Racing History Minute - July 5, 2013

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

No, no, the date in the headline for this "Minute" is not an error. When I went to my sources, including Greg Fielden's books, my Southern Motor Sports Journals collection, my Stock Car Racing Magazine collection, I could find NO race actually taking place on July 5th at any point in time. We can be assured, however, that racing was going on at some track somewhere on this date. I just don't have access to those records with my limited ability to find things on a computer. Fact is, I have started this Minute three times already this morning only to have it disappear when I tried to post it.

I thought that today I would brush us up on a little NASCAR history. Anyone with more than 10 years around the sport surely knows that on a December afternoon in 1947, thirty-five men gathered in The Streamline Hotel in Daytona. All accounts I've read always describe the scene as a "smoke-filled" room. Such a description of a meeting in today's times would certainly overlook that fact. How times change.

There are several well written accounts of this meeting and, depending upon which one you read, Big Bill France was either the hero who made the sport work, or the boogey man who stole the ideas and money of others to set himself up as Supreme Dictator in the sport. I prefer to think of Big Bill as the man needed at the time to bring the sport from what it was to what it could be. Check out "Driving With the Devil" either in written form or the now recorded ediction by Buz McKim to get some details of that meeting.

Big Bill was Chairman of the meeting in the Streamline after having begun the 1947 racing season as director of The National Championship Stock Car Circuit(NCSCC). He had also sanctioned some events through the Stock Car Auto Racing Society but with the acronym SCARS not necessarily good for the initial reaction of some folks, it was decided that would not work.

Red Vogt, a mechanical genius from Atlanta, is credited with coming up with NASCAR (National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing). On February 21, 1948, NASCAR was incorporated and Big Bill was elected President. The purpose, or mission statement was for NASCAR to unite all stock car racing under one set of rules.

NASCAR sought to sanction three classes in 1948. Strickly Stock was the top division with Modified Stocks Division and Roadster Divisions backing it up. First problem out of the box was for the Strickly Stock. No new cars had been manufactured from 1942 through 1946 due to WWII and France was hesitant to have new cars being banged up on race tracks when fans were clamoring for new vehicles coming off the assembly lines in Detroit. Manufacturers were working literally around the clock attempting to catch up with demand.

It was also not easy to stamp out the completion as France was competing against National Stock Car Racing Association and the United Stock Car Racing Association , all of which had National Champions. Frankly, what was happening was racing was getting limited coverage in the press as writers were tired of trying to determine who was the true national champion is a sport with so many acronyms. But Big Bill wouldn't back down. Never did, no matter the problem. Just think of the first race at Talladega twenty years down the road. Think of taking on the Jimmy Hoffa led Union when Charlotte Motor Speedway was being built. Love him, like him, or hate him, Big Bill France did things his way and won. Very few men, in my opinion, could have pulled off the things Big Bill did without either being taken on a one way ride (i.e. the aforemention Jimmy Hoffa), or being forced to resign in disgrace.

My personal first adventure into stock car racing was at The Historic Columbia Speedway in the summer of 1952. I remember certain things about that race but I have no idea if it was sanctioned by NASCAR or just a plain "outlaw" race. I do recall the sights, sounds, and smells of that night which have stayed with me all these 62 years. I also know that NASCAR has been such a huge part of my life that to try to separate my life from NASCAR would be a most difficult task. I may not always agree with what NASCAR does (seems even more likely that happens these days) but I always will put it head and shoulders above any other form of racing and, in fact, any other sport on the planet.

Tonight, the Nationwide Series will take to the track at Daytona. Twenty years from now, the next person to come along to write about history will have that event to use. I have tried, in all the History Minutes, to keep events prior to 1983 which gives, I hope, the younger fans coming into the sport a place to read about how we got started and what it took to build the sport. Give we older fans the chance to remember parts of our youth we treasure.

Honor the past, embrace the present, dream for the future

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

updated by @tim-leeming: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Try this.
http://racing-reference.info/alldates?dt=0705

Thank you very much for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks for the history lesson, Tim and the links, Dennis.

On this date 32 years ago, July 5, 1981, I sponsored Dale Earnhardt in the blue & yellow Wrangler Jeans Pontiac in a NASCAR Winston West race in Portland, Oregon. Earnhardt flew cross country to Portland after competing in the July 4, 1981 Firecracker 400 at Daytona. The GI Joe's Portland 150 race was won by the late Jim Robinson, one of the nicest drivers you'd ever meet at a NASCAR race. His daughter, Brenna Robinson McNeill is a member of the RR family and there is a club here on RR in his memory -

http://stockcar.racersreunion.com/group/rememeberingjamesrobinson

Dale only ran two laps in the Portland race. The rundown lists Rod Osterlund as car owner, but I think that is incorrect. However, I can't remember whose car Ken Clapp arranged to put Dale in. It had to b a Pontiac and I believe the same car was run in another 1981 Winston West race by Bobby Allison.

