Racing History Minute - June 1, 1957

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Doing my best to fill in for Tim Leeming today...

Today's racing history minute takes us to Lancaster Speedway in Lancaster, South Carolina. Lancaster is about 5 miles south of the NC-SC border, about a half-hour from the metropolis of Rock Hill SC, and about 45 minutes south of Charlotte. Lancaster's half-mile, dirt track hosted only two Grand National races - both in 1957.

Buck Baker won the pole for the 200-lap, 100-mile race with Fireball Roberts to his outside. Jack Smith and Speedy Thompson made up row two. Thompson won the second GN race at Lancaster on July 30, 1957.

As with many races of the 1950s era - particularly the bull-ring, short-track races scattered about the country - good records were not maintained by NASCAR of lap leaders. The only documented lap leader was for the race winner at lap 200: 7th place starter Paul Goldsmith in Smokey Yunick's #3 Ford.

According to Greg Fielden in his Forty Years of Stock Car Racing - Vol. 1:

Paul Goldsmith ran down Buck Baker late in the race and won the 100-mile event at Lancaster Speedway. It was the third win of the year for the Ford driving speedster.

Goldsmith's 61.622 MPH triumph came just as there much speculation of a massive pull-out by factory racing teams. Auto manufacturers were considering a 100 percent retreat following the Martinsville tragedy on May 19, and a more recent short track, Modified race at Clarion, PA in which two children, age 8 and 12, were killed by a flying wheel from a race car.

The top 5 finishers were:

1. Paul Goldsmith, Ford, 200, $700

2. Buck Baker, Chevrolet, 200, $525

3. Lee Petty, Oldsmobile, 199, $400

4. Marvin Panch, Ford, 198, $330

5. Speedy Thompson, Chevrolet, 198, $270

Jack Smith was 6th , and Fireball finished 14th. Other notables included Jim Paschal (7th), Dick Beaty (8th), Tiny Lund (12th), Cotton Owens (13th), Billy Myers (15th) and Jimmie Lewallen (17th and last).

Fielden's account of the race mentioned tragic accidents at Martinsville and Clarion PA. The Martinsville accident was recently discussed in a RR forum post here . And here is an article about the unfortunate accident at Clarion:

Source: Beaver Valley Times

And as predicted, the auto manufacturers withdrew from racing less than a week after the Lancaster race. Source: Milwaukee Sentinel

Despite the news, Big Bill France remained bullish on the future of auto racing.

Source: Spartanburg Herald Journal

Lancaster Speedway continues operations today. Here is a bit of history of Lancaster from the track's website :

The Lancaster Speedway was built in 1954, by a group of local businessmen, headed by the late Herman "Hump" Poovey. It was constructed on land that was owned by Mr. Poovey. It was very successful and even featured NASCAR sanctioned races in 1957, which were won by Paul Goldsmith and Speedy Thompson. From 1958 until 1963 however, the track fell upon some hard times, changing owners and management several times. In 1963, cousins Ross and Charles "Snooks" Cauthen bought the track and put it back into regular operation. By 1968 there was another change as local businessman Coble Funderburk took over operations at the speedway. During his tenure, Funderburk made several improvements to the facility including a new concrete wall on the front straightaway between the track and the grandstands. A joint point championship, with Starlite Speedway in Monroe NC, was started in 1969. Racing was good and the crowds were large but another change was soon coming. In 1975, local salvage yard owner, Jim Mahaffey took over as the owner-promoter of the speedway. One of the changes made was to drop the top division of race cars, the powerful V8 Late Model Sportsman class. This was done to cut the cost of operating the speedway on a weekly basis and many people said that it would result in the end of the speedway. Time proved just the opposite to be true and the speedway flourished under Mahaffey and an all six cylinder racing program. Jim didnt stop there though. He made many improvements to the facilities. Over the years he replaced the lighting system, replaced the wooden grandstands with concrete slabs, and started extending the concrete wall, started by Funderburk, to extend all the way around the speedway and replacing the wooden and metal fences. Most fans agree the time that Jim Mahaffey was operating the speedway was a great era for fans and drivers alike.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 06/01/17 09:32:13AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, thanks for picking up The Legend's baton and keeping a History Minute going these past several days. I know Tim will enjoy reviewing them when he returns.

I need to get back down to Lancaster Speedway one Saturday night soon and take my two grandsons. Took the older boy three summers ago and we had a good time. It's the only dirt track race he's seen and the weather was perfect that night. We sat in the old concrete stands coming off turn 4 as high as we could get. It wasn't high enough to keep from getting a generous coating of the Lancaster surface mixed with tire rubber, though. But, we saw good racing.

I live inside the Charlotte city limits in the southeastern area known as Ballantyne, not far from the SC border. It is a straight shot for me down U.S. 521 to the track. Mapquest says it is 24 1/2 miles. Sometimes on Sunday morning if the grandsons sleep over, we'll get up very early before dawn and drive down to downtown Lancaster and park and walk around several blocks.

Like many downtowns, Lancaster has a number of abandonned, historic buildings. The favorite of my grandsons is an old bank on the main drag that has the vault door open. They love to stare through the old bank window and speculate what might be left inside that vault! The trip back home always includes a stop at the Bojangles on the NC side of the border on 521. We make a big deal of it being just guys and all the ladies still being in bed.

I'm glad you picked Lancaster for the Racing History Minute. The boys and I need to go back. It was a nice track with a nice crowd of "regulars."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Devin
@devin
11 years ago
618 posts

Thank you, Chase!

Awesome history being shared every week by you guys. No doubtTim will be delighted tomorrow.

Thank you.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

That track is the proverbial paper clip for sure. Thanks, TMC

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts
"LANK-a-stir" is classic, thanks Chase.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

How about a little "Rubbin' is Racing" and "Boys Have at It" Lancaster style!

The guy who t-bones the other didn't read Jeff Gilder's book about not taking off your helmet before you start throwing punches and kicking through the driver's window of his adversary. Guess he also didn't take into account that the other guy might re-crank his car while he was spread-eagled across the windshield!

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
RWMYERS
@rwmyers
7 years ago
14 posts

This is the only photo I have ever seen from the Martinsville event referenced above.  You can see daddy's Mercury off in the distance off the track.  He and Tom Pistone were involved in the accident that sent daddy over the wall and a piece of debris struck a boy in the head causing serious brain injury.  As it was told to me it had just started to rain and NASCAR failed to put out the caution flag and the damp conditions contributed to the situation.  Daddy had led over 200 laps of the race and was credited with 4th on the lead lap in the finishing order.

updated by @rwmyers: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for sharing that photo, Randy.

--