Them Hanbury Boyz

Fred Sanford
@fred-sanford
12 years ago
2 posts

Amazing how far the 'net reaches! Mack logged in during 2011 but since he died in 2010, where is connecting from?

Seriously, of all 6 brothers, 3 have now passed away. Lew and Mack each have pages on a website called Findagrave.com, as do many of those in the past who paved the way for NASCAR to be what it is today. One I met in Georgia many years back - Charles Tidwell - is even there.

How many folks knew that all 6 of the Hanbury brothers were also EACH Golden Gloves boxing champs? Lew fought briefly as a pro also. At least 5 of them also drove a race car sometime in the 50s & 60s at one of the many tracks in Md. & Va.

Anyone know how to get ahold of the former photographer at the old Beltsville track? He has to have a ton of good photos I'd like to get from him...

updated by @fred-sanford: 12/05/16 04:10:12PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

I certainly remember watching Mac Hanbury in a modified at Richmond's Southside Speedway on Friday nights circa 1965.

Larry Jendras, Jr. seems to be quite a historian of Maryland and Pennsylvania stock car racing and seems to have a large collection of Bob Williams' Beltsville photos.

Here is an e-mail address for Larry posted a year ago on the Maryland Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame web site:

lwjendras@comcast.net

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
12 years ago
9,137 posts

Our member Jim Wilmore has this photo posted of Mac at Beltsville in 1967:

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"