Toccoa Speedway...In search of this mysterious lady's beginnings!!!

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

My name is Christy & I work at Toccoa Speedway. I have been doing some research to find out more information on earlier races held at Toccoa Speedway. The problem is, it is virtually impossible to find any information on the old girl! Her past has proven mysterious at the least! If anyone has any information or can point me in the right direction, that would be perfect!! We would certainly appreciate any help. Andy Hyde, current track promotor, has spoken with the current owners but their information is limited. I have called Stephens County, the City of Toccoa, the Historical Society & the Toccoa Record. All dead ends! I called LB Berryman, I was told he knew everything about Toccoa Speedway but unfortunately he is currently recovering from a heart attack so for now that avenue has been put on pause. Although, his wife, Martha, was so very kind & asked him if he remembered when the 1st race was held. He said he thought 1955. That is the same year GeorgiaRacingHistory.com has also. I read on this forum 1953 but there was little information after that. I have been told the track was originally built in 1949 for family fun (by the owners of the property at that time) not for the public. I have found records at the Stephens County Tax Assessors that date back to 1950. I was told that after the track was built, it became so popular the owners decided to open it to the public. I would be forever grateful if anyone would/could be of assistances! I love Toccoa Speedway. She maybe a little old but man does she wear it well! In my opinion it is extremely important that we document as much history as possible! As I told PattyKay, these dirt tracks are apart of both our life history and more importantly, Georgia's history! When I see a track that has closed & been forgotten, it makes me very sad because I think to myself, would we ever do that to an old friend? These dirt tracks are wonderful places for families to be able to go & a great outlet for children!

Again, I welcome any assistances! Thank you so very much!!!

Christy

updated by @christy3: 01/30/17 04:00:28PM
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

Good luck, honey! I too, find it heartbreaking that I cannot find records. But you have come to the best place in the world for help....these are AMAZING people!!

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

Thank you Ms. Thompkins! I will certainly do anything I can to help also!!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

Wow, digging up bones I see. My father used to pull two cars up there every weekend almost. There was a weekend of racing in north Ga back then .. Banks County, Toccoa and Elberton was the Fri-Sat-Sunday norm. Now I was only 11 back then. There were several cars from Middle Ga that pulled up there on a regular basis. All my old photos are on my page and you arev welcome to use them.

I can remember them saying how fast the track was.

Every one I can remember going from Middle Ga are no longer here but I bet there are a couple over in AIRPS in Augusta that may give some more info. Us ole goats are getting fewer as the word turns. Hope I helped in a small way and if anything pops up I will forward it to you

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts
Thank you Mr. Mallonee!! I welcome any & all information I can get!!! I have now found myself in a race against time! I can not afford to lose a second!Again, Thank You for sharing your memories with me. Stop by anytime! Until then, I gotta a race to win!!!
Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

OK i was going to say check with Johnny Mallonee i see you did all so with AIRPS in Augusta GA

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Christy, I'd encourage you to contact (fellow RR.com member) Mr. Richard "Papermen"Pearson, Sr. He's quite the expert on north Georgia dirt racing, its history, w/pictures too.

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
11 years ago
589 posts

I'm from the area...but I'm just notthatfamiliarwith the track. Sorry

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

a lot of info is buried in that museum up there that she is looking for. i have read about several that ran there during the 60's.. i bet if Cody was to hook up with Christy a lot of her unknowns would surface --Cody -you are setting on a world of wealth on N.Ga racing history

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts
PKL, that's him. He's pretty active on 4m.net. Christy should post this same topic/question on the 4m dirt late model forum. Screen name is "papermen".
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Christy, I got this reply from JLS65 on 4m.net:

f your asking about the currrent Toccoa Speedway, it was built and owned by Garland Sheriff and held its Grand Opening on either May 7 or 14, 1955. The original advertised date was on the 7th, but no results were printed in the paper, but did mention the winner for the 14th. That winner was Willard Stamey. The track ran at least into October 1955.

The Sheriff family I believe still owns the track. It is the third oldest running track in the state of Georgia with only Oglethorpe Speedway in Savannah (1951) and Boyds Speedway in Ringold (1952) are older, but Toccoa may be the oldest "Continuously" run track at 58 consecutive years running. It is not known at this time whether Oglethorpe has run every year since it opened in 1951.

Known drivers who raced there in its first by my files are Willard Stamey, Chester Barron, Jack Jackson, Wayne Coffee, Palmer Bell, Al Watkins, Judge Rider, Sam Elrod, Tommy Irwin, Bobby Young, Carl Stonecypher, Howard Corbin, George Roberts, and Charlie Mincey.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Christy, I've (DoubleZero) got a thread going on www.4m.net ........."dirt latemodels"....."Toccoa history" Thread is getting some responses.........check it out: http://www.4m.net/showthread.php?295323-Toccoa-History

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

This is better than awesome!! Thank you SOOOOOOOO much!! :)

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

The Sheriff's no longer own Toccoa Speedway! They sold it in the early 70's.

Oglethorpe Speedway is actually located right outside of Savannah in Pooler, GA. Oglethorpe shut down in the mid 60's and didn't reopen until 1977 so that counts them out! Which means, Toccoa Speedway is now the oldest continuously run dirt track in Georgia!

This is awesome!!! :) Happy Dance!

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

Thank you VERY MUCH for doing that for me! WOW! This is great!

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

You are the BEST!!! Gosh, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH! I feel blessed to have you help me in my quest!

THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES OVER!! :)

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

Bobby,

Paperman is one of my dearest friends! I speak with him quite often. We work together at 2 race tracks in Georgia. Toccoa being one of them! To be honest, I have never asked him anything about Toccoa! I know you will think I'm crazy but I just have never thought to ask him! But I am going to send him a message right now!

Thank you again!

Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

Where is the museum? I can go look myself! I don't mind!

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts
One other amazing part of the Toccoa story is its proximity to both Hartwell and Lavonia speedways. Three dirt tracks 17 miles apart. The long history of each of these tracks is simply incredible! What a community!
Christy3
@christy3
11 years ago
11 posts

Bobby-

I also work at Lavonia Speedway. We had our opening race this past weekend with Late Model Mania. Lavonia Speedway had been closed since the Georgia State race in October 2010 but now she has been awaken once more!! This is going to be a great season!

Hartwell Speedway has an open practice this coming weekend with their 1st race of the season March 23, 2012!

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Crhisty, I saw the results of Late Model Mania on 4m and noticed one of the local drivers from my neighborhood (Dean Bowen, Whiteville, NC) was on hand. Sounds like a very successful event.

Johnny Bowen
@johnny-bowen
11 years ago
31 posts

Hey Johnny , Frankie Carnes used to race on sunday afternoons at Harris speedway in north carolina in the early 70s . In the mid 70s he drove Morris Partaines chevelle at Toccoa , Lavonia and Cherokee S.C. I would love to have a picture of the Partaine gold and orange # 87 chevelle he drove if you know anybody that mite haveone .Thanks