Racing History Minute - October 26, 1958 - part 2

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

In 2013, Tim Leeming posted about the October 26, 1958 GN race at Lakewood Speedway near Atlanta.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/28233/racing-history-minute-october-26-1958

Tim also posted about the October 25, 1959 GN race at Concord Speedway - the Lee Kirby Memorial.

http://racersreunion.com/community/forum/stock-car-racing-history/28187/racing-history-minute-october-25-1959-lee-kirby-memorial

On the same day as the 1958 Lakewood GN race, the modifieds raced the sixth annual Lee Kirby Memorial at Concord - one year before the event became a GN race.

The 1957 winner, Banjo Matthews, returned to Concord and again showed the field the fast way around the half-mile. He won the pole in the first of two daily qualifying sessions. Dink Widenhouse qualified second.

On race day, Banjo apparently toyed with the rest of the field a bit. He took the lead 4 different times, but his dominance of the race really wasn't in question. Whether Matthews opted to have some fun with the competition - or the race really was that challenging - or if promoter Bruton Smith asked Banjo to create a good show is unknown. Either way, the Asheville NC driver led 98 of the race's 200 laps and flashed across the finish line first.

But just because he crossed the line first didn't necessarily make him the winner - at least in the eyes of second place finisher Mutt Simpson. A protest was filed alleging Banjo took on fuel during a pit stop - something apparently prohibited by the rules.

As often seems to be the case with NASCAR racing - then and even as recently as Sunday at Talladega - confusion surrounded the finish. Fans left Concord that day as they did at Talladega with uncertainty about the winner of the race.

I found this article noting Banjo's win was under review. But I haven't found anything yet noting if his win was upheld or if Simpson was awarded the win. Without additional info, I'm assuming Banjo kept his win.

I believe this is a pic from victory lane of the 1958 race. Miss Modified's sash says 1959, but I'm thinking she may have been selected to serve from late 1958 through 1959. The 1959 GN season started in November 1958 at Champion Speedway in Fayetteville. Other tracks may have followed suit with the start of the 1959 season before the calendar turned. Also, I blew up the photo, and the trophy clearly says Lee Kirby on it. - Getty

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 10/26/19 10:59:09AM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
5 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM