Harold Smith

Kerry Viar
@kerry-viar
14 years ago
4 posts
Harold fell off of a ladder getting off his roof last Friday. Dislocated his shoulder ( surgery pending)and cracked his pelvis. He's in the V.A. in Salem, Va. for approx. 6 weeks. Building #143, Floor 4J, Room 137.
updated by @kerry-viar: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Posted by Mike Sykes on the blog earlier:I was notified Sunday that Harold Smith the veteran mechanic that has been in racing for 50 years has taken a bad fall. At 77 years young he was trying to do a 25 year old mans job preparing to put a new roof on his home when the ladder came out from under him and he fell and hit the oil drum and then the ground. He has many injuries that will lay him up in the hospital for at least six weeks. Harold has been working on modified race cars almost as many years as I am old.He helped put many race cars in victory lane through the years with such drivers as, Perk Brown, Ray Hendricks, Bobby Allison, Carl Burris,Monk Tate, any many others. More recently he has been building cars to race and to show.He has been involved with the Old Timers Racing Club for at least 17 years and has been a faithful supporter of the club and its medical/hardship fund. So lets all send him a card to help cheer him up from his injuries and during his recovery. His wife has already said he is trying to figure a way to get a cell phone smuggled in.Harold Smith81 Sunvalley DriveBassett, Va. 24055His injuries are broken sholder,broken ribs, broken pelvis, and many bumps and bruises. These are some tough injuries for a young person so lets let Harold know how much we care by supporting him with get well wishesHe is in the V.A. Hospital in Roanoke Va. I think room 147 j on the 4th floor. I am going to let the pain subside a little before I visit because I know how tough he can be. I feel sorry for his nurses more than him. Maybe we ought to send the Old Timers Race Clubs nurse from hell to take care of him (aka) Karen Biscoe...Comment by Billy Biscoe (arustyracer) on January 19, 2010 at 4:27pmHey Mike:For as short as legs as he has, I'd like to see the ladder.Ouch, I'm sure he's hurting and will gladly send him my get well wishes. But rest assured I'll never let him forget just how OLD he really is.Maybe I need to sneak off up there and get him out of that hospital? ? ? Which one is it ? ? ? ?BB.Comment by Jeff Gilder on January 19, 2010 at 11:03amThanks, Mike. We'll get a card out to him.Comment by Tim Leeming on January 19, 2010 at 8:28amThanks for the heads up Mike. Will get a card in the mail.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Posted to my by page by Kerry ViarAt 12:02pm on January 30, 2010, Kerry Viar saidJeff,I put it on the messages but wondered if you could put up something about Harold Smith being in the V.A. in Salem Va. building #143, floor 7J rm.137. He fell off a ladder 2 weeks ago and busted his pelvis and shoulder. I;m sure he'd love any card or visits. Salem is a ways from his house in Bassett. I was there the other day getting ready to leave when in walked Paul Radford,so I just stayed another couple hours talking old drivers and tracks! Kerry Via

--
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
14 years ago
1,783 posts
Hey guys, I just noticed the hospital room info is different in all these posts...could anyone verify and repost?Thanks

--
Kerry Viar
@kerry-viar
14 years ago
4 posts
It's rm.137. Been there about 6 times. Kerry Viar Jeff Gilder said:
Hey guys, I just noticed the hospital room info is different in all these posts...could anyone verify and repost?
Thanks
Kerry Viar
@kerry-viar
14 years ago
4 posts
Harold's been moved to a rehab room, in building #2 flr.#2. Don't remember the room number. I'll get it though. Surgery on the 8th.. Bobby Allison called him last night! Kerry Viar said:
It's rm.137. Been there about 6 times. Kerry Viar

Jeff Gilder said:
Hey guys, I just noticed the hospital room info is different in all these posts...could anyone verify and repost?
Thanks
Randy Smith
@randy-smith
14 years ago
1 posts
The room Number is 255. Building 2, 2nd floor. The telephone Number for anyone wanting to call him is.540-982-2463 ext # 3103. Thanks, Randy Smith Kerry Viar said:
Harold's been moved to a rehab room, in building #2 flr.#2. Don't remember the room number. I'll get it though. Surgery on the 8th.. Bobby Allison called him last night!

Kerry Viar said:
It's rm.137. Been there about 6 times. Kerry Viar

Jeff Gilder said:
Thanks