Pace Car

Richard Fleener
@richard-fleener
9 years ago
5 posts

I have been told that a 1969 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler in Dan Gurney colors was used as a Pace Car in the NJ area back in 1969, possibly at the old Trenton Speedway for the NASCAR race. Can anyone confirm that? Anyone have a 1970 race program from the Trenton 300 that might show the 69 pace car. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

updated by @richard-fleener: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Richard, you might try "friending" the late Trenton promoter, Sam Nunis' daughter, Vicki Nunis of Reading, Pennsylvania, who is a member here at Stock Car RacersReunion:

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/profile/VickiNunis?xg_source=prof...

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

A friend of mine was at the 1970 Schaefer 300 at Trenton & still has the program. I believe he told me it was just a generic program that was used at many GN events that year. But I've asked him to check to see if it had any pics from the 1969 race - incl the pace car.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

ebay - $25 - 1970 Schaefer 300 program:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trenton-Speedway-Trenton-New-Jersey-July-19...

--
Richard Fleener
@richard-fleener
9 years ago
5 posts

Terrific, thank you.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

From my bud in Trenton:

1970 Program did not have any 69 race photos.But for what-ever reason, I believe it was a 69 Camaro..white convertible with orange stripes-with 2 large yellow flags flying off back bumper. I think the 69 Camaro was the pace car atIndy that year andTrenton was using one of the replicas from our local dealer, Bonderchuk Chevrolet...

Hope that helps.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Chase, your friend's description of the 1969 Camaro brings back a real memory.

In April 1969, the Chevrolet dealership in Dunn, NC loaned me their showroom version of this car to pull a float in a spring festival parade. Alas, the automatic tranny was not up to the task and suffered a meltdown!

--