Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

I've always thought lefties looked unusual in their delivery. Unorthodox, it may have been...but never-the-less a solid strike by Stewart.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Yes, Jarrett's was one of the best I've ever seen. One of the best misses ever (didn't see it...heard about it) was when Barry Dodson (working for Petty) slung a screw driver at David Pearson. According to David in a recent interview on our show that included him and Barry...he said to Barry "It's a damn good thing you missed!".

--
John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
12 years ago
62 posts

I didn't see the helmet heaves or read anything about it, sounds like Tony threw a tantrum...but I do know that Al Hoffmann was the toughest hombre who ever strapped himself into a nitro-fuelled hot rod. He had fun and he ran a top-5 team for several years, he had talent as a driver and a competitor, but it was his personality and his very presence at the drag strip that set him apart from everybody else. You didn't have to wait for a candygram to find out if Al Hoffmann disagreed with you. You also didn't have to wonder if he had anything good to say about you, either. The whiners and threaters were trying to imitate Big Al's style. Everybody knew that. Hoffmann smirked at them. Nobody messed with that guy and nobody could come close to having the respect and admiration of his peers like he had.

Force commented on Hoffmann's round win in Bristol over Cory Mac when Bruton Smith made the Funny Cars race the Top Fuel Dragsters for a couple of years. Cory Mac pulled up and staged while Big Al was pre-staged. Al whacked the throttle for a split-second...his car did a dry-hop and landed deep-staged, then instantly the tree was activated and off he went, with Cory Mac totally distracted. He won the round on a holeshot, and Force said it was the greatest starting line sleight-of-hand he'd ever seen.

I was sorry to lose him a few years ago, but he was unforgettable not only for his greatness as a racer but for the imprint he left on drag racing. Another Al Hoffmann will not be coming along. We were lucky to have him when we did. JB

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Great read, JB! Would you considerwritingsomeof this stuff for our home page? Wedesperatelyneed some Drag Racing entries.

--
John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
12 years ago
62 posts

Sure, Jeff! Do you have a specific subject in mind? Point me at a keyboard and all hell's likely to break loose! Thanks, JB

John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
12 years ago
62 posts

I went to the Racers Reunion Home Page and checked it out. I'll send in a piece this week, Jeff! Thanks, JB

John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
12 years ago
62 posts

Sent it...thanks! JB