ARCA series heading to dirt track of the Illinois State Fairgrounds

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

With all the hoopla over the Camping World Truck Series racing on dirt at Eldora none of the big racing news mentions much, if anything, about the ARCA race on the .4 mile clay oval of the Illinois State Fairgrounds, racing since 1983. You can catch the Tape delayed raceon NBC Sports Network August 23 at 11 PM ET

ARCA has been racing on dirt for years but it never got the attention that Tony Stewart's race got at Eldoro. Clint Boyer acted like it was the greatest thing since ketchup on hotdog, like it was a novelty yet, the ARCA series has been racing on dirt for YEARS and gets little notice.

I'm just as guilty, it wasn't until recently that a friend started working with rookie driver Bill Cataniathat I've taken notice. Now, I think I'm jumping ship from NASCAR Cup to ARCA to watch a more diverse style of racing, from asphalt and concrete ovals, road courses, and DIRT!!

This past weekend the ARCA series raced at the famed and hollowed ground of Berlin Raceway, Marne, Michigan which can be seen Tape-delayed on NBC Sports Network August 15 at 11 PM ET. ARCA has been racing at Berlin since 1958, one year longer than DIS, there is so much rich history with the ARCA series, it deserves so much more recognition than it gets.

updated by @jim-wilmore: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Last Saturday night's ARCA race at Berlin Raceway, Marne, Michigan which can be seen Tape-delayed on NBC Sports Network August 15 at 11 PM ET

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
11 years ago
626 posts

You are so Right i try to keep up with ARCA as much as i can

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Again, the ARCA series races Aug. 18 at the Illinois State Fairgrounds. From Speed51.com "

Springfield ARCA Race to Air on NBC Sports Network Aug. 23

ARCA 8/16/13

Television coverage of stock car race at the Illinois State Fairgrounds returns after a long absence as the NBC Sports Network brings their cameras to the capitol city to record for later broadcast the ARCA Racing Series Presented by Menards 51st Allen Crowe 100. A large field of cars has entered the 51st Crowe 100 with each team and ARCA officials hoping to showcase this unique dirt track event for a worldwide television audience. The Springfield Mile was the site of the first live telecast of a national championship race when ABC brought their cameras to the Illinois State Fair in August of 1968 as part of the legendary Wide World o Sports program. Previous Springfield championship races received some television exposure, usually in the form of highlights or a condensed broadcast as part of the Wide World of Sports show. Fans can welcome NBC Sports to the Illinois State Fair on Sunday, August 18 during the running of the Allen Crowe 100 which is slated to begin at 1:30. The race is set for telecast on NBC Sports August 23 at 11 p.m. (ET)

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

http://www.agr.state.il.us/isf/webcam/midway.php?webcam=1&cam=11

Live feed from the ARCA race at Illinois State Fairgrounds

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Cool.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

RESULTS:

http://timing1.arcaracing.com/

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Steve Struve
@steve-struve
11 years ago
47 posts

ARCA and dirt - been together for ever. Sure hope they continue to carry on the tradition of these previous races. It's a pity most of the tracks shown below are long gone now - All but the Big E.

Ron Fike, Gene Crittenden, and Bob Thomas wait to qualify at Northern Kentucky Speedway

Ralph Latham and Andy Hampton ready to qualify at Eldora. (Sure looked different back then...)

Jim Clark qualifies on the Springfield, Ohio, Fairgrounds Track.

The GREAT Benny Parsons goes out to qualify at K.I.R. (Kentucky International Raceway, in Florence, KY.)

Tom Bowsher, in #1, Gary Weinbroer in # 89 and Jim Malloy in # 26 at Tri County Speedway (Later became Queen City speedway.)

Hope everyone enjoys these.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Steve, thanks for sharing the photos and yes, especially the one from Northern Kentucky, really captures the era, it's like bulls entering the arena.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Great photos Steve, thanks for sharing.

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

One of our own Featured RacersReunion Members, David Boggs brought the love of ARCA Racing to me, quite a few years ago!

