Another Ghost Track and Auto Garage Search Tool - Hill's Directories

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

When looking for information on location of old race tracks, you might also try Hill's Directory .

I was already familiar with this tool because the directory HQ for many years were located on Clay Street in Richmond, Va.

The Hill Directory Company of Richmond (now Hill-Donnelly) published huge bound business to business volumes selling for $25-$40 or so primarily for sale to businesses utilizing them as sales prospecting tools.

The Hill's Directories are sort of a glorified combo of yellow page display and classified ads, business listings and residential listings. There are categories for Amusements (which sometimes include racetracks) and all other imaginable categories. I especially enjoy looking at the display ads for garages, car dealers and grocery stores.

These directories were produced for many years on a yearly basis. Many University Archives have editions that can be searched on line. In North Carolina, a number of the various North Carolina University Archives of the Hill's Directories starting back in the 1920s have been lumped together at a single site:

http://www.digitalnc.org/collections/city-directories/

Eric Cardona... you'll even find a Raeford, NC directory for one year. There are years of Fayetteville directories to keep you busy looking for racetrack listings.

The University of Virginia Library also has an archive of Hill's Directories.

You'll have to have a heck of a lot of patience to navigate through these directories, but you might find a gem of a ghost track or garage.

You can also enter the search terms Hill's Directory and the city or county into a search engine and see what pops up.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"

updated by @dave-fulton: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

In the 1963 Hill's Directory for Wilson, NC, I found a display ad for Dixie Supply Co. , the sponsor of our 1955 Chevy at Wilson County Speedway.

--
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

The 1963 Hill's directory for Wilson, NC showed Wilson County Speedway on U.S. 301, but also mentioned a micro midget track in a display ad for Bill's Drive-In. When I got to Wilson in 1970, Bill's had become Bill's BBQ & Chicken Restaurant and there was no sign of a micro midget track on the premises.

--
Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

This is a goldmine of info. Thanks, Dave!