William "Big Willie" Lewis from Wilmington, NC

Barley F Phillips
@barley-f-phillips
8 years ago
1 posts

My name is Barley Bart Phillips. My father, William Lewis, a.k.a. Big Willie, was a local legend in our hometown of Wilmington, NC, and raced on tracks from Conway and Lakeview, SC to Fayetteville, Leland, and Pender County Speedway, circa 1970- 1986. I have been trying to connect with folks from the past who might have photos of Big Willie in action, or just some words of familiarity, as he has passed, and we want his racing legacy to live on.

My father was also locally known for being a local builder in Wilmington, having brought a family building business to Wilmington from Little River, SC - called Strand Construction. Willie was raised in Little River, along with his brother, Eddie Lewis, a builder and developer who most in Wilmington knew as well, most importantly for his development of the Beau Rivage Golf Community. Both Eddie and my father have now passed, and our family wants as many people as possible to have memories shared and chronicled on the web. No doubt Willie and Eddie are having way too much fun in heavens arms, racing whatever they can get their hands on!

Please let me know if you know of any documentation on this world wide web which might lead us to others who know my father, and are real race fans from days gone by.

Thank to you all from our family.

updated by @barley-f-phillips: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
DavidHudson2
@davidhudson2
3 years ago
1 posts

Wasnt he located by what was once called Hugh McCrae park on South college rd?