R.I.P. CECIL GORDON # 24

Jack Carter
@jack-carter
12 years ago
9 posts

Rest in peace Cecil, what a great person and driver back in the day when racing was real and lots of fun. I worked on Cecil's pit crew helping the gas man 1972 and 1973. I talked with him for the last time about two years ago by telephone on the Racers Reunion radio show interview.

updated by @jack-carter: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Jack, were you by any chance helping when Cecil's throttle stuck open in practice going down the backstretch at Richmond when he tore down the rail and fence tore up his car? I can't remember the year.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jack Carter
@jack-carter
12 years ago
9 posts

I don't remember that particular incident but I do have a very good memory about things that happened back then.40 years ago! Some things that I remember from back then I can't write here on RR.

My brother and I always signed on a race car and went in the pits back in the day and it was "Hog Heaven" to us.

At a Grand National race in Rockingham, NC, I was standing around in the pits just enjoying being there at the track and Cecil's brother Lee Gordon who was his crew chief ask me if I would help with the fuel cans and after that I worked with them for about two years at the race tracks within a 500 mile radius from home in VA.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, jack. Wish I could remember the year.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

The original 24. Flash Gordon. Its amazing the difference in opportunities afforded the 2 Gordons who piloted a 24. One of the more unique fonts Cecil ran for his 24 is one that resembled Kyle Petty's numerals from Petty Enterprises. Cecil ran this font in the early 80s. Even after asking folks like Mike Beam and Steve Hmiel, I've never been able to confirm if he bought this Mopar ... and the KP numeral decals ... from the Pettys. But it seems awfully similar to be just a coincidence.

vs. Kyle Petty's number (credit Jerry Bushmire for photo)

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I bet I know who would know. Every time I see a post here on RR I usually think of a name in my old business card file. John McKenzie at Motorsports Designs was making the decals for the Pettys and later for many other folks.

When the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster occurred on January 28, 1986, I called John from Dallas to get a memorial decal on the Kyle Petty / Wood Brothers / 7-Eleven car. He immediately made a wonderful tribute decal and shipped them to me in Daytona where just about every car during 1986 SpeedWeeks ran it.

--