Early track experiences?

Melissa Bleier
@melissa-bleier
15 years ago
6 posts
Hi everyone!I'm still plugging away at my thesis!I was wondering if anyone wanted to share stories of early visits to tracks-either as fans or as a driver. ..stories about the infields, grandstands, camping, staying in people's houses, the food- the restrooms..Anything!I'm writing about the way a race track becomes a community. I have lots of stories from my visits- but I would love to be able to note the ways it is the same (and different!)Thanks!oh! And Ps! If the stories are about Martinsville, Darlington or Rockingham even better! That makes me look good. ;)If they aren't its ok. We're all part of the same family no matter what track we go to, right?m.
updated by @melissa-bleier: 12/05/16 04:00:58PM
Paul Zappardino
@paul-zappardino
15 years ago
40 posts
As a fan I have been to a lot of NASCAR sanctioned tracks in the Southeast, My home track Beltsville was a gem, and when I got out of high school i was wrenching in the limited and then the late model division. Only way to spend a weekend, Friday at Beltsville and Saturday at Manasas, Va. Old Dominion speedway. Also went to South Boston, Richmond, and yes i did Martinsville for the Cardianl and Dogwood classics, that was a Short track trwat those classics at Martinsville. I was in attendance at the last GN (cup race) in Maryland on May 16, 1971 At Beltsville Bobby Issac won follwed by Boby Allison and James Hylton. I can still see it like it was yesterday. Also been to Charlotte ( have trouble with that Lowe's crap) and Daytona, my favorite race of Speedweeks was the "300" Remember in 75 Ivan Baldwin driving his home built 66 Chevelle giving the ex-cup cars a fit before Ingram won it. and in 79 that firey wreck that still scares n me when i think of it today.Had fun in the LMS division till 81, I knew when NASCAR made it BUSCH and it was a touring series the short track racing I loved was no more, the politics set in and the fun gone. i could write forever on my experiences on those short tracks and the people i met, will never forget, memories are good
Tommie  Clinard
@tommie-clinard
14 years ago
209 posts
I remember my first race as a driver. It was in 1956 at Palm Beach Speedway in West Palm Beach Florida in the NASCAR Amateur Division.. Palm Beach Speedway was a paved 1/2 mile high banked track. Very fast. A man asked around if anyone knew of a driver for his car as his driver did not show up. I told him that I was a driver even though I had never driven before. So I went to my nearby car and got my helmet and proceeded to race my first race. I finished 6th in the heat race and 4th in the feature. My Dad came down from the stands into the pits and I introduced the owner to my Dad. I will never forget my Dad's remarks. "Not bad for his first race huh?" The owner never said anything about that remark. I did get a strange look though.
Jan Woodberry
@jan-woodberry
14 years ago
171 posts
Darlington Raceway was (is) near our hometown of Lake City, SC. When Sam Ard was racing we were ALWAYS there. His mom, Mrs. Lillian Ard was so very proud of him as we all were. She never failed to reach over & tap someone on the shoulder saying, "You see that number double zero? That's MY boy, Sammy!". She always had the sweetest look on her face when referring to her son, Sam.I have many memories of going to the track only to have the rain descend upon us. But it was ok, we sat there anyway until the race was either called or run. Now they have sophisticated dryers but then we watched as trucks, wreckers- you name it- pulled tires 'round and 'round and 'round trying to dry the track, often only to have another downpour of rain come!My most memorable time at Charlotte Moter Speedway was when Sam won the MillerTime 300. We were in the stands and everyone was so excited! Mrs. Lillian wanted to get in the pits where her boy was to help him celebrate. Determined, she approached a nice looking man with black hair who appeared to be an official. He told her to stand there and he would get us in a minute. Soon he arrived in a shiny red truck and took all of us to Winner's Circle where Sam was. Out of 82,000+ people, I don't know how she knew which one to approach. It was a combination of a mother's intuition and divine intervention, I suppose.