Rubbing may still be in racing again and horsepower too

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
14 years ago
3,259 posts
NASCAR is a contact sport our history is based on banging fenders.Among the changes: Bump-drafting rules will be eliminated at superspeedways (Daytona and Talladega Superspeedway). Teams also will use a bigger restrictor plate at Daytona.Eliminating bump drafting puts responsibility for on-track moves squarely back in drivers hands, a decision already welcomed.Words can hardly describe how excited I am about the return of bump-drafting, said Talladega Superspeedway President Rick Humphrey. NASCARs decision to put the racing back in the hands of the drivers is sure to have a positive impact on the competition and excitement race fans experience at Talladega.Larger restrictor plates a safety feature at superspeedways gives drivers more horsepower.NASCAR also announced a change to the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series new car, replacing the wing currently mounted on the rear of the car with a spoiler. "Losing the wing will give cars that conventional stock car look. And a bigger restrictor plate will make racing better and drivers happier. Its a change that a fan wont see or feel, but the driver will. It will give them so much more throttle response. Its like swapping a four cylinder engine for a V8.Officials believe the switch from wing to spoiler will return to a more traditional stock-car look.
updated by @johnny-mallonee: 12/05/16 04:04:08PM
Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts
Nascar needs to just get rid of the yellow line, restrictor plates, and let the drivers get back to racin. The drivers will figure out what they can do or not do on the track. Thank goodness NASCAR finally figured out that bump-drafting is not a bad thing. I have been in the stands of a cup race in New Hampshire and have fallen asleep, the excitement was to much for me to handle. When NASCAR figures out why ppl flock to watch the Mods, then they will figure out how to run a cup race. Do NASCAR officals actually go to races?
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Could this be an example of "the placebo" effect.....NASCAR's attempt to give the fans something positive to talk about...and to give the fans the impression that they (NASCAR) are listening to to them...and to the drivers. I have heard some say this may represent a "cultural" change as it relates to the "iron fist" of NASCAR's past possibly loosening to give an ear to the fans and drivers. The past 60 years of dictator-like rule giving way to ....democracy....? I don't think so! I think it is more of a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding $$$...and all the bitching by the drama laden, NASCAR Nation of today.Several years ago NASCAR stopped listening to the fans and completely turned their ear to the dollars. They lost touch with fans trying to continually give sponsors more exposure. The problem with that.....the fans are the ones buying the sponsors products. It doesn't matter how much exposure one gives a sponsor....the success of any series lies with the fans. If they are not entertained with something they understand and are passionate about...there won't be any sort of brand loyalty associated with the sponsors. Without brand loyalty there is no return on investment for a sponsor. I said all that to say...they have had the "cart before the horse." The to 35 rule was put in place to reward the sponsors. I was told by the late David Poole that "go fast or go home" didn't work in big-time auto racing any more. Well, it worked for over 50 years and built a group of loyal fans who understood it. Just look at the confusion this rule has created with all the pre-season points swapping...number selling, bs by the owners to jockey for those top 35 spots.I'm all for putting the racing back in the hands of the drivers...and I'm especially for listening to the fans....and I hated the wing. I can't help it... I'm skeptical. I'll wait and see if this represents any sort of "cultural change" by NASCAR. I'm not sure NASCAR can work as a democracy either. I still think it requires an iron fist...but with an ear to the fans. If the fans are happy the dollars will take care of themselves.I would love to be able to regain the passion I once had for this great sport. Whether it is real..or whether it lasts...NASCAR's announcements have stopped a lot of the bitching...for now and have many of us ready to tune in to see if all this makes a difference. What's that I'm tasting? Could it be ....sugar?

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts
Jeff, I feel NASCAR has removed themselfs from the fans when they removed the production cars from racing. Fans were able to identify with a Monti Carlo, Thunderbird, etc. not the COT look alike cars. I don't know of any fans that drive to a race in a COT car,,do you? In order for NASCAR to survive they need to get back in touch with there fans more than their bank books. I am a strong beleiver you race your way into a race through A mains, Consi, no gifts here, race for your position. ( GO FAST OR GO HOME ) I see races that start racing in the last 50 laps, getting in position with other cars,,it looks like a roller derby on wheels. When a driver steps on the gas he wants a positive quick response. NOW. Not having to wait for someone to push him to the front only to hang him out to dry. NASCAR has built a race box that drivers and owners can't get out of and the loyal fans can't get into. Someone needs to bring Brian France to Bowman Grey and show him what racing is ALL ABOUT. Jeff Gilder said:
Could this be an example of "the placebo" effect.....NASCAR's attempt to give the fans something positive to talk about...and to give the fans the impression that they (NASCAR) are listening to to them...and to the drivers. I have heard some say this may represent a "cultural" change as it relates to the "iron fist" of NASCAR's past possibly loosening to give an ear to the fans and drivers. The past 60 years of dictator-like rule giving way to ....democracy....? I don't think so! I think it is more of a desperate attempt to stop the bleeding $$$...and all the bitching by the drama laden, NASCAR Nation of today.

