GT 200 - May 3, 1969

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

GT 200

Maryville, Tn. May 3, 1969

The 5th Grand Touring race of 1969 was held at Smoky Mountain Raceway and was 200 laps on the paved oval. Wayne Andrews started on the pole with a track record of 85.959 mph and led the first 17 laps before blowing a water hose. After a lengthy pit stop he finished 14 th . Tiny Lund became the first repeat winner for 1969 with a 3 second margin over fast closing Jim Paschal. The crowd of 7,100 had watched Paschal make up two laps lost early in the event but the laps ran out before he could get to the lead. Only know the finishing order of 6 drivers, need help with this one.

T.C. Hunt took over the point lead with a 3 rd place finish from Larry Wallace who lost an engine early in the race. Frank Sessoms is 3 rd , Bill Hemby 4 th , Billy Yuma 5 th , Ken Rush 6 th , Al Straub 7 th , C.B. Gwyn 8 th , Charlie Blanton 9 th and Buck Baker 10 th .

Fin Srt Car # Driver Car Laps Reason out

1 16 Tiny Lund 68 Cougar 200 Running

2 27 Jim Paschal 69 Javelin 200 Running

3 88 T.C Hunt 68 Camaro Running

4 44 Ken Rush 68 Camaro Running

5 67 Joie Chitwood, Jr. 68 Camaro Running

14 1 15 Wayne Andrews 68 Cougar Running

Personal Notes:

On Wednesday, April 30, 1969 Reid Shaw purchased one of Bud Moores Grand Touring cars, a 1968 Cougar #15. It was a twin to the #16 Cougar Tiny was driving for Tiger Tom Pistone in 69, which was the same car Tiny drove for Bud in 68.

Bud knew they were headed for Maryville and had the car set up. He told Dad and Reid not to touch the car. He said Tiny would tell them to change this or that but dont change a thing. Sure enough when they got to the track and unloaded Tiny came by and told them they needed to change a few things. Dad thanked Tiny for the advice but only set the tire pressure and torqued the wheels. Bud had it right because Dad set a track record in qualifying. First time he had ever seen the track. Blowing off the water hose spoiled a good start for the team. This would be the last time Dad would finish outside the top 10 the rest of the season. I have one report that says he finished 14 th in this race and one that says 16 th . I cant remember.

Wayne Andrews beside Shaw Racing Enterprises Cougar

updated by @dennis-andrews: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

What a wonderful recollection, Dennis! Is that tube to the left of your dad's car in the photo the one they used to carry around with Joie Chitwood?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Dennis - Great story !

Here is the complete results as listed in Southern MotorSports Journal.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

From the May 1, 1969 Kingsport (TN ) Post :

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

You'll forgive the author of the clip above for leaving out the "h" in Jim Paschal 's name. Look below at what he did to L.D. Ottinger, Harry Gant and Jack Ingram in the same story!!! Maybe they didn't teach spelling, or, at least proofreading in Kingsport... have to ask Jeff Gilder! And Randy Bethea was being called a very aristocratic Randolph .

--
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

Dave, I think the tube seen in the picture above is more like the one you posted next. I remember it being more like a rocket but I don't remember if it was the X-2. The Camaro in this picture is later model than when the picture of the Cougar was taken.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

Thanks for the complete run down Jack. Looks like 16th is the correct finishing position for Dad and it would appear he did not get back into the race as I had thought since it list a reason out. But I have learned not to assume the reasons listed are correct. A lot of times they were told what the racers wanted to tell but in this case I know it was not a blown engine but a blown water hose.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Thanks, Dennis. I remember seeing that thing.

--
TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
10 years ago
4,073 posts

Brief race report from Times-News of Hendersonville NC

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
10 years ago
835 posts

Talked with Dad and he said it was an oil line that blew off so the news clipping I have was in error. They were able to get the oil line replaced and did re-enter the race so he was running at the end but was 56 laps down. I do have a blown water hose story but it will come later.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
5 years ago
4,073 posts

Bump

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
5 years ago
835 posts

Dad told this story about this race. It was the first time in the Cougar and the first time at this track. It was only his second year driving on asphalt. He had a little case of nerves and did not want to get in anybodies way so in the first practice he said he spent more time looking in the mirror than the windshield. He was all over the track. After practice Jim Paschal wanted to know who that nut was in the 15 car? But by the time they qualified dad had it figured out and sat on the pole. And dad and Jim would become good friends.

updated by @dennis-andrews: 01/18/20 05:20:38AM