Reference Photo or information

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Looking for a reference photo or information on the Jeff Gordon 2004 Always in our hearts black hood car that he ran in Atlanta at the Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500...trying to find out what the decal is on the rear deck (trunk) lid looking up...not the space between the rear tail light section looking back but the trunk lid facing up...any help would be greatly appreciated. 

updated by @randy-engle: 01/31/20 05:09:14PM
Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

Getting rid of what was here since I agree it was obviously wrong.

updated by @brad-doerr: 01/22/20 11:52:35AM
Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Thanks for the pic's but this build is not accurate to the degree of being like the actual car Jeff drove in Atlanta in 2004 with the black hood version...I have done enough research of my own to know this to be a fact. 

Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

The race is on YouTube.

Is it possible his deck lid was actually blank?  The first time that I noticed them showing the car on screen is in the pic here

aioh.PNG
aioh.PNG  •  901KB

Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

They track mostly Gordon from about 39:30 for a couple minutes.  You can see the deck lid pretty well a few times and there isn't one shot of it that looks like it is anything but plain blue.

1:03ish during the caution they show it again.  There's something there but not readable at that time.

1:55ish he's in the garage area.  AS the camera man catches the car you can see a colored DuPont logo on the decklid and maybe it says Real Life Science?  Still not as good of a shot as I'm sure you need.

updated by @brad-doerr: 01/22/20 12:12:11PM
Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

I have a pic that shows the rear deck lid during him driving to the garage area during the race that I saw on Youtube...you can clearly see something on the rear deck lid because I stopped the video and shot a picture of it and magnified it on the computer...to me it looks like the letter R in a sentence at the start and a color image of a decal above the R...I will attempt to post this pic for all but I'm not real familiar with how all of this works.

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg  •  84KB

thumbnail.jpg
thumbnail.jpg  •  84KB

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Here is another pic of the rear deck lid...not very good but it's enough to tell something is on it that appears to be a decal that is in color with some wording below the decal.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Thought it might have been the Pepsi Cola made with real sugar logo but the more I study it I don't think so.

41RhXhNJ8ZL.jpg
41RhXhNJ8ZL.jpg  •  26KB

Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

I really think it is a colorized DuPont logo.  Which is odd because it was usually filled in blue on Jeff's decklids but that one is filled in red.  I agree that the wording underneath starts with an R from what you can see in the video and that's where by guess of it saying Real Life Science comes in.  I tried to find any pics of a Jeff Gordon decklid from any race that had the same appearance and failed.  I tried searching for Dupont Real Life Science to see if there was anything that may have documented them using that slogan with the font used and failed.  I tried looking for galleries people posted of that Atlanta race.  I found some galleries on Flickr and Motorsport.com but none showed Jeff's trunk lid.

This is one of the hardest things I've ever attempted to find.  The only other thing I can recall trying to find to recreate for a replica that was this hard was this Ford Climate Control Division decal that was on the TA Mustangs in the 90s.  I failed to find it on the internet and had to look at TK's car in the Roush Collection to take a pic of it myself.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Thanks for the help...I have ordered this race on DVD from a source but have not got it yet, I am hopeful of getting a good look at what it might be from watching the DVD of the race...I have also inquired about maybe the official program of that particular race (Bass Pro Shops MBNA 500 2004)  may have a photo of the entries of the drivers and the car itself paint schemes for that race.  

Mark Johnson
@mark-johnson
4 years ago
8 posts

What ever it is . the diecast makers of this car got it wrong. Looks like maybe a dupont logo in red to the left top of trunk  and below it says Real something. can make out the something.. just too grainey.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

I had someone also say they thought it might be a red Dupont logo and thought it might say Real life science below the logo...did some research on it and did not come up with any help...I have a DVD I ordered of that race so maybe I will come up with something on that.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

I came up with the possibility that the wording might be Real Tooling on the rear deck lid with the red Dupont logo above it...did some research and saw that Dupont is apparently in the tool business also...if you look at the image it looks like the word tool or tooling could be after the word Real...if that is the word Real. 

Mark Johnson
@mark-johnson
4 years ago
8 posts

It definitely looks like the word real to me. And the second word looks like it starts with a t and an o.

Mark Johnson
@mark-johnson
4 years ago
8 posts

I think I found it. I'm pretty sure its Dupont Real Touch Elite laminate flooring. The Dupont logo is red and the lettering is white on the blue trunk.

dupontrealtouch.jpg
dupontrealtouch.jpg  •  23KB

Mark Johnson
@mark-johnson
4 years ago
8 posts

I tried to play with it with a paint program but im not very good at it. I doubt if anyone has ever made this decal. so if you can get it done it will be a one of a kind deal.

Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

I found an 07 car that had real touch on the panel between the taillights.  So, they did promote real touch with his cars anyway.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Yes I found probably that same 2007 photo...Real Touch Flooring between the taillights...Jeff is waving the #3 flag so I think it is when he won the race that either tied Dale Earnhardt Sr. win record or broke it.

updated by @randy-engle: 02/02/20 02:59:34PM
Brad Doerr
@brad-doerr
4 years ago
7 posts

What I've really learned from this that if I'm ever in a position where I'm working with a NASCAR team to sponsor them there's no way I'm paying much to get the company name on the trunk, LOL.

Mark Johnson
@mark-johnson
4 years ago
8 posts

Its Real Touch Elite laminate flooring. And Randy, your welcome.

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Mark

Do you think it is Real Touch Elite laminate flooring or Real Touch Flooring as in the 2007 car decal between the tail lights...if it is the decal with the writing of the word Elite I am guessing the top line would be Real Touch Elite and the line below that would be laminate flooring...I'm thinking maybe it's the same as the 2007 decal...Real Touch on the top line and flooring below...what do you think? 

Randy Engle
@randy-engle
4 years ago
11 posts

Came up with another possibility of the decal above the R in Real...might possibly be the Delphi logo...looks a lot like the red Dupont oval decal...they are both red and oval in shape...jeff is associated with Delphi and he has the logo on his uniform and also his cars from 2004...still think it's the red Dupont though because Dupont has Real Touch Flooring as one of the many brands they carry and you usually see the logo with there many brands.