Racing History Minute - June 29, 1952 - Shreveport

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

As best I can tell, NASCAR has sanctioned only one national touring series races in the state of Louisiana. Lee Petty won that race at the state fairgrounds in Shreveport in 1953.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2013/06/june-7-1953-lee-petty-wins-in-shreveport.html

The 1/2 mile dirt track hosted other racing events, however, with many of them sanctioned by IMCA - the International Motor Contest Association.

One such race was a 200-lap, 100-mile race on Sunday, June 29, 1952. I was able to find a couple of articles from the Shreveport newspaper previewing the race and recapping it on Monday.

Race preview

Track officials have been busy conditioning the Fair Grounds oval for the final auto race of the spring and summer season. Perfect weather conditions have been promised, and after the many hours spent on track conditioning, a perfect afternoon of racing thrills is assured for the many race fans in the Shreveport area.

The use of a modern multi-wheeled packer, after chemical applications, will assure the drivers us well as the spectators of a track as dust-free as humanly and mechanically possible to attain.

Frank R. Winkley, manager of the International Motor Contest association event, praised fair and city officials for the splendid cooperation received, particularly the city water department in furnishing help and equipment for the conditioning work.

All things point to a red hot battle Sunday afternoon in the 100-mile speed jamboree as many local pilots ready their late model cars for the fight with many state and regional champions from all sections of the country.

Jim Wainwright, well known local speedster, has profited from past experience and claims to have his 1951 model ready to go. Jim, who holds the I.M.C.A. world's record for the 100-mile dash, had the misfortune of losing three wheels during the last race held here on June 15.

With several years of experience in both big cars and modified stocks, Wainwright is a threat to any and all drivers who might be eyeing the checkered flag. Jimmie Clark of Fort Worth broke the 100 lap record in his last appearance here on June 15. This record had been held by Wainwright and was established on the Shreveport oval almost a year ago. Both these pilots will see action in the 200-lap event which is scheduled for 2:30. Time trials will start at 1:30.

Race report

Snuffy Smith, local late model stock ear driver took a roaring first place in the 100-mile feature race at the Fair Grounds yesterday. Smith edged another Shreveport racer, Roxy Dancey, who came in second.

Glen Larson, Aurora, Ill., grabbed third in the 200-lap spotlighter.

Of equal importance, three International Motor Contest association records were broken by Ralph Dyer, an ex-Shreveport policeman. In the time trials, Dyer and Larson both posted 32 seconds for the half-mile run. The 50-lap record was also downed by Dyer who did it in 26.01. Dyer, who made a clean sweep of almost every record in the book but was put out of the race by a broken spindlebolt in the 155 lap, also broke the 100-lap record with a 55.81.

----------

I have to admit this race caught my attention because of the winner's name: Snuffy Smith. It's been years since I've seen that name in the color section of our Sunday paper. But I still remember Snuffy and his compadre as part of the multi-page comics in The Tennessean. Wonder if race driver Snuffy got his nickname from the comic strip. And I wonder if he had a mechanic named Barney Google!

SnuffySmith.jpg

I also believe I found an obituary for Elzie Drew "Snuffy" Smith who passed away in 2007 at the age of 86. 

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/shreveporttimes/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=95592977

BIENVILLE PARISH, LA - Graveside services for Elzie Drew "Snuffy" Smith, 86, will be held at 10 a.m. Friday, October 5, 2007, at Woodard Cemetery in Taylor, LA, with the Rev. Jimmy Eppinette officiating. 

Mr. Smith died October 2, 2007, at his home in Taylor, LA. He was preceded in death by his wife of 56 years, Julia Reno Smith, and his son, Michael Ray Smith.

Snuffy was an avid dirt track racer for over 31 years, maintaining a top 3 position for 24 of those years. He raced at tracks located throughout Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas.

Survivors include his sons, Gene Smith and wife Becky of Taylor, LA, David Smith of Shreveport, LA and Donnie Smith of Sibley, LA; step-son, Jack Martin of Minden, LA; daughters, Cathy Cardwell and Liz Herndon both of Shreveport, LA and Julie Blackshear of Waskom, TX; ten grand children, twelve great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 06/28/17 10:49:15PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

I think Barney Google later moved to silicon valley in California and started an internet tech company.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM