Longtime NASCAR personality Ray Fox dies at 98

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
10 years ago
514 posts
Published: Sunday, June 15, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.
Last Modified: Sunday, June 15, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

DAYTONA BEACH Ray Fox, 98, who was one of NASCAR's top engine builders, car owners and crew chiefs in the 1950s and 1960s, died Sunday afternoon at Halifax Health Medical Center.

A spokeswoman for the family said Fox, who moved to this area in the 1940s, was hospitalized a few days ago and was battling a pneumonia. Two of his daughters were at his side during his passing.

Fox, who had a birthday in May, won several big races with some of the sport's premier drivers behind the wheel of his stock cars.

NASCAR Hall of Fame drivers Junior Johnson, David Pearson and Buck Baker all took Fox cars to wins in big races.

Fox and Johnson teamed to win the 1960 Daytona 500 in a car that he built from scratch in his Daytona Beach race shop.

Pearson won the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway while Baker captured a Southern 500 at Darlington Raceway.

Fox worked into his 80s, ending his storied career working as a technical inspector for NASCAR

updated by @stars-radio: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

So sorry to hear this. He was a great man and good friend. May he rest in peace and I send my deepest condolences to his family....

Leon Phillips
@leon-phillips
10 years ago
626 posts

RIP Ray Fox

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

Wow...that's sad. He lived a long life.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

just got the message on Ray. Man I cant believe this. Another great has went to the great track in the sky. Seems like it was not to long ago when I was talking to him in the Mall in Daytona. Rest in Peace my friend !!!

Devin
@devin
10 years ago
618 posts

Me too. Saw the news earlier today...very sad.

Click Here for a few memories posted at RR

Simon Cook
@simon-cook
10 years ago
17 posts

Oh man, another one's gone.

Seems like we're losing an old timer once every two weeks or so at the moment...

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

Your smile and the warm welcome you always offered me when we would meet will be missed but I will remember those days gone by forever. You are a one in a million for a friend and competitor.

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
10 years ago
1,783 posts

So sorry to hear this. Ray was a great man!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts
Living Legends of Auto Racing would like to give you the times for
the services of Mr. Raymond Lee Fox, they will be as follows,

Lohman Funeral Home
1423 Bellevue Ave,
Daytona Beach Fl
386 267-1100
Wednesday June 18, 2014
The family will receive guests from,
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Funeral Services will be held at Lohman Funeral Home
Thursday June 19, 2014
11:00 AM
Interment to follow at,
Daytona Memorial
1425 Bellevue Avenue,
Daytona Beach, Florida.

In lieu of flowers memorial donations may be made in Raymonds name to The Living Legends of Auto Racing, P.O. Box 290854, Port Orange, Florida.32129

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Isn't that the truth? Most of these legends were way before my time. I didn't know about them initially as I was intro'd to racing in the 70s. But bit by bit, I've learned so many more stories of those trailblazers in the decades since.

Yet we know the history of the sport is generally poorly documented, fragmented and sometimes whitewashed or biased in favor of the France bunch - whether intentional or from laziness.

That's one reason among many I appreciate folks like you Perry who carved out a niche to get to know these folks, hear the stories, write the stories, do your best to verify the stories, and document them so other of us can read them. Silent Speedways and Independents are 2 fine books to learn more of the history. I don't have the Greg Moore book yet - but I'm sure its more of the same.

We've lost some good'uns lately. But sadly we ain't seen nothing yet - or at least I haven't. The heroes of my youth are getting older every day - the drivers, owners, promoters, media I HAVE met. I do not look forward to the day those announcements are made.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.