Blog series about "Uncle Julie"

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts

Julius Hilton Petty - known in some circles as Julian, J.H. or even "Uncle Julie" - was born April 1, 1916. His brother Lee had a Hall of Fame racing career as did his nephews Richard and Maurice.

Julian dabbled in driving himself but without success. In the late 1950s though and again in the early 1960s, he enjoyed a pretty good round of success as a car owner in NASCAR's GN and convertible series.

Today, I introduced a blog series I'm planning for this year - to write about Julian Petty's wins as an owner with drivers such as Gwyn Staley, Jim Paschal and most notably Bob Welborn.

http://bench-racing.blogspot.com/2015/04/uncle-julie.html

I've found info and photos re: Julian to be pretty limited. I'll appreciate contributions of all kinds here or by sending me a message.

Should be fun.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.

updated by @tmc-chase: 09/11/17 10:16:38AM
Dave Fulton
@dave-fulton
9 years ago
9,137 posts

Look forward to keeping up with your new undertaking about Julian Petty.

--
"Any Day is Good for Stock Car Racing"
Alex FL Racing Fan
@alex-fl-racing-fan
9 years ago
221 posts

Actually, Julian did have success in racing. He swept an ARCA (then MARC) doubleheader at Flat Rock Speedway on September 11, 1953. ARCA has no other records except that Julian won the races.

TMC Chase
@tmc-chase
9 years ago
4,073 posts
That's good stuff. I'll have to search for an article from a newspaper, NSSN, ISN, etc. Thanks.

--
Schaefer: It's not just for racing anymore.
BL Petty
@bl-petty
last year
1 posts

Stumbled across this earlier today.  Julie was my grandfather.  I may be able to answer some questions or direct you to someone who would know more.  Let me know if this is still of interest.  One of his sons is still alive as well as his daughter.