I saw my first Modified Stock Car Race in the fall of 1949.

Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
16 years ago
242 posts
After being a member for less than a week I realize that I am one of the oldest(80) RacersReunion.Com Members.In a way I feel that I need to tell about how things were at the very beginning. Most of you talk about Racing in the 60s and 70s.To those that are interested I will be glad to answer questions about how it was "back when".I raced with some of the oldtimers like Lee Petty, Curtis Turner, Fonty Flock, Jim Rathmann, Speedy Thompson, Frank Munday and Buck Baker.I don't claim to have been competitive with them, but as Joe Epton (NASCAR's Chief Scorer) once told me "its just as dangerous out there getting past by Curtis Turner as any other place on the track".If you have any questions ask.
updated by @jim-streeter: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
16 years ago
1,783 posts
Jim,I love hearing about racing back then. I interviewed Charlie Mincey a while back as well as Raymond Parks. I was just now listening, on RacersReunion Radio, to Jim Seay's interview with Tiger Tom Pistone. All those guys tell some very interesting stories about the era. I would love to have you write some of your recollections of racing back then for inclusion on the site. A great way to do that would be write them in the "Blog" section. also we will put you on our list of radio interviews either for the upcoming "live" show...or in regular programming.Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us.Jeff

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
16 years ago
242 posts
I've never considered myself as the "journalist type", but I will try to make a post to my Blog at least once a week.You have to remember I will talk about things that happened 55 to 60 years ago and I might not get it exactly correct.
Jeff Gilder
@jeff-gilder
16 years ago
1,783 posts
I love it!!! Can't wait to read them!Thank You!

--
Founder/Creator - RacersReunion®
Melissa Bleier
@melissa-bleier
16 years ago
6 posts
Hi there!!This is Melissa- I'm working on a thesis about historic NASCAR tracks (So excited to get to be writing about something I love!) and I would love to get into a good conversation with you! It is really hard not to want to write about a bunch of tracks, at the moment I'll be working with Martinsville, Darlington and Rockingham.(I think...) :)What was it like at the tracks? What did it mean to win at one of them? Did they have the reputations that they have today? I know Rockingham is a bit later, but I would love to hear what stories you have-I'm going to be starting an open post about this too...but I saw yours and it was just what I wanted!m.
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
16 years ago
242 posts
When you get it started I'll reply to it.
Melissa Bleier
@melissa-bleier
15 years ago
6 posts
Jim-I would love to take up some of your time, if you don't mind?If you are interested, drop me a line at my email :TheTrackGirl @ Gmail.Thanks!Melissa
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
15 years ago
279 posts
Jim, thanks for letting us pick your brain. Just curious, what tires were used in the late 40's early 50's; stock, truck, racing? Was the tread shaved down for better grip?Pete in Michigan
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
15 years ago
242 posts
Right Front was a large Truck most of the time. Left Front the smallest that we could find that would fit on the rim of a 36 Ford Rim.Rears (on a dirt track) were usually some Yankee asphalt recaps with groves cut in them.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
15 years ago
279 posts
Thanks Jim,How did the recaps hold up? Were they good for only one race?Pete
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
15 years ago
242 posts
On the 1/4 mile flat asphalt real well, but on the old 1/2 dirt you never could tell.On the big mile tracks, "Bang!" into the fence. No innerliners those days.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
15 years ago
279 posts
Jim, got to thinking today about the old transmissions and rear ends and I'm curious about a couple of things. What transmission was used back in the late 40's early 50's. Were they modified somehow and did you have to double clutch to find gears? Were the rear ends from trucks and was there a ratio that you favored?Thanks Jim.Pete in Michigan
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
15 years ago
242 posts
Rear end ratio.1937 3/4 Ton Ford Truck Rear End!/4 Mile Flat 9/41 2nd Gear1/3 mile High Bank 666 Hi gear1/2 mile dirt 354 2nd.all flat head fordsno double clutchsome used Lincoln 2nd gear.
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
15 years ago
279 posts
Thanks Jim, I'm learning a lot from you.Pete
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
15 years ago
488 posts
JimI purchased a 46 Ford modified coupe the other day that raced at Rockingham Speeday (dirt track) at a hobby or jalopy. After getting the big coupe home I noticed how similar it is to a 1940 coupe accept it's much, much larger. It wasn't until Bobby Williamson told me that the 1946 was the year the car manufactures started producing cars again, he said they quit making them in 1942 to refit for the war effort.My question is: Do you know of any make/models that were produced between 1942 and 1946? I had never really thought of it before.ThanksJim WilmoreFayetteville,NC
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
15 years ago
242 posts
To my knowledge the only cars built from 42 though 45 were 4 door Plymouths. They were used as "Staff Cars" for the military. They were all like the 42's.46 Ford Coupe were a little more bulky. Their engines were a little larger similar to the prewar Mercurys. Now I'm going to rely on this 81 year old memory : the CI engines were larger in Mercurys because of larger pistons. Later( 1949) they were enlarged by a longer stroke.1933-1938 221CI1939-1948 239 Ci1949-1953 254 Ci MercurysBy the way in 1937 they built a 136 CI V8 60 HP. My dad owned one. It could barely make over a small hill.I t was later replaced by a "straight 6".
Pete Banchoff
@pete-banchoff
15 years ago
279 posts
Great information, Jim. My Dad told me about that little V8 and it had NO POWER. Do you remember the "steel" pennies that were issued during the war?
Jim Streeter
@jim-streeter
15 years ago
242 posts
Sure do. I also remember when it was against the law to sell margarine that was pre-colored.The butter lobby was able to get a law past that prohibited margarine from looking like butter (it was white and looked like lard). In the same package there was color mixture and you could color it yourself.
Jim Wilmore
@jim-wilmore
15 years ago
488 posts
That is some good information Jim, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. Your right, the 46 Ford Coupe is big and bulky but it sure does have a place in history being it's a post-war relic stock car. So you saying I would need a 239 CI flathead to make it complete?