Racing History Minute - June 30, 1973

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Several big names from NASCAR's national Late Model Sportsman division returned to Nashville for the Union 76 200 race on June 30, 1973

1973 Nashville Union 76 ad 063073TN.png

The race drew many of the biggies of that era including Sam Ard, L.D. Ottinger, Red Farmer, and Jack Ingram. The race also drew up and comer Neil Bonnett as well as former GN racer Sam McQuagg.

Many of the local drivers mixed in with the out-of-towners including Charlie Binkely, Darrell Waltrip, Flookie Buford, James Ham, Bill Morton, Freddy Fryar, Alton Jones, and Paddlefoot Wales.

Dave Marcis also entered the race as he balanced his season of late model races and a Cup career of racing for himself and a few races for Roger Penske.

1973 Nashville Union 76 preview edited 062973TN.png

In addition to the LMS practice and three local series races, fans were entertained by a motorcyle jump by stuntman Jose Canuc. Not "Ho-zay Kan-uck" but "Oh Say Can You See". A second night of weekend racing was held on Friday night. The LMS cars had a practice session. And a 50-lap, double-points feature race for the track's limited sportsman division was held on Nashville's quarter-mile track.

Jose was a bit of a poor man's version of Evel Knievel - but he likely came at a much cheaper appearance rate! He didn't jump as far as Knievel, but part of this schtick was that he handed on a very narrow, 24-inch ramp.

Though I'm not yet absolutely certain, I believe Nashville teenager and future NASCAR driver Bobby Hamilton was watching Jose's pre-jump message. Hamilton raced in the limited sportsman races on Friday and Saturday nights, and I think that is him behind Jose's right shoulder.

1973 Nashville Union 76 200 Jose Canuc tmc.png

Race results for limited sportsman and mini-stock races + preview for Union 76 200. 

1973 Nashville Union 76 preview 063073TN.png

I'm not sure the qualifying order. Time trials were held just a few hours before the race, and I suppose Max York' chose to focus his column inches on the race itself.

Alabama drivers were up front early and often with Farmer and Bonnett leading big chunks of laps. And Alton Jones - often thought of my me as a "local" but was actually from Birmingham - had a solid run with a P4 finish.

With about 50 to go, however, Farmer's rail run came to an end when he t-boned the spun car of Bobby Baucom.

Waltrip struggled throughout the race with tire wear. Though he claimed a 10th place finish, it was a bit out of character for the driver who generally won whenever he showed at the track. Big picture, however, he was fine as he later claimed his second track late model championship at the end of the 1973 season.

I can only imagine how bent Dave Marcis must have been. Because of issues with his truck, he arrived late at the Fairgrounds and after qualifying had been completed. I would think Bill Donoho, the track's leaseholder and track promoter, could have offered a sponsor's exemption to allow Marcis to start. Instead, he was not allowed to race and left the track with all costs and no earnings.

Jerry Lawley was a fairgrounds regular - though not a frequent winner at the track. He arrived at the track on Saturday just before qualifying began. Unlike Marcis, he DID make it in time to qualify - though he didn't have time to unload and shake down the car in practice. He timed a reasonable 10th and continued tweaking the car to get it race ready.

Though Farmer, Bonnett, L.D. Ottinger and Sam Ard led almost all of the race, Lawley stayed in contention. With less than 10 laps to go, he made his move. He went to the point and drew away from Ard and Bonnett to claim his biggest career LMS win.

1973 Nashville Union 76 Lawley 070173TN.png

1973 Nashville Union 76 Lawley p3 070173TN.png

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM