Al Dykes

Andrew Minney
@andrew-minney
9 years ago
35 posts

Hi all

When researching people and I hit a wall, I go sideways or look at someone/something else that connects.

Al Dykes - had a filling station in Atlanta (up to at least 1950); owned and or sponsored the car that was built by Hugh Babb an raced (and crashed) by Bill Carden and Fonty Flock. But who was Al Dykes and where did he come from? What did he do after 1950?

Using all the family history tools I found very little and got no further forward. I now his gas station was at 1361 Gordon Street and he lived at 608 Olympian Way in Atlanta. But that's it.

Can anyone help me further? Anyone got a copy of a photo or advert for his business? It's kinda difficult from over here though I am planning to visit Birmingham & Atlanta later this year.

Can anyone help, please? You can contact me here or at my email address - pontlarge@gmail.com

Thank you,

Andrew

updated by @andrew-minney: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
9 years ago
3,259 posts

I bet our Bill Blair could help you,he and Bill Carden raced together on many tracks in the late 40s and 50s and bet you money he can enlighten you on your venture.

pm Bill Blair on his page and see what happens .

Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
9 years ago
589 posts

Andrew, try contacting Mike Bell. He knows more about Georgia Racing History than anybody I know! He's in the process of writing three books and can tell you just about anything from any series that ran in Georgia from the beginning. Shoot him an email at mikegaracing@gmail.com He'd love to talk to you! Tell him that Cody sent ya!

Andrew Minney
@andrew-minney
9 years ago
35 posts

Thanks Cody, e-mail on its way to him!

Andrew

Andrew Minney
@andrew-minney
9 years ago
35 posts

Thanks Johnny

I'm following up on that.