1967 Mercury Cougar,Bud Moore pepared, Tiny Lund driver in the '68 Grand American series

team_cougar
@team-cougar
15 years ago
8 posts
Looking for information about these Cougars that ran in the '68 series. I own a few photos and the zoom trans Ads. Is it possible to track down someone who worked on these Cougars or raced in this series. I'm a Mercury Cougar NASCAR race car. I plan to build a tribute NASCAR Cougar street legal in the future.
updated by @team-cougar: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
You could contact my Dad who raced with Tiny and bought the cars in 69 from Bud. Actually, Reid Shaw did and Dad drove them. I could e-mail you his # if you like.Kevin Andrews
team_cougar
@team-cougar
15 years ago
8 posts
Kevin,Thank you for the reply. Your dad must be Wayne ? Yes I would like to talk to him in the near future. I need to get a list of question together first. The info I have about the Shaw racing program is that it operated in the basement of a tie factory . Reid owned a textile manufacturer in Asheboro NC on Salisbury street. He owned a Cougar NASCAR one of the Bud Moore prepared "68 Grand American series Cougars. Wayne Andrews was a experianced local short track driver who I belived hailed from Siler City, NC where I believe he owned a operated a machine shop. Wayne may have built the engines Boss 302s or 351s depending on the track. I have a post card of Wayne next to a #15 Cougar so I'm sure he drove these Cougar also. Later Reid owned a '71 Mustang fastback and a '69/70 Cougar ( I have heard that the '69/70 Cougar may have been the '67 rebodied with 69/70 sheet metal ,I have a photo of the Tiny Lund next to a pepsi sponsored 69 Cougar. If you look close at the photo it still has the '67 roof on it. I wonder if this was a Shaw Cougar? I also know of a story about Tom Pistone having a 69/70 body style behind his shop in the 80's I think it changed owners a few times. Then a Russ Myers bought it and found out the it was the Dan Gurney Trans Am Cougar and restored it back to Trams Am trim.I better stop for now.
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
The only thing is Dad doesn't run a machine shop. Started a Wheel and Brake shop and later just wheel alignments. He now helps me at the shop but not all full time. It is nice to have him there though. Great to see some of the guys stop by and they talk about the past. Even when they blowed the motor at Daytona that they got from Bud and rebuilt it in the hotel bathtub for the next day.
team_cougar
@team-cougar
15 years ago
8 posts
Kevin,Thanks for the reply. I looked at the pictures under your name, they are great. I was wondering if you had any interior shots (roll cage, dash) or engine area.Please email me with your phone number I would like to talk to you about the NASCAR Cougars.Thanks Kendallteam_cougar68@yahoo.com
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
E-mail sent Kendall.
team_cougar
@team-cougar
15 years ago
8 posts
Kevin,I did not recieve it.team_cougar68@yahoo.comTry it again!Thanks Kendall
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
Sent another one to you.Kevin
Kevin Andrews
@kevin-andrews
15 years ago
12 posts
If you don't get the e-mail, you can shoot one at me. waynesalign@embarqmail.com
team_cougar
@team-cougar
15 years ago
8 posts
Got it,Sent one to the shopThanksKendall
James Trout
@james-trout
15 years ago
5 posts
Hi, my dad purchased the 1969 Bud Moore Mercury Cougar from Ried Shaw whose driver was Wayne Andrews. I have a photograph on my site with the story behind its time while my dad owned it. He sold it to someone in the Mid-West, wonder if you may know who that is. look forward to hearing from you, James Trout