Unsung Hero's Attempt to Pay Back Richard & the Petty Family

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I stumbled across a 10-12 year old article this morning on the internet published in www.ConstructionEquipmentGuide.com . It's ironic that I saw it on a New Hampshire race weekend.

It brought memories of one of the nicest, most unique and unsung men I ever met in racing. His name is Hugh Hawthorne of Richmond, Virginia and I'll post the article I read a little further down the page. I'm guessing Hugh must be around his mid 80s today.

Former Richmond track operator, Paul Sawyer first introduced me to Hugh in 1981. Not only did he own Richmond's Alpine Construction Company, he also was one of three men who owned the 50% share of Richmond Fairgrounds Raceway stock not owned by Sawyer.

Hawthorne's company owned heavy equipment used for grading and site preparation. It included bulldozers, backhoes and a fleet of dump trucks in addition to standard grading equipment. All were readily recognizable, painted green & white, with the Alpine Construction logo inside a drawing of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Hugh Hawthorne (center) with Alpine Construction Co. Equipment

I don't really know how Hugh got his start around racing. I do know that he used to lead the guard rail repair crew for Darlington and Daytona, as well as Richmond, before concrete walls and today's SAFER barriers.

When Wrangler Jeans sponsored its first Wrangler SanforSet 400 Winston Cup race at Richmond in September 1981, I got a call from Hugh asking the names and birthdates of every important executive and guest I'd have at the race. Little did I know that Hugh owned one of the finest collections of antique cars in the United States and was very instrumental in the organization and operation of various antique car organizations.

When my important guests arrived for Richmond race day in September 1981, each guest and executive was seated in their own personal Hugh Hawthorne antique vehicle built in the same year they were born. It was amazing.

To look at him, you'd never know Hugh had a dime to his name. He'd stand in the mud with post hole diggers repairing guard rail while his well dressed and fashionable wife served delicacies to friends at the race.

Hugh was born in Meherrin, Virginia, south of Richmond as you drive to South Boston on U.S. 360. One of his good friends, also from Meherrin, is country music star, Roy Clark. Hugh would bring Roy to the Fairgrounds to perform for the racers at our driver & media picnics. In Hugh's den is a sparkling Roy Clark jumpsuit and banjo in a glass case.

The other item of note in Hugh Hawthorne's den on Courthouse Road in Richmond is a #43 Richard Petty Superbird. That's because Hugh and the " King" have been longtime friends and Hugh traded a bulldozer and a backhoe to Richard for the Superbird back in the 70s. Our RR member, Billy Biscoe might have been working at Petty Enterprises when the car was prepared for Hugh.

Hugh Hawthorne's Richard Petty Superbird in one of its infrequent trips out of the Hawthorne den in Richmond

When you see the photos of the Richmond 1/2-mile track being torn up following the February 1988 race, that's Richard Petty on board one of Hugh's bulldozers ripping up the first few feet of asphalt.

Richard Petty on Hugh Hawthorne's Bulldozer at Richmond in February 1988

Those items are just several of hundreds of collectibles Hugh has amassed over the years. His property included heated/air conditioned warehouses where antique cars and watch collections were housed alongside staggering other collections of everything imaginable. He'd always invite our special Wrangler guests to tour the premises and they always left amazed.

Hugh Hawthorne shows off a few watches from his vast collection

Hugh sold his Richmond race track stock in October 1981, but through the years handled all construction projects for Sawyer, including the track expansion to 3/4-mile in 1988. Today one of his sons operates Alpine Construction and another son runs a separate construction company.

Richmond has always been a special place for the Pettys. Richard has a daughter married to former Late Model Sportsman driver, Charlie Luck who lives there and runs Luck Stone and Luck Quarries. Of course, Richard is the all-time race winner at Richmond. Dad, Lee won the first Cup race at Richmond in 1953 and son, Kyle completed the sweep in February 1986, becoming the first and to date only member of a family to win three Cup races at any venue.

I remember Hugh Hawthorne watching Adam Petty take a few "unauthorized" laps in Kyle's Mello Yello Cup car at a Richmond test session some years back and how excited he was to see the 4th generation of that family on the Richmond track he helped build, even if it wasn't official.

I can only imagine how hard it hit Hugh to learn of Adam's tragic accident in New Hampshire.

The old magazine article I read tells of how Hugh was able to help his friends, the Petty family in a way well suited to his talents. I don't know that you can use the term "pay back," perhaps "paying it forward" is more appropriate.

Today, Richmond's Hugh Hawthorne sits on the Board of Directors of Victory Junction Gang Camp . I wish you could all know him. In my opinion, he is one of racing's unsung heroes. Here's the little story of some of the wheels Hugh got turning after Adam's death:

Heavy Hitters Team Up for Victory Junction Project
Construction Equipment Guide

By: Giles Lambertson

Born of heartache, a camp for sick children in North Carolina has touched the hearts of numerous heavy hitters in the southeast regions construction industry.

