Does anyone knows who gets the DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962? Driver? Car owner? Mechanic?

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

Please forgive me, I no way want to get anybody mad or hurt anybody's feelings by asking these questions??

Didn't Larry Frank win any other trophies on Sept. 3,1962 besides the big tall "Southern 500" trophy?
Does anyone knows who gets the DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962? Driver? Car owner? Mechanic?

Photo # 1 DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962
How about the "DIXIE CUP TROPHY"; on front brass plate it has inscribed "DIXIE CUP, DIvISION OF AMERICAN CAN CO., DARLINGTON SOUTH CAROLINA".
Half way down the trophy is crossed rebel flag and checkered flag.

Photo # 2 DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962
At top of trophy is racecar steering wheel between big "V" symbol.
In the middle of paper plate shaped trophy has "SOUTHERN 500" with 10 small brass race winner's name plates on it.

Photo # 3 DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962

Sometimes you see old Sept. 3,1962 "Southern 500" victory lane photos of the Junior Johnson being surrounded by 4 or 5 trophies and being kissed by beauty queens.LOL

Because of NASCAR Scoring Mistake Sept. 3,1962 "Southern 500" winner Larry Frank didn't get the Victory Lane photo shots, didn't get beauty queen kisses and might had been short change in trophies department??
Thank you very much for any information given.

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA

updated by @dennis-garrett: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I remember the Dixie Cup plant in Darlington. "Save your Dixie Cups, the South will rise again," used to be a popular saying!

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

This link will take you to story announcing the Dixie Cup Trophy in 1962:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2506&dat=19620731&id=SWNJAAAAIBAJ&sjid=egoNAAAAIBAJ&pg=3835,5331779

--
Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Lord..have mercy...you are as the Reverend would say, a PURE-T mess!! I remember that, but had forgotten it...LOL

Patsy Thompkins ~ Keisler
@patsy-thompkins-keisler
12 years ago
559 posts

Dennis, I'll have Chrissy and Tiger Tom come take a look at these, they might know the answer....

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Patsy, the story link I posted above states the trophy originated in 1962 and was to be kept at the Dixie Cup Office in Darlington. A smaller replica was to be presented the Southern 500 winner, again beginning in 1962.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2506&dat=19620731&id=...

--
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts

Hi Dennis Larry got the 1962 Darlington Trophy its on display now thank you tiger

Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Dennis you are correct there is another TrophyThe Dixie he won too.Your friend Tiger
Tiger Tom Pistone
@tiger-tom-pistone
12 years ago
93 posts
Yep Dave I have it
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
12 years ago
560 posts

Dave, Thanks for Photos # 4. & # 5. Newspaper Article about the DIXIE CUP TROPHY Sept. 3,1962

Tiger, Thanks for Photo # 6 DIXIE CUP Sept.3,1962 LARRY FRANK Small DIXIE CUP Winner Replica trophy (given to Southern 500 winning driver LARRY FRANK)
Height of Small DIXIE CUP Winner Replica trophy?
About 1 Ft. height?
Notice the single name plate didn't have Southern 500 winning driver LARRY FRANK's name or Date inscribe on it.

Photo # 7. Darlington Raceway President Bob Colvin, winner Larry Frank getting trophies day later Sept. 4,1962
This photo has both regular size trophies, Dixie Cup Trophy on the right is about 2 Feet Tall. This trophy was used for Victory Lane photo shots with winning driver holding it and beauty queens smiling / kissing winning driver. This trophy stays at Dixie Cup / American Can Co., home office in Darlington, SC.

Wonder what happen to the regular 2 ft. tall size Dixie Cup Trophy?
Thanks very much for any information given.

Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va.USA