Thrown Under the Bus? That's Mark Martin, Ivan Baldwin, Bob Fox, Derrike Cope, Ron Eaton and More - "Ivan the Terrible" Made Bill Elliott a Short Track Winner

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

We've talked on our forum about school buses used for haulers, but I just found a pretty neat little video of race drivers being introduced in driver intros stepping off a bus at the start/finish line.

The year is 1985. The place is the beautiful Shasta Speedway in northern California in the shadow of Mt. Shasta and near the gorgeous Lake Shasta.

The event is the 1985 Laura Robinson NorCal 150 NASCAR Northwest Tour Series event.

You'll see some drivers who are no longer with us. You'll see drivers such as Ivan Baldwin who came east and made great names doing other things.

For William Horrell, Bob Fox is the brother of Teenie Fox who you worked with. Mark Martin and Derrike Cope still looked very young. The incomparable Ron Eaton was as tough as they came. Bill Schmitt was one of the most gracious drivers I ever met.

I know many of our members think all the great racing took place in the southeast, but believe me, you'd pay good money to have seen this northwest field of drivers race.

Here's the complete list being introed:

Drivers in this race are:

1 - Roger Gannon
4 - Derrike Cope
4E - Dennis Shaha
4x - Ron Eaton
5 - Darrell Krentz
7 - Chris Newmeyer
9x - Ivan Baldwin
15 - Jerry Ayers
17 - Randy Olson
21 - Don Harper
23 - Vic Blanc
48 - Jim Walker
64 - Garrett Evans
66 - Mark Martin
70 - Darryl Gardner
72 - Randy Laskowsky
73 - Bill Schmitt
84 - Mike Chase
84 - Mark Baldwin
85 - Jeff Rogers
90 - Bob Fox
98 - Blair Aiken
98K - Hank Hilton

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

Great clip Dave, thanks! Good to see Ivan Baldwin again also...In 1977 my racing ''partner'' at the time and myself had ''Ivan the Terrible'' build us a Nova short track car...We traveled from Wilmington, N.C. to Ceres, Ca. (just outside of Modesto)_ to pick the car up...We traveled in a 1965 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup and a homemade trailer...Left on a Friday night around midnight and was back in Wilmington 7 days later with the car (young and dumb and did not know it couldn't be done at that time)...IWILL NEVER FORGET THAT ''GOD AWFUL'' RIDE,AS IT WAS A ROUGH ONE!

Thing is, even as memorable as that ride was, meeting and spending a little time with Ivan Baldwin was a whole different adventure in itself...That guy was WFO and what I saw at at time as just a ''little left of center'''..He was fun I must admit, but he could be abrasive as 80 grit sandpaper if you crossed him just a smidgeon...Baldwin was HARDCORE and was probably the most self confident person that I personally ever met this side of Dale Sr...I have met some confident people but none to match these two...I loved them both. Thanks again Dave, you are great!

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

What a wonderful story about Ivan building the car for you. Unbelievable 7 day coast to coast roundtrip - with half of it towing a race car!

From Hoss Ellington in Wilmington to Ivan the Terrible in California, you have worked around some real characters in the annals of stock car racing.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I wonder how many of our members - like Georgia racing historian, Cody Dinsmore, realize it was Ivan Baldwin who is given credit for making Bill Elliott a short track winner and making "coil over" a suspension of choice?

Here's a YouTube tribute to Ivan, who passed in 1996, (posted by draginjim) as well as a synopsis of his career by the poster following the video.

IVAN BALDWIN CAREER SYNOPSIS / POSTHUMOUS TRIBUTE

Ivan Baldwin, started his racing career in 1966 with little fanfare, other than being suspended for the '67 season after a dispute with an official.

In '68 he was back, winning for the first time on September 29th at Orange Show Speedway. By the early 70's he'd won many Southern California races, and points championships five times at three tracks in '73 and '74, driving cars that he had built. You see, not only could Ivan Baldwin drive a race car ,he was a master mechanic as well.

