The Los Angeles Times 500 Ontario Motor Speedway - November 20, 1977

Scott Baker
@scott-baker
11 years ago
69 posts

36 years ago, Neil Bonnett wins in the Jim Stacy No. 5 Dodge over Richard Petty in a close finish with Cale Yarborough in 3rd and Buddy Baker in 4th - the only cars to finish on the lead lap.

This was my first race with a camera and I didn't take many shots, and the ones I did take aren't very good. The camera I used was borrowed (from my boss at the time) and I spent more time trying not to drop the thing than figuring out how to use it. It was an expensive Minolta for that time. I did find my photo prints for this race but can't locate the negativeswhich Ineed toreproduce a better result. When I do find the negs, I'll scan them and update this post.

The Winner, coming to the checker:

Program Cover:

Entry List (Lots of West Coast Drivers)

Starting Lineup:

updated by @scott-baker: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

No, you didn't just do that. No, you just didn't say this was your 1st race w/a camera. Because if you did, it was actually 2x the years removed from my oldest kid's age. Haha. AND it was about 7 months or so removed from my 1st Cup race - though I did attend many late model races at Nashville Speedway between 1974 and 1978.

Ontario qualifying report from Ocala Star-Banner

Race report from Reading Eagle .

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/31/17 09:07:30PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Scott, I think the photo looks just fine, especially for a first timer. Thanks for the post.

And, Chase... you're either up way too early or way too late, lol.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

A week later, Bonnett finished 2nd in his #5 Stacy Dodge in the inaugural Winston West race at Phoenix to "teammate" Cale Yarborough. He raced a #6 Stacy Charger. I've searched unsuccessfully for a photo of the car. I assume it matched Neil's car except for the number. Cale and Neil were the only two cars to finish on the lead lap.

--
Scott Baker
@scott-baker
11 years ago
69 posts

TMC Chase:

I was 4 years old at the time................

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

A photo of Neil capturing the win - posted by RR member Richard Guido on his blog here:

http://rlguido.blogspot.com/2010/01/look-back.html

And a great photo of Neil in victory lane with daughter Kristen. Plus owner J.D. Stacy with his victory cigar. Source:  Ed Hinton article on ESPN.com

--

updated by @tmc-chase: 01/31/17 09:07:54PM
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Ha ha. Riiiiiiight.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

A video from this summer giving some contemporary context of where Ontario USED to be.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Condensed version of the race in 3 video clips.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

We often used to land at the Ontario airport for the Riverside races in the 80s rather than LAX because we could get better flights back in the day. You'd drive right by the abandonned front stands heading to Riverside from Onrtario. Eerie.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

Here is a pic of a patch from this race. This race was the first super speedway race I ever attended. I wore the patch as a good luck piece on 4 different uniforms until this year. The second pic shows the patch from a few years ago from inside my old # 98 1937 Plymouth modified. The car is now in Texas and is back with the son of the original builder from 1968 at Wall Stadium in N.J.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

SoCalBump

--