Hoss Ellington Passes

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

Sadly, longtime Nascar driver and owner Hoss Ellington has passed away after a battle with cancer, according to the Star-News Online.

Hoss Ellington Passes

Hoss Ellington, the former NASCAR driver and owner who settled in Wilmington, has died at 79.

The North Carolina native died Saturday after a battle with cancer, according to an obituary from Andrews Mortuary.

Born on May 12, 1935, Charles Everett Hoss Ellington moved to Wilmington in 1961 to start an insulation business.

He attended a race at the Carolina Beach Speedway one weekend night in 1963, according to a 2009 StarNews profile.

By the next weekend, he had built a car and entered the race. Leading the race but afraid his engine was going to overheat, Ellington coasted to the finish line and finished second.

The next week he came back and won the race. Over the next several years he won 17 of 21 dirt track races.

He was a NASCAR driver from 1968 to 1970 and a NASCAR car owner from 1968 to 1988. During that time, he was known for his quick wit, one-liners and a stable of drivers that included Donnie Allison, Davey Allison, David Pearson, Buddy Baker, A.J. Foyt and more. In 262 races, the 21 men who took the wheel for Ellington won $1.3 million, eight poles and five races, including the 1977 Talladega 500.

Ellington was inducted into the Greater Wilmington Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

In 2009, he told the StarNews he spent many mornings on his tractor tending to his garden.

It's been a good life for me, he said at the time. If I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing.

He is survived by his wife, three children, two step-children and four grandchildren.

The family will receive friends from 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at Andrews Market Street Chapel at 1617 Market St.

updated by @jay-coker: 08/06/18 06:47:07PM
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

To this day, in my top five paint schemes ever. That 1 with the star in it is just plain awesome.

bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

A well known and well respected man. May he rest in peace. My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

My thoughts are with his family and friends. Thank you for posting this evening.

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

It is awesome. Cool photo. Looks like the car is on land sitting in front of a ship. Do you happen to know the ship in the background?

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

A great loss to our sport. Look at the drivers he built front running cars for.And over a period of 20 years.

He will be greatly missed but never forgotten. The great track in the sky has another great in Gods infield so remember the next time you hear thunder in a distance it just may be another great motor being fired. God Speed my friend

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I'll bet it is the Battleship U.S.S. North Carolina, docked at Wilmington. However, that is strictly a guess.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

A great loss of a link to Cup racing's real glory days. Prayers to family and friends.

--
Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

That's a great guess, Dave. Makes sense being the ship was/is docked in Wilmington and that being his home area. I've never been there. Thank you.

Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

I should also mention that another longtime fixture in the Cup garage- Norman Koshimizu- who was a part of Bobby Allison's Winston Cup Championship crew in 1983 as gasman, and again with Rusty Wallace in 1989- passed away earlier this month, again with a battle with cancer. He was 69.

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
10 years ago
123 posts

Thoughts and prayers for family and friends.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Norman was also the truck driver and gas man at Robert Yates Racing when Davey Allison was driving for Robert and I had Plasti-Kote Spray Paint sponsorships and personal service contracts with them. Here is a link to funeral home obituary and guestbook:

http://jamesfuneralhomelkn.com/norman-toshio-koshimizu

--
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
10 years ago
177 posts

A hilarious story about Hoss, as told by Coo Coo Marlin:

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

The ship in the background is the USS North Carolina. Hoss' shop was out on N Kerr Avenue in his hometown of Wilmington, NC.

Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
10 years ago
171 posts
RIP....Our thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Fifty years ago, in the summer of 1964 Hoss was a dirt-track demon at the old Carolina Beach Speedway

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Hoss Ellington, 2nd on the outside, Richard Brickhouse inside ('55 chevy) chase Stan Grimsley at Carolina Beach Speedway in 1964

Leanne N Boney
@leanne-n-boney
10 years ago
1 posts
RIP Papa.... I love you :( this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do... I miss you already!