Aerials of Forsyth County "Dixie Classic" Fairgrounds Speedway in Winston-Salem, NC

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Forsyth County Dixie Classic Fairgrounds located in Winston-Salem opened in 1952 after moving from the smaller Piedmont Park Fairgrounds (1897-1951) located 3 miles east beside the Smith Reynolds Airport.

The Dixie Classic Fairgrounds featured a half-mile dirt track built for horse harness racing but also hosted stock car, midget car, and motorcycle racing. And then of course, there was always the Joie Chitwood Thrill Show at the annual fair.

The speedway was the host of 2 NASCAR Grand National events in 1955, both won by Lee Petty.

It also was a regular on the regional AMA flat track circuit through the '60s and '70s.

Here is a nice collection of motorcycle photos at the track - https://plus.google.com/photos/107860458044008963528/albums/5346754380080494881?banner=pwa

In the early '80s the track was demolished as the fairgrounds were reconfigured for a new coliseum that opened in 1987. The grandstands were spared and are now used for (very small) figure 8 races and concerts during the fair.

*Edited for factual errors

Construction in 1951 -

1966 -

1971 -

1978 -

Today -

updated by @robert-mitchell: 12/05/16 04:08:38PM
Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Modified-Sportsman race - Oct 12,1963

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

Thanks I actually visited that site on Earth but didn't know there was a track there! D'oh!

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Jack, thanks for the article! I was not aware of this tragedy at the fairgrounds. The article also states the track was designed for harness horse racing instead of motor racing, which I had wrong and will correct in my write-up.

I knew the old fairgrounds track built by Will Reynolds was originally intended for harness racing because that was his passion, but I assumed the horse racing had died out by the time this track was built. That does explain the shape of the track with it's wide front stretch and narrow back stretch, and only a chain link fence for a catch fence...which is why the spectator got killed.

Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Jack, wasn't this race part of the annual fair, and wasn't it the last stock car race at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds?

Jack Walker
@jack-walker
10 years ago
162 posts

Bobby - I just don't know for sure. I guess we need Robert, or someone else to go to the main library inWinston-Salem, and check the local newspaper archives for Oct. 1964.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

I will look into it next time I'm at the library. If I find anything I'll post it here.

Randy Myers2
@randy-myers2
10 years ago
219 posts
And as always, things change. The fairgrounds nor the fair is no longer called the Dixie Classic. Something about the word Dixie offended some.
Bobby Williamson
@bobby-williamson
10 years ago
907 posts

Imagine that

Eric Cardona
@eric-cardona
10 years ago
196 posts

'Murica, fellas.

I'm kinda mad that they don't have the Rebel 300 anymore. Let us fly the confed flag in peace.

Robert Mitchell
@robert-mitchell
10 years ago
327 posts

Actually, it is still called Dixie Classic Fair - http://www.dcfair.com/

Robert Gregory Hendrix
@robert-gregory-hendrix
10 years ago
83 posts

It's still at the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds, too.

DIrtshooter
@dirtshooter
3 weeks ago
28 posts

ARR lists the first fairgound track as a horse track that operated 1929-41, 45-46 then moving to the current fairground. The track I found was known as Piedmont Park, confirmed info via search of current fair website.The land was sold to build a housing project. The name of the current fair has changed to The Carolina Classic Fair and the property is now the Winston Salem Fairgrounds. The first photo is circa late 20s-30s and the last one is from 1948. The next available is 1955 and the housing project is built out.

Piedmont Park 2.png   Piedmont Park.png

Piedmont Park.png
Piedmont Park.png  •  417KB

--
Like my Daddy always said, "If ya gonna be dumb, Ya gotta be TOUGH!"