The Associated Press carried national coverage of the Portland race as evidenced by the story below that appeared in the Albany, New York newspaper. The rundown following the story is from Racing Reference.

1981 G.I. Joe's Portland 150

NASCAR Winston West Series race number 7 of 14
Sunday, July 5, 1981 at Portland Speedway , Portland, OR
150 laps on a .500 mile paved track (75.0 miles)

Time of race: 0:58:01
Average Speed: 77.564 mph
Pole Speed: 84.38 mph
Cautions: 1 for 6 laps
Margin of Victory: 1 lap +
Attendance: n/a
Lead changes: 4
Fin St # Driver Sponsor / Owner Car Laps Money Status Led
1 8 78 Jim Robinson Hammer Security (Jack Williams) Oldsmobile 150 4,000 running 56
2 3 16 Jim Bown Rose Auto Wrecking (Dick Bown) Buick 149 2,485 running 0
3 5 01 Hershel McGriff Industrial Leasing (Gerald Craker) Buick 149 1,450 running 24
4 10 8 Ross Kusah McCutcheon Fence Pontiac 149 900 running 0
5 12 29 Terry Forsythe Midgley Brothers (Dick Midgley) Pontiac 147 850 running 0
6 1 95 Derrike Cope Jefferson Racing (George Jefferson) Ford 147 1,130 running 0
7 2 73 Bill Schmitt Pro-Power Engines (Bill Schmitt) Buick 147 1,020 running 16
8 19 88 Jack Jeffery Jefferies Racing Buick 147 650 running 0
9 17 96 Sharon Bishop Bishop Racing (Sharon Bishop) Pontiac 143 600 running 0
10 15 35 Pat Mintey Marv's Chevy Only (Pat Mintey) Chevrolet 143 500 running 0
11 9 98 John Kieper Wholesale Truck Parts (John Kieper) Pontiac 143 490 running 0
12 6 38 Don Waterman St. John's Auto Parts (Don Waterman) Buick 139 580 running 0
13 18 07 Gene Thonesen Thonesen Racing (Gene Thonesen) Buick 139 450 running 0
14 4 11 Roy Smith Aircraft Standards (Robert Beadle) Buick 131 700 running 54
15 14 20 Pappy Pryor Pryor Racing Pontiac 121 370 engine 0
16 16 82 Sumner McKnight T.O.E. (Shirnell Gautsche) Buick 98 360 transmission 0
17 11 89 Moe Willits J.R. Edgett (Reg Kennedy) Pontiac 85 350 overheating 0
18 7 18 Rick O'Dell Behn's Enterprises (Torsten Behn) Buick 35 330 oil leak 0
19 13 72 Dale Earnhardt Wrangler Jeans (Rod Osterlund) Pontiac 2 320 clutch 0

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Dennis and Dave, thanks to both of you for the addition to this post.

Dennis, I had forgotten the site called "racing reference" but I've added it to my favorites now so I'll try to check that every day. As I've said so often, I use Greg Fielden's reference and magazines and Southern Motorsport JournalsI have here. There are times when the information I have is limited, such as today.

Dave, I have no records at all of the Winston West Divsion, although I do know of some of the races there. I am so happy that you have added the information about that race on July 5, 1981 and the personal memories and reflections from your connection to that race.

When I started this History Minute on April 5th,it was my intent to post a recap of an event from the Fielden books and then have folks add personal memories and information they had. What has happened, such as the post from yesterday, has exceeded my hopes. Every day, every time someone adds a remark, comment, picture, or newspaper article to a Minute, it enhances all this site is about. Our sport has a rich heritage and a history of which to be very proud. Many, today, seek to alter or erase that history and heritage so what we are doing here is, in my humbe opinion, extremely important for the preservation of that history.

I think, when Jeff started this site in honor of Paul Lewis, that it was his intention that the history be foremost in themes and reflections. Admittedly, I was a primary problem in leading folks down a path of current NASCAR events, which I think do have a place here in relevant discussions, but not as a means to be the almighty one who is always right without consideration of the other person's opinion. If we have not yet achieved that, we are getting very close and that fact makes me both happy and proud. I truly want us to Honor the past, embrace the present, and dream for the future. Wonder if I should get that phrase trademarked?????

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Dennis  Garrett
@dennis-garrett
11 years ago
560 posts

Tim and Dave,

Enjoyed your racing posts very much.

Tim,

I forgot this!!

http://racing-reference.info/alldates.htm

Thank you very much for any information or photos posted.
Dennis Garrett
Richmond,Va. USA

bobby hunt
@bobby-hunt
11 years ago
3 posts

has anyone ever found any pictures of dales car ?

Brandon Miller
@brandon-miller
7 years ago
21 posts

I hate to dig up an old thread, but does anyone have photos of the #72 Potiac Earnhardt ran in the Portland race?

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
7 years ago
9,137 posts

I have yet to find a photo Brandon.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"