Several years ago NASCAR stopped listening to the fans and completely turned their ear to the dollars. They lost touch with fans trying to continually give sponsors more exposure. The problem with that.....the fans are the ones buying the sponsors products. It doesn't matter how much exposure one gives a sponsor....the success of any series lies with the fans. If they are not entertained with something they understand and are passionate about...there won't be any sort of brand loyalty associated with the sponsors. Without brand loyalty there is no return on investment for a sponsor. I said all that to say...they have had the "cart before the horse." The to 35 rule was put in place to reward the sponsors. I was told by the late David Poole that "go fast or go home" didn't work in big-time auto racing any more. Well, it worked for over 50 years and built a group of loyal fans who understood it. Just look at the confusion this rule has created with all the pre-season points swapping...number selling, bs by the owners to jockey for those top 35 spots.

I'm all for putting the racing back in the hands of the drivers...and I'm especially for listening to the fans....and I hated the wing. I can't help it... I'm skeptical. I'll wait and see if this represents any sort of "cultural change" by NASCAR. I'm not sure NASCAR can work as a democracy either. I still think it requires an iron fist...but with an ear to the fans. If the fans are happy the dollars will take care of themselves.

I would love to be able to regain the passion I once had for this great sport. Whether it is real..or whether it lasts...NASCAR's announcements have stopped a lot of the bitching...for now and have many of us ready to tune in to see if all this makes a difference. What's that I'm tasting? Could it be ....sugar?
Brian Janik
@brian-janik
14 years ago
35 posts
Tell Lance Armstrong that he has to wear a restrictor plate over his mouth and take in so much air so he won't go so fast. LOL,,LOL You have a race track use it all and go like hell, no sand bagging untill the last 50 laps. For certain track I would like to see big blocks 427, 396, 351. Drivers will figure out that their car won't make the corner at 210mph but will get through at 195mph and will slow down accordlingly. I feel you should be able to race whatever body was used in NASCAR. If I was a driver and I crashed on the 100 lap of a 400 lap race and we knew the car was not able to return. I would hit the midway and get to a trailer that was selling my t-shirts,,etc and help sell them. To me that would be a perfect way to meet your fans, sign hats, shirts , picture taking and up your sales before the end of the race. I like being nice to the fans because they are the fans and are hard working people, and I appreciate that very much. Robbie Solesbee said:
Brian I can't agree more. I have always believed that the racing surface starts with the retaining wall to the grass or inside retaining wall. I have no problems with grass if you can make it work. Also bump to engine size down and do away with the restrictor plate. NASCAR instituted a minimum engine size rule becasue a team tested at Daytona with an engine some where in 311 CI range ran with a restrictor plate and ran faster. Also remember when the V-6 BGN cars were faster than the Cup cars at Daytona. Do you also remember you did not see "the big ones" with the Busch cars? Horsepower on any type of vehicle will allow to get out of trouble than it will get you in. I've been in situations with my V-6 Mustang that would most likely have resulted in a wreck if I was in my wife's. That being able to hit the gas while making an evasive manuver turned out to be the distance. One reason the Mods are so popular is the same reason alot of short tracks are on the rebound. NAPCAR does not offer the action a short track does and I believe people are finding that going to the races close to home is less hassle, less expensive, and the action makes the experience alot more enjoyable. Which is why I've always asked my self the question as to why sprints and modifieds have never taken a big hold in the deep south. It could be that dirt latemodels have always rules or everybody's addicted to fenders. I just don't know

Brian Janik said:
Nascar needs to just get rid of the yellow line, restrictor plates, and let the drivers get back to racin. The drivers will figure out what they can do or not do on the track. Thank goodness NASCAR finally figured out that bump-drafting is not a bad thing. I have been in the stands of a cup race in New Hampshire and have fallen asleep, the excitement was to much for me to handle. When NASCAR figures out why ppl flock to watch the Mods, then they will figure out how to run a cup race. Do NASCAR officals actually go to races?