1965. Thought I'd return to the post to add most of the content from that blog entry.

In only his second Grand National race back after a six-month sabbatical from NASCAR, Richard Petty wins the pole, leads 335 of 400 laps, and wins the Nashville 400 by six laps over Ned Jarrett at Fairgrounds Speedway in Nashville, TN to claim his 37th career NASCAR Grand National victory.

NASCAR banned Chrysler's high-performance hemi engine following the 1964 season. As a consequence, Chrysler Corporation withdrew its factory-supported Grand National teams for 1965 - including the Petty Enterprises' Plymouth team. To stay busy, be competitive and earn money, Richard and his team went drag racing for much of 1965 racing a #43 Jr. Plymouth Barracuda.

Once Bill France, Sr. and the Chrysler brass worked out their differences, Chrysler rescinded its boycott. Petty Enterprises was free to return to the world of left-handed turns. Petty's first race back was in the [ Volunteer 500 at Bristol ]. Nashville was the next event, and Richard won by six laps over second-place finisher, Ned Jarrett.

While the Nashville race was Petty's second NASCAR Grand National race of 1965, it was his third stock car race. On May 2, 1965, the 43 team raced in the [ USAC stock car series Yankee 300 ]at Indianapolis Raceway Park and finished 14th in the 22 car field. - Credit: Henry Ford Museum Flickr gallery

Long-time Dodge driver, Buddy Arrington, finished third in the race - a career-best matched by another third place finish fourteen years later in the 1979 Winston 500 at Talladega.

197920Arrington20Winston2050020WM.JPG

Arrington was the hand-me-down beneficiary of older Petty cars and parts for years, and his son Joey Arrington builds a lot of the high-performance, after-market engines installed by Petty's Garage in customer Mopar vehicles. So in some respects, I kind of view Buddy's third place finish at Nashville as a quasi-Petty top 5.

Once Chrysler chose to lift its boycott and allow its factory-supported race teams to return, Lee Petty intimated Richard might make his return in the July 4, 1965, Firecracker 400 at Daytona.
1965061920Plymouth20Return.PNG
For whatever reason, Petty Enterprises didn't field a car for Richard at Daytona, and he [ made his return ] a couple of weeks later at Bristol. That doesn't mean, however, the Petty team wasn't involved at the beach. [ Red Vogt hired Nelson Stacy ] to run the race in a Petty Enterprises-prepared Plymouth, and Richard's brother - Maurice Petty - [ led Stacy's crew ]for the race.

In preparing the car for Nashville (and presumably for Bristol) on relatively short notice, the Petty team didn't even bother to paint a 43 on the driver's side door.

19650731pettynashville2.JPG

1965203720nashville.PNG

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 07/31/17 03:11:12PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Music City Bump

--