Charley Stewart, Black American, WWII Vet and Sprint Car Racer, Breaks the Color Barrier to Race Sprint Cars in 1949

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Wendell Scott, not the only one to break the color barrier in racing. Charley Stewart of Indianapolis was racing sprint cars at the same time Wendell was racing in the Sportsman division (1949-1953). This article from the Illustrated Speedway News paper, June 30, 1953has this clip of Charley Stewart "The Tan Torpedo". A lessor known race car driver but, none the less significant, Charley Stewart must have been a pioneer in auto racing. A respected WWII Veteran that served in the China/Burma/India (CBI) theatre of war, and much like the White Veterans' that returned from "The War", Charley found therapy and an outlet in racing. What another interesting part of racing history this could've been. I'm not to sure there's not much else known or written about Charley. I wonder where the story went from this 1953 news clipping?

updated by @jim-wilmore: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Found a news clip on the Midwestracingarcives.com web site promoting a June 1953 CSRA (Central States Racing Association) sprint car event at Fort Wayne Speedway, but not specific to Charlie Stewart.

Fort Wayne, Ind. (June 24, 1953) - The big cars will make their first appearance of the year at the Fort Wayne Speedway on Sunday, racing under the sanction of the Central States Racing Association.

A field of 30, including some of the fastest big cars racing under the CSRA banner, is expected here for the Gold Crown race. A purse of $2,500 has been posted for the eight-event card.

Among the early entries are Bud Randall of Union City, Ind., current leader in the Central States Racing Association point standing; Tom Cherry of Muncie, Ind., and Red Amick of Los Angeles, Calif., driving the Tom Cherry Specials; Jimmy Campbell of Kansas City, who will be at the wheel of a $20,000 Offy, and many others.

Time trials will get under way at 1 p. m., with the first race carded for 2:30 p. m. Two staggered reverse start races, an eight-lap conventional start race; international handicap dash, helmet dash, the semi-feature and feature event make up the big car program.

Also see a book out and about caled "The Rim Riders" by Buzz Rose which looks to be a coffee table type book of the history of the CSRA. Advertised as hard cover, 250 pages, 600 articles and photos. Ad below is from www.coastal181.com :

S-663R
Price: $59.95
Special: $29.95

The Rim Riders

by Buzz Rose

The history of the Central States Racing Association.
They were called the worlds fastest racing circuit. Witness the famous midwestern Hi Banks.
Ted Horn, Joie Chitwood, Tom Hinnershitz, Everett Saylor, Red Campbell, and Jim Wilburn were all CSRA stars.
Hard cover, 250 pages, 600 photos and articles.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Dave

What I findinteresting is to read the terminology of the day; Big cars, eight event card, staggered reverse races, conventional start, international handicap race, and helmet dash, none of which we would recognize the termin todays racing series.

I've read enough about the famed "Offy" engine that seemed to cast a spell on anyone that heard the sound. A few years back Darlington had a Historical Race Festival and some very rare and expensive old 50's modelIndy cars showed up and ran some laps. I'm pretty sure there were a few Offys' in the group because the sound of those engine was like nothing I've ever heard before...it was music to the ears.

Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Some Offys passing by in the 1969 Hoosier Hundred:

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

On August 22, 1965, A.J. Foyt won in his Offy powered roadster on the dirt at the Springfield mile.

The next day, the Indy cars ran at the PAVED Milwaukee Mile. Foyt was supposed to drive his new rear engine car, but it wasn't ready.

At the last moment he decided to try to make the field with the front engine dirt Offy roadster.

He put the dirt track Offy roadster ON THE POLE ahead of all the new rear engine cars!

Check this brief clip of Foyt's Offy roadster leading all those rear engined Fords through the turn!

--
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
11 years ago
488 posts

Dave, that is an amazing story! WOW! It's almost comical seeing AJ in that big oversized sprint car compared to the low, sleek Indy cars...something that can never be duplicated again. Wow!