By the end of '74 Ivan and his friend and confidant, Gary Nelson, had caught the eye of Winston West regular Jack McCoy and soon joined the growing McCoy Racing Products team, operating the West car and others. In 1976 Ivan won 28 of 44 races entered, including two Riverside races and the International Driver's Championship in the Pacific Northwest.

Ivan, along with Carrera shock maker Dick Anderson, pioneered the coil-over suspension design and, with Gary Nelson's vital role in development, produced what would become the standard for late model cars of the future.

In late'76 , after receiving offers to join the new DiGard team for whom Darrell Waltrip was driving, Nelson decided to head South. Gary won with Ivan for the last time at Riverside in January of '77, and left for Daytona.

This split became a turning point for Ivan as well. He left the successful McCoy operation and opened his own shop with his friend Arley Cook.

He worked with Kenny Boyd in 1980, and they won 22 feature events together. Then in '82 and '83 he worked with Tim Gillett, and in '84 they won the Stockton Speedway Championship.

Ivan won a Winston West championship as crew chief with the legendary Hershel McGriff in 1986, and then built a Thunderbird for Tony Oddo, and it ran well, winning a Winston West race at Stockton the first time out.

Shortly after that, when Bill Elliott needed a car for Riverside, a deal was struck, and Bill drove that T-Bird. Bill hot-lapped the car and was so impressed that a car, built by this obscure car builder that he had never heard of before, could run so well.

The following year, Baldwin sold his shop and moved east, joining Elliott. The story goes that he taught Elliott how to win on short tracks.

"Ivan the Terrible" as he was known to friends and adversaries alike, grew up on the short tracks of Southern California, but he is renowned thoughout the stock car racing world as one of the best chassis men of all time.

Let's welcome his long time friend Gary Nelson to present this well-deserved Award to Ivan's daughter Tammy .

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

and here's a good 1987 article about Ivan & Bill Elliott by the late Shav Glick in the Los Angeles Times:

Elliott May Have Edge in the Short Run With Addition of Baldwin

February 12, 1987|SHAV GLICK

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. When Bill Elliott collected a $1-million bonus in 1985 for winning superspeedway races at Daytona, Talladega and Darlington, he said, "Even if I win six million, I'll still do all the chassis work on my cars myself."

Last Nov. 15, he drove a Grand American car at Riverside that had been built and prepared by Ivan Baldwin of Modesto.

Less than a month later, Elliott hired Baldwin to do the chassis work on the Ford Thunderbirds he will drive on the Winston Cup circuit.

Last Monday, Elliott won the pole for Sunday's Daytona 500 with a remarkable qualifying speed of 210.364 m.p.h. It was more than 5 m.p.h. faster than his own track record.

Today, he is expected to dominate his heat in the twin 125-mile races that will establish the 42-car starting grid for Sunday's race.

For all this, Elliott gives much of the credit to Baldwin, 40, once the scourge of Southern California short tracks.

"What makes this year special is that we have much better organization," Elliott said. "Having Ivan watching over the chassis work frees me for administration duties and working with our sponsors."

Baldwin, who has been a race car builder in Modesto for most of the last 11 years, has moved his family to Dawsonville, Ga., about 75 miles north of Atlanta.

Baldwin and his wife, Arlene, were raised in the San Bernardino area, and lived in Highland when Ivan was known as Pigpen and was winning races at Speedway 605 in Irwindale and the Orange Show Speedway in San Bernardino.

"We love it in Dawsonville," Baldwin said. "The first day we arrived we saw a house we liked and bought it the next day. The people, all 600 of them, are really friendly."

In Dawsonville, he will direct a crew of 12 on the six or so Thunderbirds that Elliott has ready for superspeedway, short track and road races.

"It's funny, how it happened," Baldwin said. "My wife and I were looking for something different to do. I was about fed up with building cars for guys who weren't taking racing seriously and I wanted to get out of that. Maybe out of racing altogether."

