Early Competition Mustangs in Drag Racing

Mike11
@mike11
10 years ago
1 posts

Good afternoon,

By way of background, I am a historic motorsports author/photographer/lecturer. My current project deals with early competition Mustangs, those being the cars that raced between the Mustangs introduction in mid-April, and EOY 1964. This research continues across all genres of competition. In regards to drag racing, there are three issues I am trying to resolve. Does anyone have any documentation such as race coverage, entry lists, event results, programs, photos, etc.?

1. Bob Jarvis may have won F/SA at the April 26, 1964 Regional Meet at Detroit Dragway. Jarvis may have been the parts manager at Bob Ford in Detroit.
  2. Ron Pellegrini created the Quarter Horse AFX Mustang when he swapped the drive-train out of the Hawkinson Ford Thunderbolt and put it into a Mustang notchback body. Records indicate he first appeared in the car at the World Series of Drag Racing in Cordova, IL on August 27-30, 1964. He may have appeared earlier, but that is the earliest I can find him.
  3. Len Richter competed in the Hemi Haunter at Detroit Dragway on August 28-30, 1964 for the World Championship Drags. Again he may have appeared earlier but that is what I show as the cars debut.

Any help anyone could provide would be gratefully appreciated.

Take care, Mike Matune

updated by @mike11: 12/05/16 08:53:24AM