Steve Struve
@steve-struve
11 years ago
47 posts

What is really cool about "old time" ARCA is that there are still many of the drivers lurking around. I have been contacted by three of them that are here on Racer's Reunion - "You have any photos of me ??" Of course, I've forwarded on what I had. The other cool thing is when a son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter asks if you have any photos or info on a deceased relative. I always try to help them out or point them to someone who might be able to help.

I am SO glad I kept that shoe box full of 35MM negatives from 40-50 years ago.....

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
11 years ago
559 posts

You are so right, Steve! And we are glad that you kept that box as well. That is one thing...that I have found here. The history, pictures, and archived records are unlike anywhere else. After losing my Daddy, RacersReunion became my Home. For they could give me the closest thing to him...and that was memories. And everytime, I see a familiar name from years past I get so excited, because to me it is like a Family Reunion! And thanks to Jeff Gilder and the dedicated members here, we continue to grow not only in numbers, but in the capability of what we can preserve here.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

One of my pastplatoon members (soldier)fromFort Braggand friend, Chad York, Race Director for ARCA rookie driver Bill Catania, text me last night and said NBC Sports interviewed him at the track, he thinks theinterview will be aired in the tape-delay race Aug. 15 at 11pm on NBCSports channel.

Spread the word about this airing of the ARCA race on NBC, the more that tune in the greater the chance NBC will continue to air the tap-delayed ARCA races. NBC is airing 4 races this season on a trial bases.

If you have a DVR go to your search option type in "Auto Racing" INSTEAD of "ARCA Racing" if you're having trouble finding the channel to record.

You can also keep up on the ARCA series by visiting and saving their site website. Read last night recap here for the dirt race at Illinois State Fairgrounds. http://www.arcaracing.com/news.php?contentid=16158

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

If you missed last night tape-delayed coverage of the ARCA race at the Illinois State Fairground 1-mile dirt track, you missed a lot!!! Late race bump and pass, door to door lead changes, 3-wide racing (on dirt no doubt), exciting last lap finish where it was anybody's race, and the a surprise ending with the "winner" being black-flagged handing the victory to Brennan Poole for his second straight win.

Next race...again, on dirt...

August 25th Herr's Live Life With Flavor 200 Madison Int'l Speedway 200 Laps Tape delayed on NBC Sports Network August 29 at 11 PM ET
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

What was he black flagged for Jim?

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Well Johnny Mack,

ARCA restarts in a single file, when the 3rd place car jumped the green flag with 5 laps remaining, the 4th place car assumed the greenflag dropped and followed the 3rd place car to the outside. The 3rd place car obviously passed the 1st place carbefore the start line but, it wasn't apparent (on TV)that the 4th place car also advanced a position on the 2nd place car before thegreen flag dropped. Therefore, both 3rd and 4th place restarters were black flagged.

Now, those of us watching on TV knew 3rd place was black flagged, it was obvious he jumped the start. But, what you couldn'tsee on TV and, even the announcers and fansdidn't catch it was the 4th place car also jumping the restart and advancing a position.

So, to the TV viewer, the announcers, and EVEN the Grandstand audience saw the 4th place car take the green flag andovercome 2nd place in one straight-away and, with one lap remaining pulled a bump-and-run on 1st place coming out of turn 4 for the checkers. The crowd went wild, the announcers were nearly peeing themselves with excitement, and I was hoopin' and hollerin' on my couch "WOW! What a race!"

However, when the cars came back around the original 1st place car stopped at the flag stand, took the flag, and did his victory lap, while the rest of us at home, in the stands, and holding microphones were left scratching our heads wondering what happened.

It was all explained shortly that both the 3rd and 4th place cars jumped the restart.

With about 10 laps to go there was another great pass by the eventual 2nd place car, and rookie driver, but he got over anxious and went into the turn too hard and slid high (see center photo) allowing the eventual winner #15to take the lead.

I hope this explains it, if not, I can go over it again.