The Victory Junction Gang Camp is little more today than 65 acres of trees and a couple of cleared areas. But the project already has created enormous goodwill among contractors and holds promise of being a true blessing to thousands of children within a few years.

The camp is the brainchild of the racing family of North Carolina, Richard and Kyle Petty. Richard Petty is a retired NASCAR legend and the son of another legend, Lee. Richards son, Kyle, still races on the NASCAR circuit.

But a fourth generation of Petty racing men, Adam, is the emotional center point of the camp. Adam Petty was killed in May 2000 when his Busch Series race car rammed a wall at the New Hampshire International Speedway.

Before that tragedy, Kyle and his wife, Pattie, had become interested in a series of free camps operated for children who suffer with life-threatening illnesses. They are called Hole in the Wall Gang Camps and are patterned after a camp started in the New England area by actor Paul Newman.

The Pettys had visited one of the camps in Florida, The Boggy Creek Gang Camp, as celebrity hosts for a fund-raiser. The Pettys liked the idea so much they decided to bring one to North Carolina.

Then Adam was killed at age 19 and the project became a balm that took on new meaning for the whole Petty family and its friends.

Construction of the camp truly is a labor of love. It is being constructed on land given by the family, and being cleared by a friend of the family, Hugh Hawthorne , who is volunteering his labor using equipment loaned by a dealer. Charity begets charity .

The project began to roll after Hawthorne got wind of the Pettys determination to establish the camp. The Hawthornes and Pettys have been close friends for decades.

Richard donated 100 acres on the back side of his farm, said Hawthorne. I told him, count me in. Ill come in and do the site work.

Hawthorne is more than just a family friend and former stock car racing driver. He is a retired construction contractor from Richmond, VA. To get started, he borrowed a couple of pieces of equipment from his sons, both of whom also are contractors in the Richmond area. Hugh Jr. runs Excaliber Construction. Scot is president of Alpine Construction.

With equipment in tow, the 72-year-old Hawthorne and a friend of his, Walter Link, rumbled on down I-85 in early spring of this year to the Petty property south of Greensboro, NC, near Level Cross. There the volunteers began their personal quest to begin turning 65 rural acres into a campsite.

The acreage is fully-wooded with stands of pine and hardwoods and is gently rolling like much of North Carolina. It is situated near a stream called Polecat Creek and adjacent to one of the states many paved farm-to-market roadways.

Before long, Hawthorne realized he needed more equipment. So he approached a John Deere equipment dealer in the Richmond area with whom he and his sons had worked, James River Equipment.

James River operates 11 John Deere equipment and parts outlets in Virginia, four more in North Carolina and one in South Carolina. Mark Romer, president of the company, listened to his good customers pitch. Romer has stated that he quickly realized the camp was a very interesting project, a good idea.

That meant Hawthorne and Link suddenly had a wealth of John Deere equipment with which to work. Romer has provided to them, for free, an 850C dozer, a 755C crawler loader, two excavators a 330 LC and 200CLC and a 9400 ag tractor to pull a scraper pan. He threw in an articulated off-road truck for the heavy hauling.

A Hugh Hawthorne bulldozer clears Richard Petty land for Victory Junction Gang Camp

Any maintenance needs for the equipment are met by field service mechanics out of the James River store just up the road in Greensboro.

This has been one of the greatest experiences, Hawthorne said of the contributions by James River Equipment. He spoke in May during a lull in his site preparation work. I couldnt ask for anybody to do more than he [Romer] has done. And cost has never been mentioned in any way.

By late April, the two volunteers had cleared and burned about 8 acres (3.2 ha) in the area where a lake will be formed and were awaiting a permit for the dam. They had cleared the path of the main roadway into the camp and completed some other preliminary work.

Just how much dirt will be moved is unclear, but Hawthorne projects it will be a minimum of 100,000 cu. yds. (76,455 cu m). As much as 20 ft. (6 m) of earth must be scraped away in places to get the site to grade.

This is partly because of the camps special needs. Unlike some gently rolling properties that contractors try to work around and preserve, the footprint of much of this site must be pretty level.

Greg Shaw, senior project manager for general contractor Shelco Inc., explained that the goal is to create a site that provides convenient accessibility for every child who comes to camp.

Were going to try to obtain a grade that meets ADA [Americans with Disabilities Act] requirements, he said. Backdrop hillsides will still be rolling, but any parts of the camp to be explored by one child will be accessible to all.

As plans for the NASCAR-themed camp were being drawn in truth, noted Hawthorne, They are drawing plans as we go along. Richard Petty mused aloud about really giving it a racing flavor.

It would be nice if we could get a race track in this camp, Hawthorne remembered Petty saying. So be it. Hawthorne already has roughly cleared an area for a simulated track, which will be about a .5 mi. (.8 km) around.

Grading for it isnt complete because Hawthorne ran into rock on turns 3 and 4, he said, with a hint of frustration.

