Glenn Guthrie ('57 Langhorne Open Winner / '59 Modified Natl Champ)

kgordon
@kgordon
6 years ago
3 posts

Hello RacersReunion Community.

I am posting this in the hope that some of you may be able to share some photos of my Grandfather, Glenn Guthrie, who raced Modifieds & Late Models predominantly in the Mid-Atlantic area in the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's. He also raced multiple times on Daytona Beach in the 1950's, then on the Speedway until a horrific crash there in 1970 ended his superspeedway career.

A couple of highlights in his racing career were winning the 1957 Langhorne National Open and the 1959 Modified National Championship.

As a family, we have quite a bit of newspaper clippings, but do not have as many photos as we like. It would be great if any of you may have some to share, or could perhaps point me in the direction of others who might be able to do so. I have already received some from Joe at 3 Wide's, Larry Jendras, Jr., PattyKay Lilley and Chase (thank you again), and have seen the few that are posted on the site.

On a related note, even if you do not have a photo to share, if you have a memory, it would be great to hear. Unfortunately, my Grandfather passed away at a young age, and I did not have the opportunity to chat with him in detail about the good 'ol days...

Thank you in advance.

Kevin

updated by @kgordon: 01/27/23 01:40:38PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
6 years ago
9,137 posts

I recall seeing your grandfather race in Virginia & Maryland. Good luck with the photo search.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
6 years ago
560 posts

There some race photos and race history on Glenn Guthrie on the Maryland Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame website.

Email them you get somemore race photos and race information on Glenn Guthrie.

http://www.mdscrhof.org/home.html

updated by @dennis-garrett: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
kgordon
@kgordon
5 years ago
3 posts

[quote="Dave Fulton"]

I recall seeing your grandfather race in Virginia & Maryland. Good luck with the photo search.

[/quote]

Thank you, Dave.

kgordon
@kgordon
5 years ago
3 posts

There some race photos and race history on Glenn Guthrie on the Maryland Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame website.

Email them you get somemore race photos and race information on Glenn Guthrie.

http://www.mdscrhof.org/home.html

Thank you, Dennis, for the suggestion. I actually reached out to the MD Hall of Fame prior to posting here; I received a response that they would try to find any other photos that they might happen to have accumulated over the years.

bILL sAMMY sTELLWAGEN
@bill-sammy-stellwagen
3 years ago
2 posts

Hi K Gordon. I was doing some research on your Grandfather's career and saw your post from 3 years ago. I have an 'artifact' with his name on it-- kind of rare Air Lift pit board, in pretty shabby condition. Please message me on this site or e-mail me at bstellwa@optonline.net. I'm not looking for a whole lot of money for this pit board, but I've never seen an original Air Lift board for sale on e-bay. Heck, the shipping charge would be more than I could sell it for!  Hope to hear from you. 

bILL sAMMY sTELLWAGEN
@bill-sammy-stellwagen
3 years ago
2 posts

[quote="kgordon"]

Hello RacersReunion Community.

I am posting this in the hope that some of you may be able to share some photos of my Grandfather, Glenn Guthrie, who raced Modifieds & Late Models predominantly in the Mid-Atlantic area in the 1950's, 1960's & 1970's. He also raced multiple times on Daytona Beach in the 1950's, then on the Speedway until a horrific crash there in 1970 ended his superspeedway career.

A couple of highlights in his racing career were winning the 1957 Langhorne National Open and the 1959 Modified National Championship.

As a family, we have quite a bit of newspaper clippings, but do not have as many photos as we like. It would be great if any of you may have some to share, or could perhaps point me in the direction of others who might be able to do so. I have already received some from Joe at 3 Wide's, Larry Jendras, Jr., PattyKay Lilley and Chase (thank you again), and have seen the few that are posted on the site.

On a related note, even if you do not have a photo to share, if you have a memory, it would be great to hear. Unfortunately, my Grandfather passed away at a young age, and I did not have the opportunity to chat with him in detail about the good 'ol days...

Thank you in advance.

Kevin

[/quote]Kevin, please message me as I have an interesting artifact with your Grandfather's name on it.Thanks