Okay ya'll - I need some help here....

Santus Gore
@santus-gore
12 years ago
10 posts

I know that we're only supposed to post photo's from bygone years here, but I need some help, so I hope Jeff will indulge me just this one time....

I recently aquired this late model chassis, and I'm trying to figure out who built this thing so I can find the proper rear suspension pieces for it. This thing was a display car, and even though it has a solid axle under the back end it has all the pick-up points and shock mounts in place. Since I got a Frankland quick change with the chassis as part of the deal I intend to mount that up when I get it rebuilt. Any help y'all can give me concerning the chassis or mounting the Q/C would be greatly appreciated.

updated by @santus-gore: 09/01/18 07:42:24PM
S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
12 years ago
514 posts

I agree with BB about it looks like a Howe Chassis. I did notice the HRE hubs which could be Hedgecock. I sent an email to Jay to see if he can help id the chassis.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
12 years ago
3,259 posts

That rear end is very unique, its a real floater for sure.

And yes it is or at least in part a Howe chassis by what ive had dealings with.

Santus Gore
@santus-gore
12 years ago
10 posts

Thanks for the inputeveryone. I put a call in to Howe today and I'm going to send the pics to one of the guys there. Would be nice if this WAS a Howe chassis - that would mean I could get the setup sheets too. I did notice that this car has what looks like a Howe steering quickener mounted in it, sowe may be on the right track here. We're going to run Nashville Fairgrounds tomorrow - wish us luck !!

paul crawford
@paul-crawford
12 years ago
64 posts

looks like howe upper a arms and the chrysler cam bolt set up for upper a arms howe used..sooo-im jumping on the howe bandwagon also ( them cambolts were a pain to work with )

Santus Gore
@santus-gore
12 years ago
10 posts

A quick update on the late model chassis....

The guys at Howe finally got back to me and said that this DEFINATELY ain't one of theirs, even though after a ton of research it looks an awful lot like their setup. Could be a homebuilt - doesn't look it though.I'm still looking it over to see if I can find a number somewhere.

Someone definately had some different ideas concerning the steering. Seems someone mounted up an Eaton hydraulically assisted steering quickner on this thing - one like you would find on an earth mover or huge Terex dump truck. Wonder if they were going to try to use that for the power steering instead of the Sweet rack....seems a little odd. I still don't know if the rack is any good - can't tell if the ports are sealed off in it or not - will have to wait until I get the chassis torn down this winter to see.

I want to thank all of you for your input - I'll keep you posted on how the project progresses....