Baton Rouge International Speedway

Cory Evans
@cory-evans
13 years ago
1 posts

Hi,
Is there anyone on here that went to this speedway in Prairieview LA? There seems to be very limited info/pictures on the internet about this speedway. I believe it was around from the 60s to the early 80s. Site of the 1969 New Orleans Pop Festival. I'm recreating it along with the Jackson International Speedway, for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season PC game. Interested in what the banking should be around the track in degrees if possible?

Greatly appreciated,

Cory

updated by @cory-evans: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

Cory,

Can't help with track dimensions except that the race results that I have say the track was a 0.625 (5/8) mile paved oval. The NASCAR Grand Touring Division held an event there on May 26, 1969. The first 133 of the 320 laps were ran on the 25th beforethe race wasstopped due to rain. The results are incomplete but Ken Rush started from the pole and the race was won by Jim Paschal in an AMC Javelin followed by Buck Baker 2nd, Martin Sharpe 3rd, Stan Starr Jr. 4th, Phil Wills 5th, Al Staub 6th, Al Lemons 7th and Ernie Shaw 8th. These were the only starters running at the end. Some of the others in the race wereCharlie Blanton, Bob Tullius and Tiny Lund. Rush's qualifying time was 24.56 seconds.

Dennis Andrews
@dennis-andrews
13 years ago
835 posts

Cory,

The GT cars ran twice at Jackson International Speedway in 1969. The first was on May 23rd and was the 6th race of the year. Pete Hamilton in the #25 Gene White Camaro won his first race in the series.

The results of the last race of the season are posted below.

Dargan Watts
@dargan-watts
13 years ago
38 posts

I was the last announcer heard at the 5/8-mile high-banked oval. I don't know the degree of banking, but I would say it was 25 degrees or better. I don't remember the date it closed, but the reason for closing was the limited number of cars and drivers. The so-called track manager who happened to know nothing about promoting a track convinced the owner into letting all of the area dirt track cars compete against the super-fast late models and it turned into a disaster. One of the dirt cars spun in the third turn and here came one of the late models full bore into him. The late model driver got out of his car unhurt as did the dirt track driver, but the late model sat at the bottom of the track and burned completely to the ground. The track had on hand a fire truck as well as two commercial type fire trucks, but all of them emptied their trucks and still couldn't put the fire out. Some of the drivers who competed that final year are: Rusty Wallace, Mark Martin, Freddie Fryar, Bobby Allison and the father-son Nydeckins. The owner was a real estate developer and turned the track property into a housing development. He donated the lights, speakers and light poles to the Baton Rouge Babe Ruth Baseball group.

Mark Cole
@mark-cole
11 years ago
2 posts

I saw several races at that track in the early to mid 70's. I know the history of how it got built was dubious at best and there were always reports of shady things involving the managers/owners, etc. I do remember it being very fast and saw many great drivers there including the ones you mentioned. Freddy Fryar was one of the best I ever saw. My uncle owned a car with Big Bill Porter that used to run at the old Dixieland Speedway west of New Orleans off of Airline Hwy on Alameda Road. I would love to see pictures from that place if anyone has any. 3/8 mile asphalt that ran Saturday nights in the 60's and early 70's.

Harry Angus
@harry-angus
10 years ago
3 posts

Hi Cory,

I'm in search of a photo of Baton Rouge International Speedway for a book project I'm working on. Do you have one? I'd need it at least 1 mb in size. You can email me at slipnut01@gmail.com

Thanks

Harry

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Dirt cars on a paved track...........does not work. However, in the vintage world, the idea is still kicked around. And, still don't work..........dirt cars are built "looser", it takes more than a tire change.....it's an inherently dangerous concept.

Mark Cole
@mark-cole
10 years ago
2 posts

The last time I went to track in Prairieview was the summer of 1978. You could tell it was at the end of its road. There weren't many cars or spectators. It was a shame as it was a good tack to watch a race at. Wish I had a picture also.

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Used to watch NASCAR modified drivers in the 60s race at at Southside Speedway in Richmond on Friday night and take the same modifieds to dirt Langley Field in Hampton on Saturday night. Put on wonderful races at both places.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Harry Angus
@harry-angus
9 years ago
3 posts

Looking for pictures of Louisiana International Speedway in Prairieville, LA. Does anyone have one?

Harry Angus
@harry-angus
9 years ago
3 posts

My email is slipnut01@gmail.com

DIrtshooter
@dirtshooter
7 years ago
26 posts

When I was young (5-8 y.o.) JIS was my home track, 1969-72. I have very few memories of it. I do remember the very low 1 rail armco guardrail down the backstretch that was very easy to go over. Also the treacherous "3 foot flat lip" on the frontstretch, that would suck you into the front wall if you got your right sides off the banking onto the flat.

Jackson was one bad fast joint. It and Winchester swapped the "Supermodified World record" regularly.

Lake Speed of NASCAR fame and former karting World Champion drove late model Camaros there.

The "track rule" was under caution, if you pit, you get your spot back in the lineup. Regardless of how many laps you were in for service as long as you were back on track before one to go. With all the crazy rules NASCRAP has implemented in the last few years maybe this will be next! LMAO happy-7   

--
Like my Daddy always said, "If ya gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be TOUGH!"
arthurhouston
@arthurhouston
4 years ago
1 posts

BRIS was built by Edward Grady Partin opened think 1966 fall was cold night was there.  Sportman 200 lap race won by David Person. Driving the Cotton Owens Dodge.  Ran press box from opening until May 68.    Track became the Pelican Speedway around 70s.  Closed in 78.  Last race was two 50 lap events won by Ronnie Sanders.  Biggest name to come out the track was Billy Hagan. Driver for a while until one night almost killed himself hit light pole back stretch and car caught fire.  Became owner of the 44 Stranograph Cup racing team and won it all with Bobby and Terry Lebonte.   He was from Lafayette La. The track was to big and way to fast for local racing.  It was a copy of Bristol Int.  Many many great name in the sport raced on this track.