Hillsboro / Occoneechee / Richmond Question(s) 1965 Grand National Season

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

While looking to see if I could find any news articles to accompany Tim Leeming's Racing History Minute for today documenting Fireball Roberts' August 13, 1950 win at Occoneechee / Orange / Hillsboro, I stumbled across the article below in the September 16, 1965 Spartanburg newspaper:

Having been a Richmond resident and former employee of Paul Sawyer, I have several questions that I hope perhaps some member of the Historic Speedway Group, such as Frank Craig, LaVerne Zachary or Ed Sanseverino might be able to answer... or perhaps someone with an original 1965 NASCAR Grand National Schedule can provide part of the answer - or one of our sleuths like TMC-Chase or Ray Lamm who was probably there.

I never heard Paul Sawyer mention Occoneechee. Did he in fact ever promote a race there?

Richmond's September date traditionally came on Sunday following the Labor Day Monday Southern 500 at Darlington. In 1965, Richmond, which was promoted by Sawyer, didn't race until Saturday, September 18th... the day before the Occoneechee scheduled event mentioned in the Spartanburg paper.

Was Richmond rained out the previous Sunday? I was there but don't remember.

When Occoneechee ran its October 24, 1965 GN race, was it promoted by Sawyer?

Thanks to any who remember or can shed light on the circumstances.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Dave I haven't seen anything about Paul Sawyer promoting a race there.Frank would probably know. All I can do is give the page from that October race program and I see nothing anywhere in that book that mentions Paul Sawyer.Maybe this will help.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks LaVerne. I'll be interested to hear if Frank knows anything about Paul leasing the track.

--
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Sunday Sept.12,1965 Capital City 300,Richmond,Va., was postponed and raced on Saturday Sept.18,1965.

LeeRoy Yarbrough started 2nd and finished 33rd position in Richard Petty's #43 Petty Engineering 1965 Plymouth, wrecked on 80th lap.
During an caution lap, Yarbrough slid into a infield utility pole.
The radiator was smashed and Yarbrough walked back to the pits.

Sunday Oct.24,1965 Orange Speedway,Hillsborough,NC.

Jim Paschal started 4th and finished 3rd position in Richard Petty's #43 Petty Engineering 1964 Plymouth.

Howcome Richard Petty didn't raced the Richmond race and Orange Speedway race?

Was Richard Petty still drag racing at this time?
How many drag races did Richard Petty raced?
Did Richard Petty drag raced after the tragic drag racing accident that happened on Sunday,Feb.28,1965 at Southeastern Dragway in Dallas,GA.

Thanks for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA.

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Dave

I spoke with Frank and he doesn't know of any Paul Sawyer connection.The Richmond newspaper article ia a total mystery.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks again, LaVerne.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis for confirming my suspicion about the Richmond race date being postponed, whick would have put Richmond and Hillsboro running on Sat. and Sunday, IF the info in the Spartanburg paper was correct. Chrysler had just returned in late 1965 and Richard had a previous drag racing commitment that resulted in the last minute appearance of LeeRoy at Richmond in the #43.

End result of LeeRoy's run in the #43 Plymouth at Richmond in the 1965 Capital City 300 as captured in Southern MotorSports Journal.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
7 years ago
4,073 posts

Daily Press - Monday, September 13, 1965

Sunday Rains Cause Switch In Capital 300

The Capital City 300 Grand National race was postponed Sunday afternoon until next Saturday because of wet grounds, and as a result of the rescheduling, a minor dispute has come up between NASCAR officials and Langley Promoter Henry Klich Jr.

Klich has set a 100-lap modified-sportsman race on the same day and was asked by NASCAR to reschedule his program

Klich's decision to question the NASCAR “request” comes from the fact several of the modified drivers in Langley's field felt Klich's race should have priority and that the Grand National run at Richmond could be held Friday night.

Langley's 100-lap run was supposed to be held last Saturday night, but rain made the dirt track too hazardous for driving. Klich reset the race for this Saturday night.

Late Sunday night, Klich got in touch with Bill France, president of NASCAR, in Detroit and was told that Paul Sawyer promotions, which is handling the Capital City 300, was trying to work out an agreement with Hillsboro, N. C. Hillsboro has the Grand National date for Sunday.

Klich also feels that Friday night would be an ideal night for the Grand National event, due to the fact that the Richmond Rebels, of the Continental Football League, are in town for a game Saturday night.

Because the Langley date was sanctioned through NASCAR, Klich claims it should therefore have priority.

-----------------------------------

Statesville Record And Landmark - Thursday, September 16, 1965

Race Restated At Hillsboro

A 150-mile NASCAR Grand National stock car race which was scheduled for Sunday at Orange Speedway has been called off. Officials of the sanctioning body said it may be rescheduled in October or November.

Promoter Paul Sawyer, who leased the Hillsboro track from owners Bill France and Enoch Staley for the staging of this event, said it was called off because of an over-crowded schedule.

The touring pros were slated to race Tuesday night at New Oxford, Pa.; Thursday night at Manassas, Va.; Saturday night at Richmond, Va.; and Sunday at Hillsboro.

Sawyer said the decision to call off the Hillsboro race came after he conferred with NASCAR officials and drivers. The Richmond race was rained out last Sunday and rescheduled for Saturday night. Sunday of this week will be a rain date in the event that weather again poses a problem at Richmond, where Sawyer is also the promoter.

Nearly all of NASCAR's touring pros are entered in Richmond's "Capital City 300," a 300 lap event on the half-mile dirt track at the Virginia State Fairgrounds. Practice runs and qualifying trials are scheduled Saturday afternoon, with the race getting under way at 8 p.m. Saturday.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for the additional info regarding Paul Sawyer and Hillsboro, Chase.

--