About that time, Butch Stevens, the jack man on Elliott's crew, called to ask if Elliott could rent Baldwin's Grand American Thunderbird to drive at Riverside the day before the Winston Western 500.

Stevens had worked for Baldwin a few years earlier in Modesto.

"I flew to Nashville and we put the deal together," Baldwin said. "It was the first time I'd really met Elliott."

In the race, Elliott appeared to have it won until the fuel pump broke.

"That was the best handling car I've ever been in," Elliott said after climbing out of the Thunderbird.

Shortly after that, Elliott called to ask Baldwin if he'd like to go to work for him.

"It took us four days to decide," Baldwin said. "I wouldn't have done it with any other team, but the Elliotts have the same professional approach to racing that I have.

"Most of the guys on the West Coast that I'd been working for treat racing as a hobby. I couldn't get any feedback from them, so every now and then I'd have to make a comeback and race myself to see how the new things were working."

Last year, after helping 58-year-old Hershel McGriff win the Winston West stock car championship, Baldwin went racing in the same T-Bird that Elliott drove at Riverside. In five races, he set fast time at all five, and won the Orange Show Stadium main event.

Jerry Baxter, who had worked with Baldwin the last six years, bought the car building business in Modesto and will also work with McGriff in defense of his championship.

"What helps me (in setting up chassis) is that I've driven so much, I can feel what the driver feels in the car," Baldwin said.

Before Baldwin moved to Modesto in 1975 to drive for Jack McCoy in the Winston West series, he had won the track championship at 605 for four straight years, and at the Orange Show Speedway once.

Baldwin's experience with setting up cars for short track races is expected to be a bonus for Elliott. Though one of the finest superspeedway and road course drivers on the NASCAR circuit, he has had his problems on short tracks. He has never won, for instance, at Bristol, Martinsville, North Wilkesboro or Richmond.

It was Elliott's inability to run well on the bullrings that allowed Darrell Waltrip to edge out of the 1985 Winston Cup championship, even though Elliott won a record 11 races and Waltrip won only 3.

"Ivan's experience on the short tracks out in California should make a big difference in our preparation," Elliott said.

--
William Horrell
@william-horrell
11 years ago
175 posts

Great articles Dave, very informative...They describe Ivan as the same as I viewed him, the best chassis guy I ever met bar none...I really think had Ivan been here on the East Coast for his entire racing career we might would be talking HOF for this guy also...I HONESTLY BELEIVE THAT DAVE..Anyone who ever drove one of his cars after driving someone else's would be inclined to agree to that.

We met him by chance in a round about way through another West Coaster, Duke Southard..

We knew after that initial chat that he was the man with the plan, and by God he did have one..

We took that West Coast car that no one elseknew from where it came, ran it here on the right coast with a rookie driver and started WINNING immediately...Driver was as raw as a carrot and was still able to win the majority of our divisional races....

We would call Ivan with feedback (which he lived for), he would say do this, do this, and then do this and call me next week...Of course the car would get better and better...Was well worth the expense and the long trip to acquire it...This was one more colorful character to which all the guys from this side of the country would have enjoyed...He reminded me of Jake Elder right off the bat and from day one when I spoke to him I would always see Jake FOR SOME STRANGE REASON. I knew that he had started doing Elliott's stuff when he did and was not in the least surprised to see Bill get a whole lot more productive on the short tracks...I expected it would turn out that way..No, I KNEW IT WOULD TURN OUT THAT WAY....

Again, I consider Ivan Baldwin to be the most rock solid and best chassis guy to whom I have ever had the pleasure of working with, taking to, running up on, reading about, or just plain hearing of period...

Thanks again Dave for the articles, It made me feel a little better today to reminisce about this fine racing pioneer and I could go on an on for awhile about this one...I will leave the Modesto Mexican restaurant story alone, but I will say that Ivan put a whole new spin on Guacamole...He could be a riot.