The Wally Bell Show

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Three or four years ago I attended a nostalgia drag event at Virginia Motorsports Park. I set up my little tent, camera, and lights and began to interview legendary drag racers like Dennis Hitchcock, Ed Miller, and Big Daddy Don Garlits. I met and interviewed another familiar name in drag racing that day Wally Bell. Wally and I began to communicate via our Drag RacersReunion site and became friends. I was looking for the right personality to host a drag racing talk radio show, so much of our communication was me trying to get Wally to agree to do a show. He turned me down again and again. But, finally he gave in and The Wally Bell Show was born in the Spring of 2010.

I knew Wally would be a great host. Yes, Ill take credit having that gut-feeling. He and co-hosts, Gordy Foust, George Nye, and Greg Zyla have made our Wednesday night radio programming a true delight for any drag racing fan. They have interviewed numerous racers from the days when drag racing was best. Thats what we older folks think, ya know. It may be great now, but it was better then. Wally will not agree with that statement. I call him Wally the glass if always half-full Bell. He is the eternal optimistand one with a very positive outlook on most everything. The only thing Wally doesnt like is bitching and griping. Thats the one thing that will get him to wellbitching and griping, too.

The Wally Bell Show came to an end this week. I hope it is a temporary thing. Wally said he needed a break and we certainly respect that. It takes a lot of time to prepare, promote, and host a talk showeven if is just one hour, one night a week. Wally took his show very seriously. He was a radio-rookie who became a true professional. He treated his radio show like it was a responsibility and everyone knew it.

I felt the need to write this about Wally and his great show. Were going to miss him and his butter-smooth interview style. I certainly hope after some rest, hell miss us, too and come back to RacersReunion Radio. I wish you the very best, my friend,

Jeff Gilder, Producer, The Wally Bell Show

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/21/16 12:44:03PM
Devin
@devin
12 years ago
618 posts

I fondlycalled him Mr. Wally "Gatore" Bell and sometimes "Sir Wally Two-shoes." :) It was/is a pleasure to listen to his shows and I hope he will be back at some point in the future.

Enjoy your break. Hope we'll see you aroundfrom time to time. The best to you, Wally!

"Dangerous Devin"

Thomas Warren2
@thomas-warren2
12 years ago
23 posts

The Wally Bell Show, Yes. Jeff is right on calling Wally smooth. I think he knew what he would say next, without thinking. Having met Wally and Bev, you learn that the past is who you are. He has so much knowledge aboutracing,sharing mostly drag racing with us. But Wally and Bev is about the people they got to know along the way. Any sport is about the people, without them you have nothing. But Drag Racing is a Family. They help and support the little guy, so the big guys can race. You need both to keep a track open. Finding this site, DragRacersReunion has started many friendships. Having met a few and talked on the phone with some, the chat room added a reason to look forward to a special night. With luck the show will go on and Wally will be back, even as a guest. Will their be someone as good as Wally, hopefully. We have many good shows on Zeus Radio,with many sharing different racing venues. Some of us like anything that moves. MaybeWally needs sometime to come up with even more interesting stories. We wish them the best of luck in all the traveling that they do. We look forward to seeing them at the next event that we can attend. Thank You all for some of the best nights you can have on the internet. Yellow 1935 Chevy, aka Thomas Warren.

Barb2
@barb2
12 years ago
91 posts

Wally and Bev are two of the nicest people in drag racing .. no matter what class you were involved in. I look forward to spending time with him in March at the EMMR and there ain't nobody taking our special bench at York (we might let a few of you join us though).

I wish you nothing but the best, Wally, and hope to hear you back on the air next year.

Bill Pratt
@bill-pratt
12 years ago
460 posts

Wally and I go back about 25 years, and that's a NEW friendship for Wally! Everyone who knows Wally and Bev love 'em. He was the person who tole me about Racers' Reunion. I was proud to share the airwaves with him and I hope his mellow tones again grace Racer's Reunion one of these days soon. bp

John R. Bockelman
@john-r-bockelman
12 years ago
62 posts

Best radio talk show I ever tuned in to. Do your thing, Wally. We'll miss your smooth style and warm personality on Wednesday nights, but at the same time I'm happy for you to continue to live your wonderful life your own way in your own time. Best to you in the future. Also a big thanks to George Nye, Gordy Foust, Greg Zyla and Jeff Gilder, who helped make your show what it is: the BEST! JB

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
12 years ago
1,783 posts

Just so you know, Wally. RacersReunion Radio is a little like the mafia...once you've been on the inside, you can never actually leave....lol

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®