New Website Help - Questions, Answers, and Tips

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

To help all members get through the learning curve, let's use this topic to post questions, answers, and tips.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/22/16 06:33:27PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

How to post a new forum topic.

Click "Forum" Click on the Category to which you want to post

Click the "+" Add your Title and post

--
Don Teague
@donald-teague
8 years ago
17 posts

Forum main page

The spacing between topic and description causes confusion. It appears the description is for topic located close below, instead of other way with topic just above description.

updated by @donald-teague: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Hi Don,

Yes, I see what you mean. I don't think I'm ready (at this point) to tackle changing the code to reverse that. Don't want to screw something else up in the process. But, I will keep it on the (things to explore list). Thanks for your feedback, Don. 

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Looks like tags for photos and forum posts didn't transfer from the Ning site to the new one. As a test, I tried to add multiple tags to one of my photos. After adding the first one, the site had me wait 1 minute before adding another. Any reason for this delay? I find multiple tags help with searches. Yet I don't plan to wait 1 minute between each tag I want to add. Thanks.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Chase,

Correct the tags did not transfer. Ning did not provide "tag data" for the migration. I'm not sure why the wait. I haven't experienced that. But, I will tag some more and see if I can duplicate the problem. 

Thanks, Chase!

--

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/18/16 05:41:50PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Example

tags.png

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Hmmm, I just took the first photo in the gallery and added several tags separated with a comma and had no issues. Then I went back and did it "correctly"...one tag at a time, and had no issues. Try again and see if it is still giving you that error...if you don't mind. There was some maintenance/updates going on a while back....had me jammed up on a couple of things. Maybe that's all it was.

Thanks,

Chase

--

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/18/16 05:50:01PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Is there a way to search within subsets of the site as we had at the old joint? When I click the magnifying glass and entered a search term, I get a sampling from all areas from across the site - photos, posts, videos, groups, members. For example, I want to be able to search just within photos AND have the results return more than the 4 pics I'm currently getting.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

No, this platform combines all searches into one grid. I actually like this better. It shows you all the content related to your search.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
8 years ago
4,073 posts

Is there a way to edit the category for a forum post after it's posted? I forgot to choose one with one of my posts & would like to now mark it as Racing History.

Found way to edit the post itself - but so far, haven't discovered way to edit the forum category.

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Chase,

Looks like you figured it out. I also set you up (just now) as an admin so you can see more of how this thing works. 

Jeff

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Chase,

If you click on the forum topic,, then click on the gear, and scroll to the bottom of the page, you can change the category. Hope this helps,

Jeff

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
8 years ago
9,137 posts

How do I post a video in a response?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
8 years ago
1,783 posts

Hi Dave,

You can copy the embed code or copy the the video link. Either show work. To copy the embed code click on the this symbol "<>" in the text editor menu. It is just to the right of the "eye". 

Here, I'm copying the YouTube link :

Hope this helps.

Jeff

--

updated by @jeff-gilder: 12/26/16 03:00:10PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

@jeff-gilder I can use the search feature for forum posts on my iPad. I cannot, however, search galleries or member names with it. The search box is visible but iOS will not allow me to tap inside it to enter a search query on either. Any chance the search function can be edited for galleries and members to match what works on the forum page?

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
7 years ago
1,783 posts

Chase, I'll check it out and see what can be done. Thanks !

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

FYI Chase & Jeff..

I AM ABLE to search member names using an Android tablet.

Also able to search galleries on Android tablet, after first selecting "Galleries" from the 3 options on the drop down photo menu.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Good info @dave-fulton. I can search Galleries & Members on PC with Chrome & Firefox. But I can't with my ipad - neither with Safari or Chrome browser. Must be something to do with iOS vs Google operating system on mobile.

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
7 years ago
1,783 posts

I have the same issue with my iPad....but still do not have an answer. 

--
Larry Clayton
@larry-clayton
7 years ago
19 posts

Can't get the log in page to remember information,

even when checking the box. Very annoying.....

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

@larry-clayton Have had similar issue. Sometimes log-in is retained for next session. Sometimes it isn't. 

--