Raven Rock Dragstrip or Riverside Dragstrip

Darlene Hughes
@darlene-hughes
15 years ago
2 posts
Anybody have any photos from either of these dragstrips?
updated by @darlene-hughes: 12/05/16 08:50:55AM
Sherm
@sherm
15 years ago
1 posts
Darlene: I hope someone on here has photos of RR as that is where I got my start in drag racing! My brotherinlaw took me there in a new 57 chevy and I was hooked. I've been racing ever since! I'll keep an eye out for photos. thanks.
Patrick Fogel
@patrick-fogel
15 years ago
3 posts
Are you talking about Raven Rock Dragstrip in Portsmouth, OH? I went there a lot when I was a kid! Sorry I don't have any pictures. The first time I saw Gordon Collett he ran there and the Cook Bros. with their hemi rail. Where was Riverside except in California? There is Edgewater in Cinti.Pat
Darlene Hughes
@darlene-hughes
15 years ago
2 posts
Yes, that is the Raven Rock I was talking about. I'm sorry to say I never took any pictures either. Riverside Dragstrip was in Proctorville, Ohio. Maybe 15 miles up from Ironton, it was right on the river. We went down to the Don Garlits Hall of Fame in 2005 to see Gordon get inducted into the Hall of Fame. We got to sit at his table with him and his wife for the entire evening. He said he didn't save anything from back in those days. I took a magazine to him that had his car on the cover. At the NHRA Museum in California they have a big display on Collett. A guy in West Porstmouth had his old 57 dragster hanging in a barn and sold it to Gordon. He is slowly restoring it. If you go to utube and punch in Gordon Collett, another guy fron West Portsmouth has posted a short movie of Gordon Making a pass at Raven Rock in that dragster. Do you remember Bob Porter(Porters Pride). Darrell Lewis, or Bob Delabar? I remember the Cook Brothers dragster, and the Fisher Brothers dragster also. Send me an email at LVNHRA@msn.com and I will send you a few photos. Thanks for replying. Patrick Fogel said:
Are you talking about Raven Rock Dragstrip in Portsmouth, OH? I went there a lot when I was a kid! Sorry I don't have any pictures. The first time I saw Gordon Collett he ran there and the Cook Bros. with their hemi rail. Where was Riverside except in California? There is Edgewater in Cinti.
Pat
Chuck South
@chuck-south
15 years ago
1 posts
Darlene,My uncle Jim South raced at both places and had a ton of photos that sadly he threw away in 1981 as he "retired " from racing after the close of Riverside.He "unretired" the next year and continues bracket racingthroughout the Tri-state region. Clay City, Bluegrass,Kanawha Valley, and the short track at Ft. Gay as well as the defunct strip on Rt. 5 behind Ashland, Ky.all have been raced at since. Arthur Suiter comes around now and again -he helped run Riverside back in the day. Some of the "old"guys are still out there on occasion reminding the young'uns that flag racing existed and some old dudes can still cut a light.
darrell crabtree
@darrell-crabtree
11 years ago
1 posts
I've known Jim south for many years. He's one of the nicest racers you will ever meet.
Rusty Adams
@rusty-adams
11 years ago
1 posts

Check out the facebook group site. Raven Rock Drag Strip Memories 1957 thru 1976.

Mickey Bryant
@mickey-bryant
11 years ago
1 posts

I have lots of pictures of Riverside Raceway in California in our books and on file.

randy howelett
@randy-howelett
10 years ago
1 posts

I have lots of video of Raven Rock from 1963-1965. my Dad drove a 150 series '55' with 110 on the doors. it was a D/G car. Randy H.