Jack Carter

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

I have received information that Racers Reunion member, Jack Carter

, has passed away. Jack succumed to blood clots which developed during

Heart by-pass surgery. I don't have any funeral information at this time. Jack's father owned and raced a series of MoPar coupes in the tidewater. Virginia area in the 1950's and '60's. The cars were usually "DeSoto Powered", #37' and were driven by

Butch Torrie.

updated by @bobby-williamson: 12/05/16 04:02:07PM
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
11 years ago
820 posts

my thoughts and sincere condolences to the family and friends of Mr. Jack Carter

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

I am so sorry to hear this news, Bobby. Jack's family was an integral part of Virginia stock car racing history. Thoughts and prayers go out to Jack's family and friends. We'll sure miss his postings here at RR.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

I was checking the site before turning in for the night and saw this. My heart is broken. Jack had sent me an e-mail about his upcoming surgery and asked for prayers. I wrote him back and said I would be praying, which I did. I had just sent an e-mail this morning to him hoping to hear he was doing well. I am devastated by this news.

Let me tell you a little about Jack that I know about personally. When we started Team SC Midlands, as a part of RacersReunion (which is still active by the way), we were wanting to get a banner made to use at events when we set up a tent. I checked prices around here and what we wanted ran between $300 to $450.00. I don't recall exactly how Jack got involved but he asked that we send him an e-mail with an attachment of what we wanted. Devin did that. Just a few days later I got a call from Jack saying the banner was on the way to me. I asked what we owed him as we had not discussed that. It was my understanding he was going to look at what we sent him and quote us a price. A couple days later the banner arrived. It was everything we had envisioned and more. It was an absolutely fantastic job. I called Jack and asked him how much so we could send the check. He said it was his contribution to what we were doing. I did send him a check for the shipping charges but that check was never cashed.

Now, going further, I found out long after the fact that Jack had to contract out to get our emblem on the banner as he did not have that capability. He never told us that so not only had he contributed his talents to our banner but had also paid someone to put the emblem on it.

Later that same year, 2010 I think, I was at Occoneechee for the Celebration of the Automobile and this guy walks up and says to me "it's great to meet the Legend face-to-face finally". I didn't even have to ask. I knew it was Jack from having talked with him on the phone. That afternoon we spent probably two hours talking and the subject was mostly about racing. What a great time we had.

We have truly lost a great member of our racing family. I will miss Jack and the daily e-mails he always sent to me. Not a day went by that I didn't hear from him, many times just forwarded e-mails he thought were funny, and he was most always right. But he also added little notes to many of them. Most of all,I will miss the opportunity to have more great conversations with Jack.

I just took the TSCM banner out of the "tube" in which it was shipped, which remains in The Lair at all times, and rolled it out on the floor. Looking at all the effort that went into that banner reflects the effort Jack put into life and his friends. Rest in peace my friend. I will miss you so much.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
619 posts

Same here, TIm.

Bobby, I am in shock and sadden to hear this. I echo Tim's words for Jack's contribution and help given to TSCM in helping us with our banner. I, too, shared emails with him from time to time and am just finding this news hard to believe.

My thoughts are with family and friends.

Devin
@devin
11 years ago
619 posts

A Funeral service will be conducted at noon on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 at the R. Hayden Smith Funeral Chapel. Interment will follow at the Parklawn Memorial Park. The family will receive family and friends from 6-8pm on Monday November, 25, 2013 at R. Hayden Smith Funeral Chapel in Hampton, VA.

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
11 years ago
3,259 posts

I have known jack for a few years and as Tim said we always were in touch by e-mail almost daily-- I too knew he was going in the hospital but not why... All I can say is May God accept him with open arms..

Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
11 years ago
1,783 posts

Sad news! I met Jack at the 2008 or 2009 (can't remember) Occoneechee event. We talked the rest of the day, and hew went home and joined RR.

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
ray lamm
@ray-lamm
11 years ago
214 posts

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailypress/obituary.aspx?n=jack-carter&pid=168145788&fhid=13741 I am so shock to hear .jack was great friend.every time talk to jack always ask how junie donlavley doing.i talk to jack early this year asking was coming to occoneechee this year he say let me know.my prayer and thoughts to his family at this time.RIP JACK CARTER.

LAVERNE ZACHARY
@laverne-zachary
11 years ago
117 posts

Very sad news.This photo was made at the 2010 Celebration of The Automobile 8--28-2010 in Hillsborough.Jack Carter and June Rose Hudgins.My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.We will miss you very much.

Jimmy Johnson
@jimmy-johnson
11 years ago
123 posts

This is a total shock, Met Jack in Occoneechee a few years back, Thoughts and prayers for Jack ,friends and family. May he Rest in Peace.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

Jack Carter Jr.

HAMPTON - Jack Carter, Jr., 67, died Friday, November 22, 2013. A native and lifelong Hampton resident, he worked for the Hampton Fire Department until he decided that it was taking time away from the business he loved, making signs. He owned and operated Carter Signs for more than 35 years. During the Vietnam Conflict he served in the US Army Reserves. Jack loved car restoration, and had been a stock car race fan since childhood. Preceded in death by his parents, Dee Dee and Jack Carter, and his brother, Robert Carter; survivors include his wife, Debbie White Carter; his daughter, Kelly Frederick and her husband, Zach; his son, Corey Carter; his sister, Joyce Lawrence; three grandchildren, Chris, Joseph and Jessica; a special nephew, Joel Carter; and his brother-in-law, A.C. White and his family. He will also be missed by his dogs, Pokey and Chewy. A funeral service will be conducted at noon on Tuesday, November 26, 2013 in the R. Hayden Smith Funeral Home chapel. Interment will follow in Parklawn Memorial Park. The family will receive friends from 6-8PM Monday at the funeral home. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association , P. O. Box 5216 Glen Allen, VA 23058.
Published in Daily Press on Nov.24,2013

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dailypress/obituary.aspx?n=jack-carter&pid=168145788&fhid=13741#sthash.YK1POkzZ.dpuf

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
11 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Robin L. Agner
@robin-l-agner
11 years ago
169 posts

Thoughts and prayers for Jack's family.

Zachariah Frederick
@zachariah-frederick
11 years ago
5 posts

Good morning all, I am Jack's son in law and am handling his affairs with my wife, his daughter, Kelly. He was laid to rest yesterday 11/26 with full military honors. He's driving on Jesus's dirt track now. Thank you for the support. His legacy will go on and his #37 race car will be finished by my children and I to be showed in car shows. If anybodyknows any specific info on it hit me up cause I'm in a ballpark on it right now. Once again, our family thanks you.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
11 years ago
907 posts

Thank you and family, Zachariah. God Bless

Tim Leeming
@tim-leeming
11 years ago
3,119 posts

Thank you, Zachariah, for jumping in this discussion. Jack was an absolutely wonderful man and I will miss our daily e-mail exhanges. Jack Walker, Dave Fulton and Bobby Willliamson should be able to provide you with any information you need about the #37. God bless you and the family.

--
What a change! It's been awhile since I've checked in and I'm quite surprised. It may take me awhile to figure it our but first look it's really great.