The race track ultimately will be the focus of 36 camp buildings. The placement of each structure will be determined in relation to the extended oval.

Race track-themed buildings will include a medical center, theater, gym, spiritual center, dining hall, library and numerous cabins, as well as horse and boating facilities.

Will there be race cars? Yes, said Brian Collier, executive director of the camp. The cars will be designed to be loud, but not fast.

Collier added that the board overseeing development wants a safe camp with maximum access for the estimated 230,000 children in the Carolinas and Virginia who are seriously ill and can benefit from it.

Working with architect Little & Associates in Charlotte, the board is incorporating access into its very design, Collier said. Were trying to exceed ADA guidelines.

The Hole in the Wall Gang organization provides seed money after a formal assessment shows that a camp will meet real needs. The North Carolina camp has a $25-million price tag, of which about a quarter has been raised, Collier explained.

Victory Junction will be the fifth of the affiliated camps in the United States and, of course, the only one with a racing theme. The connection with racing is more than novelty.

Richard [Petty] is in my office just about every day, said Collier. The family is extremely involved in the camp. Kyle, of course, has other obligations in terms of racing.

Besides the Pettys, the 12-person board of directors includes Hawthorne, who raced stock cars for four years beginning in 1959, and Rick Hendrick, who sponsors a NASCAR racing team.

The influence of Romer of James River Equipment does not end with the donated use of his machinery. In early April, he sponsored a tour of approximately 150 contractors of a John Deere and Hitachi excavator manufacturing plant in Kernersville, NC, near Greensboro.

Romer decided to guide the tour over to the Victory Junction site as well, giving contractors the chance to meet the Pettys and to become acquainted with the project.

It was an amazing thing, he said weeks later. All were very impressed. More than 20 of the contractors offered to donate their time to the project. Some sent money.

Hawthorne added that he received personal pledges of commitment from some heavy hitters in the industry. Two-thirds of the contractors who visited told me, If you can use some help, you call me.

Also volunteering services and products is a major home improvement store, a regional seed dealer, a fuel oil company and a Richmond trucking company, Southern Transport.

The project is a sensitive one and the senior manager of it is being careful about who is selected to work. We want subs who have some compassion, concern, a feel for this project, said Shaw, the Shelco project manager. This job is a little different. The bottom line is who its for. If we have a passion for it now, in the beginning, that will reflect on how we do. Shaw added that Shelco considers it a privilege to be working on this.

Shelco is a Charlotte company founded in 1978 in Winston-Salem, with 2001 revenues totalling approximately $305 million. It operates in the Carolinas, Virginia and Georgia.

Shaw said he has been told the site will be ready for his subcontractors in August. If that schedule is met, the camp is expected to be completed in April 2004 with the first campers arriving the following June.

Victory Junction will offer summer sessions for up to 125 children at once, all with the same illness, which could range from arthritis to heart disease to sickle cell anemia. The camp also will offer family weekend retreats and special retreats for children with severe illnesses or handicaps, such as spina bifida.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/20/20 03:43:46PM
Cody Dinsmore
@cody-dinsmore
12 years ago
589 posts

Good Article!

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

Did she just say What I think she said?? What did I do to deserve that??? Anyhow

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Billy.

That car looks unbelievable walking into Hugh's den... at least it did back in the 80s/90s.

It is an amazing, unexpected sight to see inside someone's home!

Billy, I appreciate your verification.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
12 years ago
4,073 posts

Great stuff Dave. I've heard of Hawthorne and knew he was friends with RP. But I've never really been sure of the origins of their friendship other than the Richmond connection. I guess his partnership with Sawyer at Richmond - and RP's frequent wins there sparked a friendship beyond just a promoter-driver relationship.

As I understand it, the staff from Petty's Garage made a trip or two to Hugh's place to look closely at his Bird to give them a better idea of how to restore the #40 Superbird driven by Pete Hamilton to his win in the 1970 Daytona 500.

Also, speaking of Charlie Luck - I learned after my trip to Frank & Larry's restaurant in Level Cross back in May that "Larry" is Larry Luck. With such a small community, I figure he may be Charlie's dad or uncle.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Interesting, Chase. I know that Charlie's dad (Charles III) is Chairman of Luck Stone and Charlie (Charles IV) is President. However, Charlie lived with the Petty family when he raced LMS/Busch Series. Wonder if that is because of a connection to the Level Cross restaurant owner, Larry Luck?

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Charles S. "Charlie" Luck IV starts Luck Racing, building and racing cars on the NASCAR circuit. Luck Quarries Inc. changes name to Luck Stone Corporation.

Charlie trades in his racing helmet for a Luck Stone hard hat and enters a company-wide training program

Charlie Luck is named president and chief operating officer. After 30 years as president, Charles Luck III becomes chairman of the board

Charlie Luck, IV is named president and CEO, and Charles Luck, III remains chairman of the board

Charlie Luck, husband of Lisa Petty Luck at Martinsville in 1983 as posted by Hondo on Fotki.

--