Engine builder Tommy Turner

Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
I remember reading many years ago about an engine builder at Holman-Moody named Tommy Turner. I believe at the time he was building engines for the Wood Brothers out of the H/M shop and would like to know more about his career. Does anyone have memories about this little known builder who made the Wood Bros very quick on the race track?

updated by @pete-banchoff: 07/24/17 12:24:38AM
Richard Guido
@richard-guido
14 years ago
238 posts
Tommy did the qualifying engines for the Wood Brothers, someone else did th race stuff. That is all I have.
Charles Craig
@charles-craig
14 years ago
57 posts
Pete, he was a personal friend of mine as I used to hang around Holman Automotive in the nineties a lot. He was a real gentleman. I have a video (somewhere in my collection) of he and I sitting and talking on my tv show Racing Around Carolina. I'll try my best to dig it out. Charles Craig
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Richard and Charles, thanks for the replies! I'm still looking for the article that I think was written up in one of the Michigan International Speedway programs about the Wood Brothers. Each member of the team was talked about and at the very end was a "last but not least" member of the team, Tommy Turner. From what I remember he was the engine builder and did the work at Holman-Moody. He also rarely attended a race if my memory serves me correctly. I remember that there was a Competition Proven by Holman Moody decal on the hood of the 21 car up until I think Neil Bonnett as driver. I always thought that odd because I thought H/M were long gone at that point. I was obviously wrong!Richard, thanks for letting me know about his qualifying engines and Charles anything you can share about his career I would really appreciate. I always had a soft spot in my heart for engine builders and the demands that these great drivers put on them.Pete
butchr
@butchr
14 years ago
3 posts
I think that he was involved with the straight six motors that Dennis Setzer drove in the early 80's.The Orange Mustang won 83 championship in lmsc class againts the v8s
Harlow Reynolds
@harlow-reynolds
14 years ago
214 posts
Hello,Tommy built the Woodbrothers engine when he was with HM. 1976 after the Pearson & Petty crash. Wewere talking about when David slowed down and let Petty past. Tommy said he thought the engine had puked.Tommy was the best at that time.ThanksHarlow ReynoldsLynchburg, Va.
Charles Craig
@charles-craig
14 years ago
57 posts
Pete, he was a friend of mine and I would spend lots of time at H-M with him Larry Wallace, Jimmy Tucker, and Jr. Martin. I have a video somewhere of my little tv show where I interview Tommy about 1993. A true gentleman and a great friend. Charles Craig host of Racing Around Carolina...
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
14 years ago
279 posts
Jim, thanks for the great reply. I always wanted to know more about him because very little was written that I could find. That was a great piece you wrote. Thank you!!I remember that Casey Luna Ford WoO car #10 I believe. He made us Ford fans so proud.Pete
Jack Anderson
@jack-anderson
14 years ago
4 posts
Tommy was one of the best engine builders in the business and did build engines for the Wood Brothers and also Dave Dion if you can get in touch with Dave he was one of Daves best friends.Thanks for remembering Tommy!Jack
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

When Kyle Petty began driving for the Wood Brothers with our 7-Eleven sponsorship in 1985, Tommy Turner was building the engines and Leonard Wood was tuning them. Tommy Turner built the motor that took Kyle to his first Cup win at Richmond in 1986.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

The quote below regarding David Pearson's 1976 Daytona 500 win over Richard Petty came from a February 2017 Wood Brothers web site posting:

"Tommy Turner, using an improved Ford block manufactured in Australia, built the short block while Leonard Wood crafted the cylinder heads."

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM
RWMYERS
@rwmyers
7 years ago
14 posts

Tommy built the Chevrolet engines my brother used in his Sportsman cars in 74 & 75.  One of the best in the business no matter what brand.

updated by @rwmyers: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM