Brown VS Myers Behind the scenes

S.T.A.R.S. Radio
@stars-radio
10 years ago
514 posts

Our Other Family

Kyle Froman and Burt Myers

For almost 9 years Michelle and I have been a part of an incredible community, the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour. For almost 9 years this community of people has transitionedfrom strangers to friends, and from friends to our racing family.

We are a diverse bunch of people, yet each person in our family is uniquely beautiful in their own way.

Weve sharedsome tremendous moments of joy together and weve also been on the brink of despair together. Weve welcomed new people into our family and weve said goodbye to dear friends. Weve celebrated life and mourned death. Together we have traversed seemingly every emotion possible.

At times it has been a really fun ride and at times it has been completely overwhelming.

Yet, we wouldnt trade a moment of the beautiful experiences weve had together.

Over the past 9 years weve seen the best and the worst of our family; as they have of us. There have been moments weve all been proud of and there have been moments wed like to move beyond and forget. Competition blended with passion can create some memorable, if not crazy, moments. Its not excused, but in a way it is expected.

Over the past 9 years ourlove has intensified for each person within our NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour family. As weve gotten to know each and every person behind the helmets, wrenches, tires, uniforms, and grills weve come to appreciate the remarkable hearts each person has. Seriously, some amazing people are a part of our family.

Many of you will never hear the stories we get to hear, see the little things weget to see, know the people weget to know.

That is why weeks like this week affect me like this. It is very hard for me to see my family under fire. This isnt the first time my family has been under attack, and it certainly wont be the last timebut this time I am compelled to speak up.

Burt Myers (and team) and Tim Brown (and team) are my family.

Yes, they are rivals, but they are also my family.

Kyle Froman and Tim Brown

Over the past few days Ive readcountless personal attacks against both men from the outside. Remarks and comments that move beyond ability behind the wheel and shoot at the character and person behind the helmets and drivers suits.

Just as it would bother me with my blood family, it bothers me with my racing family. It bothers me that the targets of these attacks are good men. They have families. They have lives beyond the wheel. They have hearts.

With the onset of social media we all do a good job of dehumanizing others. We throw our daggers at politicians and athletes, movie stars and neighbors. We have no regard for how deep those daggers cut. We have no regard for how those daggers slashothers as they fly through the air.

In traffic we will verbally slay someone who cuts us off; exhibitingno regard for them as a person. On social media we will completely shred the customer service rep we had a poor experience with without any concern for them as a fellow human. We will trample over anyone with a differing opinion. We will offer no grace to anyone who has stepped out of line.

I believe when we stop and contemplate what we are saying we are all better than that.

Proverbs 12:18 reminds us, There is one whose rash words are like sword thrusts, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.

Our words are powerful, they can build up others or they can destroy others. Whoever said sticks and stones can break your bones but words can never hurt you must have never been the recipient of hateful words. They do hurt. They do affect how we see ourselves and how we interact with others.

Ask anyone who has been bullied.

So it hurts me to see my family under fire. It hurts me to see two men that I know very well taking the shots they are taking. It hurts me to see them dehumanized; because they are good men.

Behind the wheel they are passionate. They are zealous. And yes, they are rivals.

But you dont know my family like I do.

Im not asking anyone to change who they support or to change their opinion of what happened on the track; but I am asking us all to always remember that the recipients of our attacks are real people, with families, and hearts. Whether we are talking about motor sports, politics, entertainment or just day to day life we should never feel like it is okay to cut others with our words.

Im continually reminded of what James wrote, With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in Gods likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing.

I pray that is never said of me.

Instead, let Ephesians 4:29be my daily reminder, Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your [my] mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may.

Life is more than racing. People are more than what they do. There is something much bigger at stake when we talk the way we do. We dont have to agree and it wont always be unicorns and rainbows, but our words have tremendous power.Let us all look for ways tospeak life, to each other and to others.

Author: Kyle Froman

Kyle Froman is co-author of "The Race: Living Life on Track" along with Darrell Waltrip and Billy Mauldin. As Motor Racing Outreach's Director of Development, Kyle oversees a network of 40 Associate Chaplains as well as external donor and relational development. Having been involved in motor sports ministry since 2004, Kyle also currently serves as the Chaplain for the NASCAR Whelen Southern Modified Tour. Kyle currently lives in Spring Hill with his bride Michelle, and two boys, Micah and Kaleb.

updated by @stars-radio: 12/05/16 04:09:31PM
Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

Burt all the way

Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

I am "assuming" that what you've written refers to comments made by fans following the pro rasslin' style entertainment put on by Brown & Myers at Bowman-Gray the other Saturday night?

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
10 years ago
9,137 posts

Something that is really bothersome is that when the Winston-Salem Journal conducted an on-line poll this week of whether readers thought the penalties levied against Brown and Myers by NASCAR officials were fair or unfair, nearly 58% selected the "I Don't Care" option.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
bill mcpeek
@bill-mcpeek
10 years ago
820 posts

Since I haven't seen any of the fans comments I wont and cant comment to what was saidbut with that said, what I see in the video isn't racing but "you broke my toy so I'll break yours" ......add me to the 58%....

Johnny Mallonee
@johnny-mallonee
10 years ago
3,259 posts

For as long as I can remember the racing there has always had a great crowd. Never has there been a race there that people went home disappointed. you see women get into the thrill of the races, true some may be there just for the wrecks but some are there to see their favorite driver who may live close by to where they live or from their town. Then you have those that love short track racing and that is what the place is good at producing.

True the Hatfield and McCoy's type of of feuding or as some call it fighting is a long standard. If the track were any longer I can see where it would be very dangerous but DONT you think some of this is choreographed? My opinion on this !