Sox & Martin Superbird

Rob Greuling
@rob-greuling
13 years ago
3 posts

Hey all...new to the site, and already looking for info. I'd like to write a class paper about the Sox and Martin Superbird and any effect it might have had on the sport. I would greatly appreciate any pics, info, dates, names related to it.

Not a lot known, but here's what I think I know:

- 1 of 2 superbirds built to knock Ray Allen's Conv. Chevelle out at the 70 nats Labor Day weekend.

- Campaigned in C/MP and SS/E by Joe Fisher in 1970

- Sold to a dragstrip owner in Louisiana. He raced it as 'SuperChicken' through the 70's

- Wrecked in the late 70's and a roadrunner front clip was put in place of the bird nose. Wing was removed. An anonamous user posted a pic post accident, but it is corrupt...really want to see that pic

- Rumor has it the car is still in Louisiana somewhere.

Is this the same roadrunner Rusty Butterworth ran in AHRA? Pretty sure that was an 68-69? That car was in a backyard in Arizona around 2004.

Here's the latest pic I've got...anybody have any newer pics/info?

updated by @rob-greuling: 02/25/18 04:38:29PM
Rob Greuling
@rob-greuling
13 years ago
3 posts
Thanks. Been chatting with HemiFred on Moparts site. He just fired back some good info. I'll post a link to the gouge.
Rob Greuling
@rob-greuling
13 years ago
3 posts

As promissed...here's the link from moparts.org. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=Racer&Number=6658433&fpart=&PHPSESSID =

Also, anybody know when/where this pic of Jake King was taken? Notice the bird over his shoulder? Could this be the S&M bird before race conversion? Awful close to their rig.