Today Kyle Petty Scored 1st Cup Win When Earnhardt Booted Waltrip at Richmond

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

27 years ago today, February 23, 1986, Kyle Petty became the first and still only 3rd generation driver to follow in the footsteps of father and grandfather to win a NASCAR "Premier" series race. Richmond, Virginia - NOT Daytona -remains the only NASCAR racing venue to claim the distinction of having three generations of winners in what was then the NASCAR Winston Cup and NASCAR Grand National Series.

It was a cold and raw Miller High Life 400 afternoon in Richmond when 25,000 fans witnessed Dale Earnhardt in the blue & yellow #3 Richard Childress Wrangler Jeans ride hook Junior Johnson's red & white Budweiser #11 driven by Darrell Waltrip in the closing laps, crashing them out and opening the door for 5th running Klye Petty to score his first big time win.

In my garage, I still have the walnut "Winning Car Sponsor" trophy shaped like the Commonwealth of Virginia presented by the late Paul Sawyer at the old half-mile fairgrounds venue. The win also put Virginia's Wood Brothers team back in victory lane after a prolonged absence.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

The day:

1986RichmondSpringKylePettyvictoryl.JPG

And Kyle's trophy on display at the Petty Museum in Randleman:

IMG_8482.JPG

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 02/22/18 04:24:27PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I am sporting my annual (back then) winter mustache, wearing a red 7-Eleven jacket with blue sweater beneath & standing to the left of Glen Wood in this obligatory "Winston hat" photo in Richmond's Victory Lane that day.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
6 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.