Atlanta Motor Speedway

Ronnie Smith
@ronnie-smith
9 years ago
2 posts

Did anyone other than myself notice that the Bill Elliott grandstands in turn three and four are no longer there. Wonder why?

updated by @ronnie-smith: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Robert Gregory Hendrix
@robert-gregory-hendrix
9 years ago
83 posts

So racing is over for the year at AMS (the speedway formerly known as AIR). And according to the AP story in my morning newspaper (yes, I still get it) "the stands were not even half full." And I don't know how many seats have been removed, but I thought there used to be stands on the back stretch, too. How much longer before AMS-AIR joins the list of tracks that North Carolina Motor Speedway and North Wilkesboro reside on?

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
9 years ago
907 posts

Yep, I noticed the missing stands....then read where Speedway Motor Sports had removed over 17,000 seats at Atlanta. Could not sell the seats. There's a long list of reasons for this decline, but it don't take the Atlanta-based the Weather Channelto know that it's cold, in the south, in February.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Having last raced (figuratively speaking) in 2012, Bill Elliott FINALLY retired, lol! Maybe Speedway Motorsports figured nobody would miss stands named for a now retired driver.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jay Coker
@jay-coker
9 years ago
177 posts

Never should've reconfigured the track in the first place.

Still waiting for someone to explain to me HOW you go from having two race dates (including the season finale) to giving up the finale, to moving that date to October in the Chase, to moving that date to Labor Day and OUT of the Chase, to losing a date, to moving the Labor Day date BACK to the same crummy spring date on the schedule?

Oh, wait. Bruton Smith knows what he's doing, right? Another year or two and I guess they can finally turn AMS into a lake. And please don't put AIR and AMS in the same sentence- Bruton Smith and Ed Clark havesingle handedly killed racing in the Atlanta market.