Morehead City track

DIrtshooter
@dirtshooter
5 years ago
26 posts

I was going threw the AutoRacingRecords.com tack list or North Carolina working on my location database. I was looking for the 1/2 mile dirt oval listed as Morehead City and came across this on a Feb. 1957 aerial. It measures out @ 1/3 mile and was located on the northside of Country Club Road, between W/E Hedrick Drives and Oxford Court, 1/2 mile west of the Country Club golf course. I did a newspaper search and only found stuff for the greyhound course called Carolina Race Track on US 70. Does anyone have any info on this mystery track? 

--
Like my Daddy always said, "If ya gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be TOUGH!"
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
5 years ago
162 posts

The best I can tell the Morehead City Speedway opened on June 19, 1955. The winner the first week was Billy Myers. They raced every Sunday to August 7th. There was only a total of 7, or 8 weekly races. Winners were Billy Myers (2 times), Bill Cooper (3 times), Emmett Hare, and Fireball Roberts 1 time each. I haven't been able to find a winner on July 31st which may have been rained out. Hurricane Connie came thru on August 12, and may have destroyed the track. I can find no information on the track after August 7th, 1955. If anyone has information on this track please post it.

updated by @jack-walker: 07/19/19 11:57:55AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
5 years ago
9,137 posts

Happy belated birthday Jack!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
vijayasree5
@vijayasree5
5 years ago
2 posts

Find over 2328 of the best running routes in Morehead City. Maps, events, races, & running clubs in Morehead City, NC. Track & analyze your runs.