Who Was Cassius "Top" Mingus of Spartanburg Who Big Bill France Picked to Oversee Florida Racetracks? Perry Allen, Tim, Anybody Know?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I came across a 1959 story where Bill France and Alvin Hawkins, along with Cassius "Top" Mingus of Spartanburg were taking over the operation of two Florida tracks, Orlando Speedway and Eau Gallie Speedway.

I had never heard the name Mingus. I found a news article where he sold the City Book Co. in Spartanburg in 1946.

Anybody know about Mr. Mingus and why he'd be promoting with France and Hawkins? I'm guessing Perry Allen Wood will know this name and can fill us in, or maybe Tim Leeming?

It appears that during Prohibition, Mr. Mingus was suspected of being involved in the illegal liquor trade as noted in the court charges from 1932:

By 1947, Mr. Minus was applying for a license to distribute liquor legally:

And during World War II Mr. Mingus dislayed his patriotism with this ad:

The more I read, the more I want to know about this eclectic fellow from Spartanburg who Big Bill France was entrusting to oversee several Florida weekly racetracks for him.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Dave, There was a Cassius Killian Mingus from Spartanburg that passed away 10-8-1963 at age 58. That would have made him born in 1905 and 27 yrs old when "tops" was born. Might be a name to check the obits and see if you can find "tops". I wonder if young mr. Mason Mingus the Nascar truck driver that did so well last year in the snowball and races for Mingus Racing is a distant relative. I could also check w/ Robert Hart of New Smynra.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I, too, wondered if there were a Mason Mingus connection. Thanks, Bill.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I wonder who wound up legally in possession of the Eau Gallie Speedway Bleachers?

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

From The Greenville News - Wednesday, October 9, 1963

SPARTANBURG - Graveside services for Cassius Killian (Top) Mingus will be conducted Wednesday at 2:20 p.m. at Oakwood Cemetery. He died Monday at 5:45 a.m. at a local hospital.

Surviving are a daughter, Miss Awa Mingus of Spartanburg; and a brother, Haywood Mingus of Detroit. Mich.

J. F. Floyd Mortuary is in charge.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Sounds like Mingus had promoter experience in Spartanburg. Still unsure how he connected with France and Hawkins.

From The Greenville News Wednesday, March 19, 1952

The internationally famous Harlem Globetrotters will play basketball at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium Tuesday at 8 p. m. Appreciated is this note from “Top” Mingus: “I don’t know if you have had an opportunity to see our new building, but this will be good chance for you to see this outstanding sport show and also inspect the building and facilities.”

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Funny anecdote even though logistics don't work since Mingus died in 1963 and Smith didn't race in the 1964 Firecracker.

From The Orlando Sentinel - Sunday, July 5, 1981

Daytona Speedway official Jim Foster guesses that the first attempt at a racing two-way radio was during the 1964 Firecracker in a car driven by Hall of Famer Jack Smith and owned by Spartanburg, S.C., businessman “Top” Mingus.

It worked surprisingly well, except that Mingus, delighted with the new toy, quickly became a bit overbearing in his instructions to Smith. Suddenly, Smith roared into the pit, screeched to a stop, dumped his radio on the pavement, and roared back onto the track.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Good radio story, Chase.

--