Need pic from 1979 National 500

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

I've put feelers out in various places and at various times on RR for a pic I'm trying to find.

In the 1979 NAPA National 500 at Charlotte, Henley Gray fielded a #19 Chevy sponsored by Natural Light beer. From what I've been able to research, the race was the second of only two times Natty Light has sponsored a Cup car. (The other time was the 79 World 600 with Glenn Jarrett. After months of searching, I FINALLY found a pic of Jarrett's car yesterday on ebay of all places.)

Cecil Gordon raced Gray's car to a 32nd place finish at Charlotte. The car only lasted about half the race before Cecil retired it with a bum clutch. That much I knew before last night. But in crawling through old newspapers, I learned Lennie Pond may actually have qualified the car 22nd. Pond ran a few races for Henley down the stretch of the 79 season so that makes a bit of sense to me. But I don't yet know why Cecil took over the wheel in the race vs. Lennie.

Bottom line, anyone have pics of this car from qualifying, testing, or the race?

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts
TMC, don't have any pics, but I went to that race...big E won, best I recalll. Awesome pre-race air show.
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
11 years ago
4,073 posts

Thanks Perry. My pulse quickened for a moment. Yep, Cale took the checkers. DW and the King were both in top 5 as their championship battle intensified. Alas, the Natty Light Special still eludes me... :-)

The pic is out there though. I just KNOW it is. Like Ahab and his great white whale, I continue my pursuit.

--
David Bailey
@david-bailey
5 years ago
1 posts

A screencap good enough?  This when Gordon exited and Jarrett entered.

79-19cg-char.jpg
79-19cg-char.jpg  •  194KB

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
5 years ago
4,073 posts

Cool! Thanks David. Turns out it wasn't all that special of a scheme - just Henley's Petty blue and yellow scheme used often. The scheme was borrowed from Woody Fisher when he was supposed to drive for Henley. Deal never happened, but Henley's car had already been painted. And then he used the colors from tha point forward.

--