Dale Earnhardt Drove a #45

dan beddingfield
@dan-beddingfield
6 years ago
11 posts

hi, can some one help me out?Dale Earnhardt drove a #45 in 1982 march 13 at bristol and there is no owner or sponsor to tell what the car was, any one know any thing about the car or have photos? people said it was Charlie Lucks but got a email from him and he said it was not his car
thanks dan

--
miss3bad
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
6 years ago
4,073 posts

First guess - possible data error on Racing-Reference? Solid site, but I've helped them a few corrections over the years.

A couple of possible sources: Grand National Scene or Southern MotorRacing issues from that era or maybe the 1983 Bristol program that may have had pics from the 1982 races. eBay?

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
dan beddingfield
@dan-beddingfield
6 years ago
11 posts

so did he drive a #45? and if so what yr?

thanks for the help

--
miss3bad
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
6 years ago
4,073 posts

Dunno. Racing-Reference.info shows Earnhardt raced a #45 at the spring 82 Busch race (then Bud LMS). But could be an error on the site. He raced #15 on his Pontiacs in 82-83, his two years with Bud Moore on the Cup side. Unless some owner offered him a 45 car at Bristol, I would guess racing-reference has a data error & that it should be 15. But without a photo, news article, scoring sheet, etc., I don't know.

--
dan beddingfield
@dan-beddingfield
6 years ago
11 posts

thanks for helping out a lot of people have been trying to find out if he did

--
miss3bad
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
6 years ago
4,073 posts

Brad Teague raced #15 in that race - his only Bud LMS start of the season. Team had a tough time making starts. But, he did make the show at Bristol. Dave Fulton thought Earnhardt may possibly have raced a car for Ed Whitaker as he did in the summer Bristol race. Perhaps the team simply changed Earnhardt's regular 15 into a 45 since Teague already entered with 15. May help explain reasoning for 45 - but would still be good to see a picture.

--
dan beddingfield
@dan-beddingfield
6 years ago
11 posts

wow thanks the news is getting better anyway it would be great if someone would come up with a photo, or if we could find out the owner or who was the sponsor?

thanks for working on this, i have been trying for a long time on this car just like his #72 i have talked to a lot of people but nothing

thanks again

dan

--
miss3bad